• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Airlines' First Choice: Continental

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll tell you what. UA can keep their 747s in any merger. However, no UA can ever fly one of CAL's future 787s. Deal?

I'm willing to bet the 787s will be around a lot longer than those 747s.
It's apparent that you ave never lived through a merger, size matters.

As for the 787, any arbitrator will group it in with the 767 based on size, weight and number of pax. Arbitrators don't care if it's new and shiney. In fact neither should you, the bottom line is the $$$ (pay rate) and the 787 will pay the same as a 767 not a 747.

Last edited:
It's apparent that you ave never lived through a merger, size matters.

As for the 787, any arbitrator will group it in with the 767 based on size, weight and number of pax. Arbitrators don't care if it's new and shiney. In fact neither should you, the bottom line is the $$$ (pay rate) and the 787 will pay the same as a 767 not a 747.

From the current CAL contract:

"Widebody aircraft are: B787, B777, B747, B767, MD11, DC10, L1011, A300,​
A330, and A340. This is shown on a pilot’s pay screen as A."

When your done measuring the size of your plane, you can come back and re-enter the conversation.

We don't split up 767 and 777/747 like you might at UA. Before you speak like your a know-it-all, get your facts straight.

From the current CAL contract:

"Widebody aircraft are: B787, B777, B747, B767, MD11, DC10, L1011, A300,
A330, and A340. This is shown on a pilot’s pay screen as A."

When your done measuring the size of your plane, you can come back and re-enter the conversation.

We don't split up 767 and 777/747 like you might at UA. Before you speak like your a know-it-all, get your facts straight.

G4G5's NOT with UAL. He's an AMR furloughee flying G5s. He is merely citing his opinon on where the 787 is going to fall in the eyes of an arbiter.
You need to cut back on the caffeine.

Please, no. United screwed away its reputation and stature and now wants to rebuild it by merging with a company that has some.

Sorta like Continental in the mid to late 80's...How soon we forget.:rolleyes:

PHXFLYR:cool:

Ewr, Iah, Cle--gag

Sorry Andy-I rarely post as you can see but I must disagree here. If I'd wanted to fly out of any of CAL's garden spots, I would have applied there.

UAL pilots should get some consideration for the fact that CAL's bases are generally undesireable (understatement) while UAL's are where people want to live.

Relative seniority would not protect us from the CAL hoards coming West. High fences will.

I'll be leaving my regional in a few weeks to start at United. Staying at a regional seems less wise than starting over, even with furlough potential.
I'm hoping that whatever helps the carrier survive recession and high oil prices is a good thing, even merger.
It seems the nwa/delta guys are talking again, the benefits (contract improvements, security) of a merger are too apparent to walk away from because of petty issues. What good is retaining your wide-body seniority if your carrier goes into bankruptcy again?
Should ual and continental move forward, please think of the welfare of ALL pilots, not just your own...

Last edited:
I don't think that there will be many pushing for DOH at UAL. I haven't seen anyone suggest that on our ALPA boards. We went through that with USAirways in 2000 and are now the senior pilots DOH-wise compared to CAL.
Some have suggested tall fences, as what happened with NWA/Republic. I oppose fences because it will create too many barriers within the pilot group.
I would be very disappointed with UAL ALPA if they did not propose a reasonable seniority integration from the start. To do otherwise sets the pilots up for unrealistic expectations.
In my case, I'd benefit greatly from DOH; I was hired at UAL in 2000. I don't expect to see my relative seniority change by more than +/- a couple of percent.

I hope that a merger does not occur, but if one were to occur with United, I'd hope it to be with CAL. It makes the most sense in terms of route structures. There is not a great deal of overlap which would mean less cutbacks.

I could not have said it any better myself. I am at CAL and hope "we stay the course" but if we have to merge hopefully there are others like us.

Sorry Andy-I rarely post as you can see but I must disagree here. If I'd wanted to fly out of any of CAL's garden spots, I would have applied there.

UAL pilots should get some consideration for the fact that CAL's bases are generally undesireable (understatement) while UAL's are where people want to live.

Relative seniority would not protect us from the CAL hoards coming West. High fences will.

You didn't list Guam.

I'm not a fan of fences. Just spend some time with senior NWA pilots. You'll get an earful about the NWA/Republic merger way back in 1986. 22 years later, and 2 years after the fences came down.

I like UAL's domiciles better, but would probably go for IAH due to lower cost of living. I would think that there'd be movement from both sides to the other domiciles. In all, it'd probably be a wash.

I'll be leaving my regional in a few weeks to start at United. Staying at a regional seems less wise than starting over, even with furlough potential.

Good luck to ya; when do you start at TK? I'll be there on 14 April for a week and a half; then back at the end of April for 4 weeks of 767 training.

I'm sure a lot went into your decision. Just make sure to have other plans in case you get furloughed. In the long run, I think that you'll be happier with coming to United.
United's also been undermanned for quite a while and the contract allows for the company to build lines down to 65 hours; I think that they'll use this option before any furloughs. With many pilots flying 89/95, there's a lot of reductions that can be made prior to furloughing.

Latest resources

Back