• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Union: Delta wants to cut pilot jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just curious, but would DL offer more than what SWA is offering?

they've already said that we would be overstaffed for the fall but short for next summer so why is this a surprise? They probably know they are going to have significant training costs anyway as stuff shifts around so why not get rid of some senior guys and hire new guys next year. we'll see

they've already said that we would be overstaffed for the fall but short for next summer so why is this a surprise? They probably know they are going to have significant training costs anyway as stuff shifts around so why not get rid of some senior guys and hire new guys next year. we'll see

This is exactly what is up. They don't need guys this summer, but don't want the training churn associated with furloughing then recalling next summer. What they do is figure out what it would cost to furlough a guy then offer under that amount of money for the old guys to leave. Then next summer they will hire 300-500 guys that are on first year pay reducing the overall cost of the group. It's called the juniority effect and it can save alot of money if managed right. The only reason why they are doing it is because it saves them money, they aren't doing it to be nice to the old guys.

Glenn Tilton famous quote, " why would i pay you to retire?"

i dont get it either - you would think that the airline ( any airline for that matter) would want to have as many pilots as they could at the lowest rates of pay ie ( new hires) that represents a huge savings right there.

i just dont get it. And yeah it's unfortuante that it prob wont be any better than SW, so what maybe 2-400 people take it combined.

who would take a lump sum of 150K when they make that anyway- not to mention the tax on a lump sum.

But at least any future furloughees have jobs at compass-- that is a nice security blanket.

SKIPPY

get rid of any Sliding pay scale and the whole picture changes.
A first officer is a first officer, A Capt is a Capt. If you get rid of Bscale or what ever you want to call it. The company would stop manipulating the work force to get the cheapest payroll.
I like the European contract systems. You hire in as a Capt/ Fo at the current rate . longevity is not an issue. Qualifications pay, not Seniority .Seniority is used for things like travel benefits, vacation and such not Salary.

Don't confuse them with the truth, Super, FI will lock up.

It's the economy, not the merger.... :erm:

And if we had a good enough economy, every airline would have 13,000 pilots. Right?

This was called when the ink was still wet on the merger docs. Nothing new under the sun.

TC

It's the economy, not the merger.... :erm:

You can't be serious. Did you really think there was not going to be job loss with the merger. I know the company said there will not be if they merge, but there will always be an excuse to furlough (SARS, Fuel, Economy, etc.) Two companies two positions, One company one postion. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back