• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Uncle Jerry's Visit to The ASA Crew Rm

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't really care about the numbers. It just goes right along with the "refusal" (call it whatever you want to but, saying "we don't have those numbers" isn't an honest anwer) to tell the % change by both sides since the negotiations began.

All that matters is that I have a choice to vote for someone outside the current clique. And make no mistake about it, there IS a clique. Don't think so???? try asking a question during an LEC meeting that doesn't "toe the party line" and see how many people try to "beat you down".

Change for change's sake is poor logic.

"...a good amount of compromise between both management and our pilot group"

......Okay, so every time the negotiating committee moves by 10%, management moves by 0.25%. And you blame our current MEC for the lack of progress? Should we just put in new members who will agree to their 0.25% raise just so we can sign a deal? What's the point? I prefer to allow the current MEC to continue to negotiate for what the pilots continue to indicate that they want in poll after poll.

1. On pay, our side hasn't moved 10%. In fact, I believe management has moved more on payrates than ALPA has.

2. How do we know the polling data is correct? Do you really think the majority of pilots are still holding out for a retirement plan and to keep the instructor section the way it it? I don't think so.

3. I want a big raise also, but I want to stop the transfer of assets even more. If we cant stop the transfer of assets without giving up the big raise I want, then protect the jobs before you fight for the big raise.

Change for change's sake is poor logic.

"...a good amount of compromise between both management and our pilot group"

......Okay, so every time the negotiating committee moves by 10%, management moves by 0.25%. And you blame our current MEC for the lack of progress? Should we just put in new members who will agree to their 0.25% raise just so we can sign a deal? What's the point? I prefer to allow the current MEC to continue to negotiate for what the pilots continue to indicate that they want in poll after poll.
hmmm. lets see....I recall mgmt. asking for something like 8% reduction for 700 ca. and a single rate for all fo's (could have been more but, I don't really remember). I also recall ALPA asking for something like 12 or 13 % rate increases (also could have been more...I'm trying to be a little conservative).

Te last offer I saw from BOTH side was ALPA demanding 10 % and and mgmt. coming back with fo split rate (not sinlge rate for all planes) and after 2 years a .25 % ca. on teh 70.....STILL NOT ACCEPTABLE (so don't even try that silliness) BBBBUUUUTTTTT, call me silly here but, I don't see 10% movement from ALPA and I see FAR more than .25% from mgmt. But hey! "We don't know those numbers" so I guess we'll never know for sure. Will we? Nah, didn't think so.

I was in the lounge during the visit. After the formalities another FO asked why skywest was hiring so many and we were downgrading captains. Jerry responded that we were "not as cost effective" and skywest provided a better product. Later that night I started thinking, if that's the case then why did Jerry buy us? Surely that would have been researched before making a $500 million purchase. Why are we making such a profit if we aren't "cost effective"? My buddies at Skywest say they're hiring 2 or 3 classes of 70 a month. Jerry said this was not true. If what they say is true (that the rate of hiring will continue until June) that be roughly 1300 pilots. Are these our ASA replacement pilots?

hmmm. lets see....I recall mgmt. asking for something like 8% reduction for 700 ca. and a single rate for all fo's (could have been more but, I don't really remember). I also recall ALPA asking for something like 12 or 13 % rate increases (also could have been more...I'm trying to be a little conservative).

Te last offer I saw from BOTH side was ALPA demanding 10 % and and mgmt. coming back with fo split rate (not sinlge rate for all planes) and after 2 years a .25 % ca. on teh 70.....STILL NOT ACCEPTABLE (so don't even try that silliness) BBBBUUUUTTTTT, call me silly here but, I don't see 10% movement from ALPA and I see FAR more than .25% from mgmt. But hey! "We don't know those numbers" so I guess we'll never know for sure. Will we? Nah, didn't think so.

Based on what I have seen from both sides, you are correct. Management has moved more on a percentage basis on payrates. In fact, as far as I can see we have moved very little on payrates and we are still asking for a retirement plan which everyone admits isn't going to happen.

I was in the lounge during the visit. After the formalities another FO asked why skywest was hiring so many and we were downgrading captains. Jerry responded that we were "not as cost effective" and skywest provided a better product. Later that night I started thinking, if that's the case then why did Jerry buy us? Surely that would have been researched before making a $500 million purchase. Why are we making such a profit if we aren't "cost effective"? My buddies at Skywest say they're hiring 2 or 3 classes of 70 a month. Jerry said this was not true. If what they say is true (that the rate of hiring will continue until June) that be roughly 1300 pilots. Are these our ASA replacement pilots?
hmm. good question....maybe you should ask ASA ALPA. Keep in mind though that "the 900's were not coming to ASA anyway" and "the SLC 700's won't be transfered to SkyW"...Replaced by JUNE? Doubt it. But, alpa will either get reasonable or we'll be a shell of our former self quicker than you thought possible....he!!, that much even I can guarantee.

I think that Jerry would have a better answer than ALPA on that, but maybe I'll ask them. War Eagle, buddy.

SkyW will "provide a better product" as long as they stay OUT of the ATL system and off the east coast (I'd like to see their OT and COMP #'s for UAL on the east coast and ORD...not sure they're much better than our DL #'s).

The airspace we share up and down the east coast and the inherant problems with ATL will ALWAYS keep the #'s low (why do you think Southwest and Jetblue won't have ANYTHING to do with ATL?). JA is not a dumb man. He knows this as well as anyone. If ASA can settle a contract that "keeps our costs reasonable", he'll turn ATL back over to ASA (including the 900's) and keep SkyW #'s high.

I think that Jerry would have a better answer than ALPA on that, but maybe I'll ask them. War Eagle, buddy.
yeah WAR EAGLE! they weren't very impressive today but, I enjoyed sitting in the sun all afternoon. I just hope next week is an early afternoon game ( not set yet because of TV). Otherwise its gonna be a bit chilly. No matter though, my son and I get to be on the field next week. Wouldn't miss it for the world!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back