Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAX Letter to UAL Pilots over jumpseat dispute.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thats the spirit.....just do nothing ! Why did we all overlook that? Man, you could be a democrat.......er.....wait....I bet you are !
No, I just stating a fact. I did something about it. I got $10K donated from ALPA to have the Wilson Center conduct a professional poll of the SkyWest pilot group and no one wanted to take it. I even donated my time, wrote letters, spent over $3,000, and called pilots to ask for thier support to form an in house union. The data we collected was that the SkyWest pilot group can't decide on anything and are divided on everything. So I know for a fact the SkyWest pilots did not sign this silly letter.

Best of luck.

So I know for a fact the SkyWest pilots did not sign this silly letter.

Can someone produce this letter with actual signatures? Just because some SKW pilot wrote it and put some other airline names on the bottom doesn't mean that each respective MEC signed off on it.

First off, this problem does need to get fixed in the computer.

Thats about all I agree with. The method chosen by the SkyWest jumpseat coordinator is embarassing and opens our pilots up to retribution in the form of jumpseat denials. Threatening the largest ALPA MEC with a jumpseat war is nothing more than bully tactics. I am surprised that SkyWest management even allowed this memo to go out. As a contract carrier, is it worth jeopardizing your relationship with UAL over this?

Thats about all I agree with. The method chosen by the SkyWest jumpseat coordinator is embarassing and opens our pilots up to retribution in the form of jumpseat denials. Threatening the largest ALPA MEC with a jumpseat war is nothing more than bully tactics. I am surprised that SkyWest management even allowed this memo to go out. As a contract carrier, is it worth jeopardizing your relationship with UAL over this?

I think the point is that the changes made to the computer program that assigns jumpseat priority amounted to a breach in the jumpseat agreement. As contract carriers, I think that the UAX management needs to be seen as serious people who won't roll over and expect their agreements to be honored and enforced.

SkyWest has won jumpseats disputes with United in the past. Using similar tactics.

There's a simple solution to this problem: "this airplane isn't moving until the proper jumpseater is onboard. I can sit here all day. What's it going to be?" Gate agent will back down every time.
And your Captain will let you say that? You are just a PFT biatch, now shut up and get that manifest done, quickly!
PBR

Sweet,
Little ole' non-union SKYW, bullying the largest ALPA mec.
Kinda makes you go hmmmm....
PBR

The Letter is Invalid Thanks To SkyWest

Here is the problem,

United has bigger problems then some kind of silly jumpseat war from the regional pilots. They need to make payroll, buy fuel, sell tickets, retire old aircraft, refine the schedule, and Oh, I forgot, repaint the TED airplanes.

All this letter is going to do is piss off a already pissed off United pilot who is going to get furloughed anyway and has nothing to lose. He has been watching the cocky regional pilots take their flying away, so he is going to write a pass to ride on your airplane for free and deny every regional pilot the jumpseat.

Now suddenly a bunch of SkyWest pilots fail to show up to work. A SkyWest Assistant Chief Pilot wants to know why so he calls in the SAPA Jumpseat Representative for an answer. But wait it gets better, some Kool-Aid Drinker 300 hour CFI SkyWest pilot try to score points brings in a copy of the letter they copied off of FightInfo and its is signed by the SkyWest Pilots.

The SAPA Rep can answer only 3 different ways but they all come to the same conclusion.

Possible answer 1: I have know nothing about this letter. They just put us (SkyWest) on it without asking.

Possible answer 2: Yes I talked with the other jumseat cordinators about this issue, but I didn't agree to it.

Or possible answer 3: Yes I went to the meeting and it made me angry as hell and I signed the letter.

Remember there is only one out come.

For Answer 1: Chief Pilot says, "we need you to sign this letter we have written on you behalf by legal to refute this letter.

For Answers 2: Chief Pilot says, "who did you talk to, becuase I am going to call thier Chief Pilot and tell them about this. We need you to sign this letter stating that your words were miss understood and you don't agree to this letter. You will also sign this letter resigning as a SAPA representative effective imediately.

And Finally Answer 3: The Chief Pilots Says, "What the Fu*& were you thinking? If you want to kept your job here you will sign this letter stating that its just a big missunderstanding and you did not understand what you were signing. You will resign from SAPA and you are on suspension untill further notice of review of your past performances.

All three have the same conclusion. SkyWest will deny all involement with this letter. The card house will start to crumble and the jumpseat issue will never get resolved.

Last edited:
There are a few Skywest pilots here that think that because of their size that the world owes them something, and that their feces doth not stinketh.

Whatever.

Here's what I see, SkyWest pilots - There are no "pilots" who have any authority to sign anything. You are right, "Skywest pilots" couldn't have signed that letter, because there really IS no "skywest" voice. Which is fine. I do not mean to bring a Union fight into this. Your pilot group has voted down ALPA what, twice? 3 times? I don't really care, but your pilot group spoke. Noted.

That does not address the issue of THIS thread, so quit HIJACKING it for your little egocentric own agenda that no one really cares about.

The bottom line is this - what's going on with the UAL pilots wanting priority jump seating on a UAX plane is WRONG.

Here's my question - Has any UAX pilot seen a UAL pilot try to TAKE the jumpseat from a pilot who works for the UAX carrier he's trying to jump on? My guess is no, or, if it happens, the flight crew knew nothing about it.

As Captain, I will make sure that no company pilot gets bumped for a UAL pilot on my plane, but I will not be denying UAL pilots if the seat is available for them, either.

At this critical time, it does UAL no good to get into a jumpseat war with its UAX carriers, and there are going to be a lot of line pilots who were enjoying more days off and less days worked that will be reversing that, and guys holding lines who will now find themselves sitting on reserve. Crashpad time again. The jumpseats on the UAX carriers will be very valuable to all of them. They need to respect the UAX pilots with equal respect that the UAX pilots give them. They are not asking for anything extraordinary, only what is fair.

So. SkyWest pilots put a sock in it regarding "who" signed the letter. "who" cares. You're an UAX carrier. You should be standing with the other UAX carriers anyway, as this concerns your pilots too. It's your own fault you don't have a true "voice" of someone who could have signed it and is NOT part of this discussion.

PS - I also used to work for 9E. If anyone knows who this PCL guy is I'd like to hear about it. He seems to have an opinion on everything. I could probably narrow it down to a dozen guys to choose from. ;-)

Last edited:
Oh my, time for a reality check. PCL, the quintessential know nothing big mouth of this group, called ONE FRIEND AT UAL and from that has determined that the UAL pilots will "shred" the UAX pilots. Everybody get that?

PCL, give it a rest. Nobody cares what you think. And quit acting like the authority on ALPA just because you were a rep at Pinnacle for a few years. Cause, you know, Pinnacle is really the "flagship" of ALPA represented pilots with that great contract an all, right?

PCL, this is none of your business. Stay out of it. I for one, am tired of seeing you inject your opinion of how ALPA pilots are saving the world into every stinking thread. Besides, you're not even an ALPA member anymore!

BoxOffice is now on my hero pilot list. Now off to YouTube to find that "Box in a Box" video...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back