• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAV's for UPT Grads

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Noted. So how can a guy that just operates the box ever get enough situational awareness to be on the same page if he's never actually been (read flown) in a tactical environment himself?

That is a damn good question! Obviously the former Chief of Staff felt it was important enough to snag some of our best, young fighter guys and send them to the UAS world. Just like any other tactical platform out there...when teaching new operators it is important to develop a culture of discipline and competency. That has to be a challenge for the UAS community due to the rapid expansion. Hardly any time to develop well established procedures and techniques like in other more mature systems.

It is an especially hard sell when the people you send there don't really want to be there doing the job. I agree with the idea of establishing a new AFSC primarily composed of WOs....so called techical experts in this new and expanding field. It seems to work well for the Army in their flying communities.

It really doesn't matter who controls these UAS platforms...the important part is how we train them to operate in a tactical environment. Whatever pipeline the AF decides on is mostly a mute point (except to those who are non-vol'd). If we continue to expand the weapons capabilities up to the point nearing an actual fighter, then the training for UAS operaters needs to be at that level also. Not so much from the piloting perspective, but with weaponering, cas procedures, etc.

After having a few long discussions with some of our former Lts working on the Pred/Reaper last week, they don't believe it is anywhere near where it NEEDS to be. Whether it is an A1C, new UPT grad, or senior Capt with thousands of hours in a tanker who ends up behind the console, they all need to be on the same page when it comes to tactical employment. Hopefully we don't lose sight of that in the flail to get as many systems in theater as quickly as possible...

Disagree with bolded statement. You contradict yourself. You say what's really important is "how" we train them and then in your next statement you say the pipeline used to train them is a mute point. A mute point? Really? Pipelines are how we train them. I think it's the most relavent point and the reason why we have 6+ pages and over 100 posts on this thread.

Read XTWAPilot's post just above yours. Why spend millions of dollars training someone to fly model aiplanes? Let's come up with a different pipeline that changes "how" we train them. It will certainly save taxpayer money and it will funnel UPT students into airplanes- where they belong.

This just in from RND

...Let's come up with a different pipeline that changes "how" we train them. It will certainly save taxpayer money and it will funnel UPT students into airplanes- where they belong.

10/7/2008 - RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFNS) -- Air Force officers are being sought as volunteers to operate unmanned aircraft systems. Applications are due to the Air Force Personnel Center no later than Nov. 3.

The first ten officers selected will start UAS operator training in January 2009, and another ten will begin training in April 2009.

The UAS is a big part of the future of the Air Force, Air Force officials said. First-hand knowledge of its capabilities and operations will be critical to future combat effectiveness as well as future Air Force leadership. Pilots flying operational missions or working in the Predator Operations Center get a unique perspective on world events, typically while such events are in progress.

In order to volunteer, officers must complete the test of basic aviation skills, or TBAS, by Oct. 31. Testing locations for the TBAS can be found on the Pilot Candidate Selection Method Web site. A Common Access Card is required to access this site.

In addition to the TBAS, officers must meet the following requirements:

-- Captain with 4-6 years total active federal commissioned service as of Jan. 5, 2009
-- Be less than 30 years old Jan. 5, 2009
-- Air Force Officer Qualification Test minimum scores greater than 25 for pilot, and greater than 50 for combined pilot and navigator composites. Note: if no AFOQT is on file, complete the AFOQT by Oct. 31, 2008
-- Two years time on station by July 1, 2009
-- No previous military pilot training experience

With respect to eligibility to volunteer:
-- Non-rated line officers are eligible
-- Combat system officers, panel navigators, electronic warfare officers, weapons system officers and air battle managers are eligible if they are not currently in training, awaiting training, or previously eliminated from upgrade pilot training.
-- Pilots are not eligible for this program

Volunteers meeting the criteria above and wanting to apply must complete the Aircrew Training Candidate Data Summery, Air Force Form 215, and electronically forward the completed form to Pipeline and Training Assignment Branch at [email protected] by 4 p.m. CST, Nov. 3, 2008. Group or squadron commanders -- do not use a higher level -- must provide their recommendations on the form. No other documentation will be accepted as part of the application process.

Interested officers who have questions about the application process, or the qualifications, can contact AFPC's Pipeline and Training Assignment Branch at (210) 565-2330, DSN 665-2330.

More information about this program can be found on the AFPC "Ask" Web site by entering "UAS" in the search engine. Individuals also can contact the 24-hour Air Force Contact Center at (800) 616-3775.

HH

Disagree with bolded statement. You contradict yourself. You say what's really important is "how" we train them and then in your next statement you say the pipeline used to train them is a mute point. A mute point? Really? Pipelines are how we train them. I think it's the most relavent point and the reason why we have 6+ pages and over 100 posts on this thread.

Read XTWAPilot's post just above yours. Why spend millions of dollars training someone to fly model aiplanes? Let's come up with a different pipeline that changes "how" we train them. It will certainly save taxpayer money and it will funnel UPT students into airplanes- where they belong.

My thoughts didn't translate well into words in that sentence. By "pipeline" I was meaning more along the lines of those who end operating these things (i.e. pilots, WOs, Enlisted, etc)...not so much how we train them. Poor choice of words on my part!!!

I just wanna know... when is the first class of UAV nerds going through the Weapons School?

As soon as they have a need to get themselves promoted they will cook up a UAV weapons school. Weapons school has become a promotion tool.

Guys that "fly" satellites are already there. UAV 'pilots' couldn't be any worse.

Who? Newton? A guy I used to work with finished up his career as Superintendent out there at Peterson. When I talked to him, he smugly explained how he was "flying" GPS satellites and asked me what I had been doing.

"Nothing as exiting as that."

I told him. :laugh:

It's amazing what these guys tell themselves to sleep better at night. I bet we only hear a tenth of their thoughts.

Latest resources

Back