• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAV's for UPT Grads

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That would sooooo s#ck to finish UPT only to get an UAV. Wow, I don't know what to say other than F... that! That would be worth crashing one of those on your first SOLO flight.

I asked my boss that very question before I went off to Iraq. "What happens if (when) I crash one? Do I write an email asking you to send me another or do I convene a Mishap Investigation Board?" The answer was that it depends. When I did lose one it was pretty obvious what happened and the thing was about to be replaced so it fell into the email category. A friend of mine lost one and the Mishap Board was suggested. That fell through when somebody pointed out that although the mishap involved loss of the aircraft, there was no Naval Aircraft involved since the thing had no actual existence to the Navy.

P.S. I'm sure that the USAF has somewhat more structured procedures for the loss of a UAV.

Any Guard units flying these things yet? I would love to sit home and drink beer while logging a double and let my kid play with daddy's new "Nintendo" system....:rolleyes:

just a comment from a non mil guy, but I personally would have preferred C17, KC10, or KC135 airframes due to amount of flying and international travel.

Its not a F-16, I admit, but I dont see why more young guys dont see that the whole world does not revolve around flying a single seat fighter

There are two types of aircraft in the world. Fighters and targets. Get it?

I visited 13 countries last year, flying a single seat fighter... so your point is, well, wrong.

This UAV out of UPT is a complete waste of money and human resources. Frankly I'm appalled at this program.

I visited 13 countries last year, flying a single seat fighter... so your point is, well, wrong.

This UAV out of UPT is a complete waste of money and human resources. Frankly I'm appalled at this program.

Yeah clearly you can do that. Heck, I have visited 8 countries and I fly a King Air. :p

I guess my overall point was that of the types, I was under the impression that in civilian and wartime, the transport/tanker guy will fly more hours and see more places. But I don't know.

I agree with your UAV comments.

Any Guard units flying these things yet? I would love to sit home and drink beer while logging a double and let my kid play with daddy's new "Nintendo" system....:rolleyes:

actually, there is the answer. Give it to the Guard and Reserves. Would be a great way for an airline pilot who wants to finish out his time in the reserves. And since they are flying for an airline, they wouldn't care about the lack of flying job in the military.

satpack,

You are 100% correct.
I have been flying for the Air Force for almost 20 years now. On the one side, no one can deny that flying a fighter would be sweet - all my fighter bro's love "strapping it on" and kicking a$$. On the other side, as you mentioned, flying "heavies" has many opportunities of its own. We see the world. I have now been to over 70 countries and to every continent on this planet (yes, even Antarctica). If a person wants to travel and experience different cultures, flying heavies is where it's at. Also, heavy guys rack up a helluva lot more flying time than fighter guys. Classmates of mine from the Zoo that went straight to fighters all have in the neighborhood of 2000-3000 hours. You can see, I have double that.
It really just depends on your personality and what/how you want to contribute to our Mission.

Yeah clearly you can do that. Heck, I have visited 8 countries and I fly a King Air. :p

I guess my overall point was that of the types, I was under the impression that in civilian and wartime, the transport/tanker guy will fly more hours and see more places. But I don't know.

I agree with your UAV comments.

KC-10 bud of mine doesn't see a lot of countries, just the same ones over and over. Nothing like hitting the UAE a dozen times. :puke:

Soon there will be also be two types of aircraft in the world. Fighters (unmanned) and targets (manned). Everyone has their preference. The top guys in my class all took heavies, fighters went to the bottom.

Latest resources

Back