• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAV's for UPT Grads

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's not true at all, half of my class put T1s first and they sent one person to T38s that didn't even want it. I only know the unfolding first hand because I was the SRO. I couldn't imagine having to strap into that little death trap every day....

That is because you are a civillian looking in...The fighter is where it is at for most. Now when you were a kid, you never dreamed of being a fighter pilot? Most kids have and still do. Once in the fighter track, you are tought/brainwashed that nothing else will due. When in reallity sometime heavies are better. You don't dropp bombs for the vast majority of heavies but you do go different places if you are in a C or K. If you are in an E, well you see a lot of the same place.

good info, interesting discussion. A good college buddy (who I long lost contact with) went into UPT in the early 90's (91 or 92) when slots I believe were hard to come by. He was a very good pilot (had a Commercial/Multi w/800 hrs TT before UPT) and "got" the Learjet, what is it, the C-21? or something. He wanted fighters.

He then logged ****loads of jet time all over the world, flying generals around, etc, and now is at SWA.

By the way, thanks for the service you guys provide for keeping our country safe.

We've been hearing rumors of UAS' dropping to UPT students for months now.
Wake me up when it becomes a reality.

Soon there will be also be two types of aircraft in the world. Fighters (unmanned) and targets (manned). Everyone has their preference. The top guys in my class all took heavies, fighters went to the bottom.

I would have to go ahead and call BS on that one. Unless of course those guys had an extremely wild party right before assignment night and could not see straight. We had one guy claim he would do the same; when the time came he followed us to RTU in Arizona.

I would have to go ahead and call BS on that one. Unless of course those guys had an extremely wild party right before assignment night and could not see straight. We had one guy claim he would do the same; when the time came he followed us to RTU in Arizona.

Well they did go last....but this was during the "banked" years...actual jets, then banked transports, tankers, and fighters, in that order. The logic was they would be the last to be "recalled". It was a hell of a post assignment party though. Great bunch of guys who all got along really well and zero backstabbers.

just a comment from a non mil guy, but I personally would have preferred C17, KC10, or KC135 airframes due to amount of flying and international travel.

Its not a F-16, I admit, but I dont see why more young guys dont see that the whole world does not revolve around flying a single seat fighter

That's because the fighter lifestyle is appealing to gays, so it is kind of like a social club where you can hang out with the boys and wear a scarf, and not be judged.

actually, there is the answer. Give it to the Guard and Reserves. Would be a great way for an airline pilot who wants to finish out his time in the reserves. And since they are flying for an airline, they wouldn't care about the lack of flying job in the military.

I think that the Guard unit at March AFB, CA (former KC-135) got UAV's.

The down side is that they do deploy a fair amount, because they have to have the "take-off and landing" pilots in theater.

If only the UAV pilots get the leather jacket, then it will be everyone's top choice.

Latest resources

Back