• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAV's for UPT Grads

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I, too, was one who recieved a speech from the leadership for picking a heavy instead of a fighter (although I didn't have the "honor" of an O6 interview). Do I think flying a fighter would be cool? Sure, for about a month. Like dtfl said, in the end it comes down to QOL for some folks. I decided I'd rather travel the globe drinking brews with my buds, and live at the beach when I came home. Simple choice really. Have I ever regretted it? Not once. Thankfully it takes all types to make the world go 'round. Not everyone makes a UPT MWS choice out of "fear".

Regarding the UAV assignment - SFW? If they stay AD for 20, they'll have made more $$$ than just about anyone of equivilant age getting into aviation at the moment over the same time period. Then again, so will someone who manages the bowling alley and golf course. Sad really.

I'm surprised the USAF is having such a difficult time deciding how to staff the UAS's, the need is very bad right now.

Common sense would be they segregate the two communities completely.

This would allow the pilots to actually fly airplanes, without having to worry about losing their skills sitting in a trailer operating an "airplane". You have the added benefit of a contained talent pool of UAS operators who have their entire career to carefully develop their unique skill set.

The only question left is who do you put in the trailer? I think the suggestion for enlisted folks is a good idea, but highly unlikely, even though there's a history and as somebody said, there are quite a few prior enlisted airline pilots. :D

I think the best route would be to handle it the same way the Navy handles their special warfare Officer Corps. (SEAL Officers are all prior-E SEALS.) IOW, Pipeline enlisted sensor operators who finish their degrees to OTS, commission them, send them to a modified IFS type program then train them as operators.

Given the emergence of UAS's and the fact that they will proliferate as we move forward, this would be a very sought after career field, attracting the cream of the enlisted crop. Heck, reserve a couple of UPT slots a year for the best operators.

Last edited:
Why do they need a degree and why do they need to be commissioned? Take motivated enlisted guys/gals that are interested, train them to operate UAV's and if they are successful fast track them to be WO's. Pattern it after the Army's helo community.

Why do they need a degree and why do they need to be commissioned? Take motivated enlisted guys/gals that are interested, train them to operate UAV's and if they are successful fast track them to be WO's. Pattern it after the Army's helo community.

I see where you're coming from - you and I are both former NCO's. The USAF retired their last WO in 1978, they're not bringing it back. As far as the pilot being an Officer, the reason I suggested it that way is inertia. (We've always done it that way!) With UAS pilots firing weapons on a regular basis, with a convoluted ROE involving other services and occasionally the NCA, I simply don't think the Air Staff would go for anything but commissioned officers with their finger on the pickle.

I suggested it the way I did because it would allow the very sharpest enlisted sensor operators a chance at not only a commission, but a very interesting job with great career potential as UAS become more prevalent.

I think the best route would be to handle it the same way the Navy handles their special warfare Officer Corps. (SEAL Officers are all prior-E SEALS.) IOW, Pipeline enlisted sensor operators who finish their degrees to OTS, commission them, send them to a modified IFS type program then train them as operators.

I like your idea but the bit about all SEAL officers being prior E-SEALs is not true. Plenty of officers straight out of the academy or ROTC get SEAL billets.

they should make a separate AFSC for UAVs and let the pilots be pilots. have all the people that like playing flight simulator go UAVs!!!!

A UPT graduate is the most expensive officer in the military, it's crazy to send him or her into a UAV where so much of UPT training just isn't needed. Nav school teaches all the knowledge one needs to operate an airplane or UAV anywhere in the world, it just leaves out the part where they train the pilots hands.

It seems to me that the long term answer is to have a training pipeline specifically for uav operators.

As a transition measure I'd go ahead and pay for the FAA commercial/instrument rating for any navs interested in the UAV mission.

A modified nav school that includes enough actual piloting to get an FAA commerical and instrument rating in a light plane would be a sensible low cost way to create a career uav operator.

About the only airplane or helo pilots I would force into UAVs would be the ones who say things like 'there are two kinds of airplanes, [insert mds here] and targets'. That kind of person is too immature to be trusted with autonomous control of an expensive air vehicle. He or she would be better off in the trailer where an a mature person could keep an eye on them.

It really doesn't matter who controls these UAS platforms...the important part is how we train them to operate in a tactical environment...If we continue to expand the weapons capabilities up to the point nearing an actual fighter, then the training for UAS operaters needs to be at that level also. Not so much from the piloting perspective, but with weaponering, cas procedures, etc....they all need to be on the same page when it comes to tactical employment.

Noted. So how can a guy that just operates the box ever get enough situational awareness to be on the same page if he's never actually been (read flown) in a tactical environment himself?

Noted. So how can a guy that just operates the box ever get enough situational awareness to be on the same page if he's never actually been (read flown) in a tactical environment himself?

Just make sure the uav operators can't command the squadrons. Reserve the ops officer and commander slots for pilots, the way God intended.

I watched a 15 year old work an RC airplane like he was sitting in it. It DOES NOT TAKE SOME HUGE BRAIN AND MAGICAL HANDS TO FLY A UAV. In fact, it does not take those things to fly a real airplane...regardless of pointy or blunt nose. (Helo guys are just weird...and do not fit the mold..and I have mad respect for them for that.)

I agree, take some high speed enlisted folks, send them to a Warrant Officer school and put them in UAV's and other jobs as well. Send them to a local flight school under contract and get them up to their commerical instrument in about 5 months for about 20K. You might even find some guys who already fly in their free time and would do well. You can free up some butter bar and put them in milpay and MPF where we really need people.

To take a pilot out of UPT and make them fly a UAV is flat out a waste of money. I am an enlisted guy (aircrew) and also a pilot in the civilian world, I could do the damn job...but am very happy where I am .

This is NOT rocket surgery...but in true USAF style, we will make it that way.

Latest resources

Back