• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UALPA response to jumpseat threat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was talking with someone the other day, a former UAL union person, and he was of the opinion that the UAX carriers are required, per their air services agreements with UAL, to provide UAL crews with the ability to jumpseat on UAX metal.

I countered that I was sure, but not 100%, that those agreements stipulated that it be space available transportation, and that no where does it require that the UA crewmember be given priority over that carriers own crewmembers on their own airplanes.

His position was that if the embargo for UAL on UAX goes thru, and UAL crewmembers are denied JS on UAX, it could be seen as a violation of the air service agreement contracts that the UAX carriers have with UAL.

The original UAX letter said we would be forced to deny the jumpseat on all airplanes regardless of tail-color:

Daily Departures:

Skywest 1794
Republic 1300
Mesa 800
Colgan 360
GoJets 78

Total 4332

UAL 1550 (prior to parking 737's)

That's 1,550 flights I might want to get on and 4,332 flights you might want to get on. Let's all quit thumping our chests and fix the problem.

I was talking with someone the other day, a former UAL union person, and he was of the opinion that the UAX carriers are required, per their air services agreements with UAL, to provide UAL crews with the ability to jumpseat on UAX metal.

I countered that I was sure, but not 100%, that those agreements stipulated that it be space available transportation, and that no where does it require that the UA crewmember be given priority over that carriers own crewmembers on their own airplanes.

His position was that if the embargo for UAL on UAX goes thru, and UAL crewmembers are denied JS on UAX, it could be seen as a violation of the air service agreement contracts that the UAX carriers have with UAL.

UALPA seems powerless to change the res system, they certainly are going to have no impact on anything regarding the air services agreement. Boy, how the mighty have fallen.

The original UAX letter said we would be forced to deny the jumpseat on all airplanes regardless of tail-color:

Daily Departures:

Skywest 1794
Republic 1300
Mesa 800
Colgan 360
GoJets 78

Total 4332

UAL 1550 (prior to parking 737's)

That's 1,550 flights I might want to get on and 4,332 flights you might want to get on. Let's all quit thumping our chests and fix the problem.

Jeezus, if those numbers are correct I'm sorry for the UAL pilots "if" this j/s war comes to fruition. I for one don't condone it and believe that there are other ways of handling this situation. However, I know that many UAX pilots live in base to offset the cost of commuting and having a crashpad. There has got to be more UAL pilots that commute than UAX for that simple reason....We just can't afford it!

Again, I do not agree with this UAX tactic, but if Daddy UALPA wants to posture with that letter, than so be it. We'll see who loses in the end..

Stand strong UAX pilots....I will support this war if it gets to that....The United pilots would never put up this behavior if it was them that were getting denied on their own aircraft.....

It's time to put a stop to the double standard......

Don't give in.....

It looks like we'll have to condition more than just our managents minds, who have become to know us as pushovers. That was from 01-07. Not anymore. We won't lose this so they better pull the letter, backtrack, and start talking if they're smart.

Whenever there's a UAL jumpseater, the Captain is going to have to get out of his seat and go up to the gate to check, to see if one of their own is trying to jumpseat. Every pilot should stay at the gate till it departs or call you crew support and tell them to call the Captain and tell them them that you're trying to get on.

It looks like we'll have to condition more than just our managents minds, who have become to know us as pushovers. That was from 01-07. Not anymore. We won't lose this so they better pull the letter, backtrack, and start talking if they're smart.

Sooooooo...UAL pilots aren't going to "back down" because to do so toward RJ pilots would be a sign of weakness.

Don't you think UAX pilots feel the exact same way about backing down just because big, bad UAL ALPA says so?

EVERYBODY will "lose" if this thing gets to the point where UAL is actively denying jumpseats to UAX pilots and vice versa.

Sure would be nice if self-proclaimed professionals could put the rulers away away long enough to work together and get the FARKING PROBLEM FIXED?

Sure would be nice if self-proclaimed professionals could put the rulers away away long enough to work together and get the FARKING PROBLEM FIXED?

I'm just glad that I don't commute on UAL, UAX, or anybody else for that freakin' matter. Self-proclaimed professionals: You hit the nail on the head with that one!

-Goose

I agree with Boiler. Silly that it's come to this. Still, I wonder how long a mainline carrier's pilot group would have put up with this if they were the ones affected. I imagine a lot less than two years. As always, everyone's welcome on my flightdeck. Even the dickhead gojet capt. who showed up 15 minutes before the flight out of ORD to gleefully inform me of the new priority change as he proceeded to bump me from the flight I waited for over an hour to catch. The jumpseat is sacred and one of my most treasured things about this job - let's not mess it up.

Every pilot should stay at the gate till it departs or call you crew support and tell them to call the Captain and tell them them that you're trying to get on.
A cell phone and ACARS is a handy, dandy tool...that's all I'll say right now. It's got me home when the UA priority sort was wrong.

Blanket party in 3, 2, 1...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back