• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UALPA response to jumpseat threat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The policy of ALPA National is to not use the jumpseat as a bargaining tool or for political purposes.

If at the end of that week they have not reversed their decision, we will IMMEDIATELY do all within our power to prevent them from obtaining jumpseats on United flights. We will request management to instruct our agents to not process them for a jumpseat or issue them an OMC card.

Fraternally,

I don't have a dog in this fight....but UAL ALPA is out of their gourd if they are using ALPA National policy against the UAX carriers. The very policy that they hold is such high esteem is the very one they are stating they will break.

Pot calling kettle, "You're BLACK!"

I'm still not understanding the big deal here. The UAX guys tried to fix the problem nicely and with cooperation with UA pilots. They got sluffed off to the corner and it didn't get fixed. Why should it- UA is benafitting from the glitch. So now, it's going to take some pressure to fix it. The letter was professional, polite, and it gives more than ample time for UA pilots to respond. So quit complaining and blaming the UX pilots and FIX THE PROBLEM......

Jumpseat war? Here's a thought for ya- if the UX pilots aren't getting on the jumpseats anyways, what do they have to lose?

Fixing the jumpseat is plainly the "right thing to do". So what's the problem here?

AS someone who used to work for a regional airline that was wholly owned by USAir. I know what you guys are having to deal with. Stand strong!

In a capacity purchase agreement, the contracting airline has purchased every seat on that aircraft and thus should have the liberty to decide what order non-revs are assigned the seats. I can accept that the flight attendant and pilot jumpseats are at pilots digression. But the assignment of non-revs in back is no more under the control of the captain than is the assignment of seats to revenue standby or revenue first-class upgrades.

I get off my A$$ and go up to the gate. Even on a 30min turn I have plenty of time to do this. I check the radar and ask about jump seater's. I do not allow the gate agent to manage it. With a pending MX issue and making a quick turn because we are behind schedule I still manage to get up to the gate. We all know the FO is the one doing all the work on the turn anyway!! So as a CA Manage your A/C and the jump seat in it. Granted, the old lady will not get that cell phone call ever turn like I've seen a lot of CA make their priority on the ground, but she'll understand. It seem a lot of pilots don't put any type of priority on the jump seat till they need to sit in it.

In case you missed it, this is from the same letter.:confused:

The policy of ALPA National is to not use the jumpseat as a bargaining tool or for political purposes.

At the end of this meeting your jumpseat committee will advise these members that they will have one week from July 10th to rescind their decision to deny jumpseats to United pilots. We will also demand they notify the MEC in writing. If at the end of that week they have not reversed their decision, we will IMMEDIATELY do all within our power to prevent them from obtaining jumpseats on United flights.

Did anybody notice that they said UAX pilots would be denied OSAs on "all united flights"? They were referring to all UAL coded flights, regardless of carrier, not just mainline.

How ironic. The United pilots decry the UAX pilots making a threat, then up the ante with an even bigger threat. Very Mature. The UAL pilots could have taken the high road and blown the letter off as the empty threat it most likely is, but no. They choose to escalate the conflict. Oh, and a union threatening to get fellow union members disciplined by taking their cause to management? Nice.

Union "brotherhood" indeed.

I hope the UAX pilots don't back down. As someone else said, they really have nothing to lose. They need to show the bully UAL pilots that more UAL pilots commute on UAX then the other way around. And RJs have a nasty habit of becoming weight limited.

Latest resources

Back