• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL radio transmissions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not really... Nobody uses that outside the US... Only time you see it above approach control is in Hawaii, where HCF the combined facility uses it all the time, I'm always missing it and I've even had one captain correct me "it's Hawaiian 1 Heavy, haven't you ever flown a wide body before?" ... Sigh

Canada uses it all the time.

It's a Navy thing...
Like this? Sweet!

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has tapped a two-star admiral and former Naval Academy commandant to serve as his "senior adviser for military professionalism," a newly created position to tackle military ethics problems.

Klein is a pilot who flew EC-130 Compass Calls and E-6 Mercury aircraft. She served as the No. 2 officer at the Naval Academy and, most recently, as chief of staff for U.S. Cyber Command.

At the Naval Academy in 2007, Klein launched a program that aimed to educate midshipmen about the effects of alcohol by giving them drinks on their 21st birthday and, under supervision of an instructor with a breathalyzer device, encouraging them to reach a 0.08 blood alcohol concentration.

Like this? Sweet!

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has tapped a two-star admiral and former Naval Academy commandant to serve as his "senior adviser for military professionalism," a newly created position to tackle military ethics problems.

Klein is a pilot who flew EC-130 Compass Calls and E-6 Mercury aircraft. She served as the No. 2 officer at the Naval Academy and, most recently, as chief of staff for U.S. Cyber Command.

At the Naval Academy in 2007, Klein launched a program that aimed to educate midshipmen about the effects of alcohol by giving them drinks on their 21st birthday and, under supervision of an instructor with a breathalyzer device, encouraging them to reach a 0.08 blood alcohol concentration.
They needed encouragement?

Like this? Sweet!

Of course, it doesn't say whether they were trying to reach 0.08 from above or below. ;)

Why do almost all the UAL radio transmissions have so much irritating background noise in them? Are you guys using hand held microphones 6 inches from your mouths or something? They sound awful. Just listen to your flights compared to other airlines. Most headset microphones have a sponge wrap that cut out air and background noise. You all should really look into them.

They use hand mic's. Just from the several times I have jumpseated on United, the one thing they seem to do different than any other airline I have jumpseated on, is remove their headsets, turn the speaker up, and use the hand held mic's when they reach cruise. Nothing wrong with that technique, just seems to be a United thing. I've only been in the cockpit 7 or 8 times on United, but that was the one difference I noticed.

They use hand mic's. Just from the several times I have jumpseated on United, the one thing they seem to do different than any other airline I have jumpseated on, is remove their headsets, turn the speaker up, and use the hand held mic's when they reach cruise. Nothing wrong with that technique, just seems to be a United thing. I've only been in the cockpit 7 or 8 times on United, but that was the one difference I noticed.
Could be because the provided setup us so uncomfortable.

At AA we always remove our headsets and run the speaker at cruise once the PAs are complete. I thought all airlines did this?

Especially the pasta! :D

Plus, I would think it would be hard to slurp down all those gooey ice cream sundaes, whilst traipsing across the pond, with a headset and boom mike on. Wait.... maybe that's "Deltas" (or at least certain Deltas) that I'm thinking of... :)

Bubba

Latest resources

Back