UAL Pilots get TSA'ed in MIA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This isn't about TSA...

Sorry, guys, but I have to take the other side of this argument.

Each year in the US, crewmembers either test positive on random alcohol/drug tests. How many? There were 9 that tested positive for alcohol in 2001, 22 in 2002, and 9 in 2003...but also in 2003, 22 tested positive for drugs! (these numbers come directly from Dr. Audie Davis' presentation at the September HIMS conference in Denver)

Yep...we're talking about professional pilots who know they are subject to DOT testing, yet they still manage to blow over .03999 or test positive for drugs. So, you tell me...is there a problem? The most conservative (lowest) estimate for alcoholism rates in the US is 5%. And the US has over 200,000 ATPs, the majority of which are flying professionally. You do the math.

In other words, do you want your wife, daughter or father to fly on an aircraft piloted by a drunk? Do you want your company's future riding on their drug-altered proficiency and judgement? Of course you don't, and the industry has done a lot to offer rehabilitation and help for those afflicted with substance abuse. Ask your airline HIMS representative...

I see this thread as two distinct issues. The first is a natural railing against the TSA, who we perceive as an organization hell bent to make our life more difficult. Well, that train has left the station. They do make our life somewhat tougher, but that's an innevitiable byproduct of their necessary job. Are they legally allowed to detect, detain or report pilots with alcohol on their breath? Yes they are. That aspect was upheld in Florida earlier this year. Is it correct for them to do so? Well, it begs the question...how many pilots have been accused of drinking by the TSA but were not actually doing so? I don't have numbers for you, but I think they are low. Perhaps you can shed some light on that aspect.

As for pilots reported by the TSA as having alcohol on their breath that were drinking, the list appears to be increasing. I have no problem with that. If a "wand monkey" (your term, not mine) keeps an inebriated pilot out of the cockpit, great. Frankly, anyone who would argue the opposite simply isn't thinking clearly.

The other big issue here is our natural inclination to push drinking under the rug; professionals don't have problems like that, right? No one wants to address it, so it is easier to vent against the TSA, an organization we (at times) view as somewhat less than professional.

The reality? We have to cope with alcohol and drug abuse--that's what each airline's HIMS program is for.

I don't blame TSA...if they're wrong, a simple breathylizer will prove the pilot's innocence. Problem is, we're not always innocent.

Eagleflip said:
Each year in the US, crewmembers either test positive on random alcohol/drug tests. How many? There were 9 that tested positive for alcohol in 2001, 22 in 2002, and 9 in 2003...but also in 2003, 22 tested positive for drugs! (these numbers come directly from Dr. Audie Davis' presentation at the September HIMS conference in Denver)

Now THAT'S kind of interesting. For about the first five years or so of the random drug testing program the positive test rate was lower than the statistical FALSE positive rate. In other words, there WASN'T a problem that the tests could reliably detect.

Interesting indeed. I wonder what's changed. The tests have either gotten better (not very likely) or for some reason there is a heightened sense that getting away with it is possible - that accountability can't be enforced.

Captain Overs said:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-1023pilot,0,7173673.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

United pilot questioned after security screeners smell alcohol

October 23, 2005, 5:24 PM EDT

MIAMI -- A United Airlines pilot was taken into custody at Miami International Airport on Sunday after security screeners smelled alcohol as he prepared to board a flight to Washington Dulles International Airport, authorities said.

The incident appeared similar to a 2002 incident where a drunk America West pilot and co-pilot were arrested as they also boarded a flight in Miami. They were sentenced to prison last summer.

The United pilot was boarding Flight 1404 for a scheduled 9 a.m. departure when Transportation Security Administration screeners thought they smelled alcohol on the pilot, said Kathleen Bergen, a Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman.

TSA spokesman Nico Melendez said officers from the Miami-Dade County Police Department, which investigates most crimes at the airport, took the pilot into custody. Police officials they could not yet provide details, including whether the pilot has been charged.

Bergen said the FAA is ``conducting an investigation which would be separate from any investigation law enforcement would do.''

United Airlines had no immediate comment.

In July, two America West pilots who got behind the controls after a night of heavy drinking at a sports bar three years ago were sentenced to prison after they were found guilty of operating an aircraft while drunk.

Thomas Cloyd, 47, of Peoria, Ariz., and co-pilot Christopher Hughes, 44, of Leander, Texas, were drunk when they settled into the cockpit of a Phoenix-bound jetliner. The plane had pushed away from the gate and was being towed toward the runway when it was called back after screeners reported smelling alcohol on their breath.

Cloyd, who had been on probation for an alcohol-related offense just months before his arrest, was sentenced to five years in prison. Hughes was ordered to serve 2 1/2 years behind bars.

350DRIVER said:
The pilot was removed from the cockpit and was suspended by UAL pending an internal investigation. He was not arrested and no breath test was done, it was FLT 1404 DC bound. 6+40 on the delay after all was said and done. TSA alerted police and all here we are.....

ONE pilot, not "two".

Unless I was guilty I would have demanded a test be done, just to clear my name.

How do you investigate this properly without a test????

FlyBoeingJets said:
Unless I was guilty I would have demanded a test be done, just to clear my name.

I was wondering the same thing. If anyone even suggested that I had alchohol on my breath or had been drinking within either FAA or company limits I'd insist on a test. Better to remove yourself from any possibiility of suspicion of wrongdoing that way.

Eagleflip-

I agree with your post 100%. I am not sure why we defend this insidious lifestyle.

One other thought though: Does anyone know if there has ever been an airline accident/incident wherein it was discovered the proximate cause was consumption of alcohol or drugs by the flight crew?

It may be that the pilot requested a blood test (not urine--my wife was imprisioned unjustly last year due to a false positive on the urine test. The breathalyzer said 0.000, too). That's what I would do.

Take the blood test primarily, to be absolutely sure the breathalyzer didn't read wrong (you get a false positive on that one and you are fighting an uphill battle). Secondly, you aren't going to be able to get back on the plane after being hauled off by the cops and keep any pax aboard.

Once you have the appearance of guilt, you will not operate that aircraft.

On the issue of TSA innocence, yes, statistically, there are some people out there flying drunk. Is it statistically reasonable that it's ALWAYS Miami TSA'ers who 'sniff' out the drunks? That's what set off my warning flags.TC

FlyBoeingJets said:

I assume (may be a bad assumption) that you can't other than checking possible bar receipts that may or may not be time stamped, video surveillance, or something else a long those lines if applicable. I was a tad surprised one was not administered but for the reason(s) of possibly registering a "false positive" maybe it was refused by the pilot?. He probably requested a blood test to be done elsewhere which the media didn't find "news worthy" enough to run with it and include it in the story/report. I think many variables were left out of this story which will come out in time, not enough to make a fair, honest, and unbiased opinion or guess here.

Breathalyzers can be inaccurate. If they seriously suspected substance abuse, the Pilot probably got a ride to a nearby facility for a urine test. If I was in the Pilot's shoes, I would want at least two of the most accurate tests (blood tests) money can buy, immediately.

Lets hope this turns out OK for the pilots. The America West guys lives' were ruined by Florida's overzealous prosecutors who like the press that this kind of case generates.

AA717 Driver: Did they hold the person responsible for your wife's detainment responsible for their false arrest?

Last edited:
Blood tests aren't an option, at least if you're talking FAA/DOT. The DOT rules are very specific. If a credible reason exists ("reasonable suspicion" as determined by a trained person) than it's breathalyzer city.

But that's for company/DOT/FAA tests. The cops probably have their own rules about when a breath or blood (or urine, I guess, if you believe the previous poster, but I've never heard of urine being used for alcohol testing). Also, the guy might have refused a test. Who knows?

I'm still amazed at both the Northwest crew (years ago) and the AWA crew. How in the hell do you drink until 5 am for a 10 am show?

Latest resources

Back