UAL Pilots get TSA'ed in MIA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
~~~^~~~ said:
Breathalyzers can be inaccurate. If they seriously suspected substance abuse, the Pilot probably got a ride to a nearby facility for a urine test. If I was in the Pilot's shoes, I would want at least two of the most accurate tests (blood tests) money can buy, immediately.

Lets hope this turns out OK for the pilots. The America West guys lives' were ruined by Florida's overzealous prosecutors who like the press that this kind of case generates.

AA717 Driver: Did they hold the person responsible for your wife's detainment responsible for their false arrest?
Amazing, the america west guys ruined their own lives, the level of intoxication that they were convicted of is beyond a reasonable doubt. I have a hard time believing anyone could "blame" the prosecutor for prosecuting what was clearly criminal behavior. Here is a simple litmus test if your drinking/drug habit affects your personal or professional life in a negative way, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM that needs to be addressed. This is so far beyond a "beer with the enchilada plate". If those fuks had crashed the plane, we all would be blowing into a breathalyizer just to walk down the jetway. The TSA goons have no special powers or authority, they have citizen rights just like you and me, thats why they called the airport police who after being given a "citizens" information proceeded to investigate and proceed with the arrests. I hope they are both cornholed repeatedly until their release, they are only slightly better than child molesters. Fuk 'em they got what they deserved!
PBR

FWIW,

Two true stories...

MIA - TSA hand inspected a CHECKED BAG of a non-reving Airline RES agent. Inspection was done after the RES agent checked-in and was off to the gate. TSA found a "suspicious substance" and called in Miami Police. Police concluded substance was not suspicious and discarded it without testing it. Dissatisfied, TSA agent then notified airline. Airline fired RES agent. End of story.

DEN - Pilot going through TSA screening is approached by a "close talking" TSA agent. Pilot elects not to speak. When TSA agent get's irate and asks "what's your name?" Pilot points to his ID badge. Pilot proceeds on flight, but TSA agent reports pilot to Airline. Airline discards complaint. End of story.

Moral of the stories: There are TSA agents who FULLY BELIEVE their job is to do more than screen for weapons or explosives.

I don't think its illegal to smell like alcohol, or more specifically, to smell like Scotch or even cheap Bourbon (and I'm saying "smell like" rather than having it ooze from every pore of your body).

Anyone have a convincing argument to the contrary?

If not, I'll go further to say that most people don't distinguish very well between the smell of an actuall drunk and the odor of the liquor itself.

Bearing that in mind we could really spin the TSA into the ceiling with an organized "Smell like Jack Daniels Day" at security checkpoints across the USA.

I'm sure there's a smart type among us who could create a method of turning the smell "on" just prior to the checkpoint and then turning the smell "off" just as quickly afterwards.

Juniority wrote:
we could really spin the TSA into the ceiling with an organized "Smell like Jack Daniels Day" at security checkpoints across the USA.
:(

What exactly do you think you'd achieve by that sophomoric stunt, my friend?

Your point is that the smell of alcohol is not illegal. Ok, we'll grant you that issue. However, the smell of alcohol on someone's breath is sufficient to justify a "reasonable cause" screening and (at the least) temporary removal from a flight.

What professional pilot would want to do such a thing? I'm no TSA advocate, but let's face the facts. Pilots are people, they have problems, they sometimes make grossly inappropriate decisions in the throes of a serious disease. It is ludicrous to believe that the TSA is doing us a disservice by identifying someone with a potential problem.

Should those TSA guys be leaning in close to catch a whiff? Well, I don't really have an answer for that. If they see other obvious signs of inebriation, I really don't see why not. Are they trained to look for these signs--dunno. It isn't hard, however. Ask a cop--he'll define what signs to look for.

Or ask your father--he knows what to look for...at least mine did! :laugh:

Juniority said:
I don't think its illegal to smell like alcohol, or more specifically, to smell like Scotch or even cheap Bourbon (and I'm saying "smell like" rather than having it ooze from every pore of your body).

Anyone have a convincing argument to the contrary?

If not, I'll go further to say that most people don't distinguish very well between the smell of an actuall drunk and the odor of the liquor itself.

Bearing that in mind we could really spin the TSA into the ceiling with an organized "Smell like Jack Daniels Day" at security checkpoints across the USA.

I'm sure there's a smart type among us who could create a method of turning the smell "on" just prior to the checkpoint and then turning the smell "off" just as quickly afterwards.

Flame bait!!!!

Latest resources

Back