• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Merger Comte Msg

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The two MEC statements are vastly different between the UAL MEC and the CAL MEC.

UAL MEC communications primary topics are concerned with defending its seniority list. CAL MEC communications topic sentences are more concerned with a viable company. CAL MEC #1 concern is a viable company with its pilots the #3 priority. CAL will sell SCOPE for a CAL retirement only benefit.

The CAL MEC is a management tool verse a pilot group instrument. The CAL MEC will sell out both companies for some type of specific personal gain of an individual or small demographic group.

As a member of the CAL MEC, I take offense to your statement. I can tell you that your statement we are a tool for management is completely false. We will not sell anyone out!

Our MEC is unified and working together better then anytime in our recent history. How about we allow our respective merger committees do their difficult jobs, while we the pilots of United and Continental work together to negotiate an industry redefining contract that we all can be proud of?

Last time I checked, Mr. Tilton or Mr. Smisek didn’t ask any of us our opinions on this deal, they just cut the deal. Tilton will walk away in two years and Smisek in five or so (hopefully much less) with disgusting multi-million dollar exit packages and more wealthy then any of us could possibly image. However we the employees will be stuck to make sure this merger works, because it's all of our respective careers on the line.

I understand the seniority integration process is extremely emotional and stressful. Anything any of us say on this board or for that matter any of us on either MEC say will have absolutely no effect on the merged seniority list. In the end the single seniority list will be determined by both merger committees, a mediator and very possibly ultimately decided by three arbitrators.

I am confident both merger committees will do their very best for their respective pilots. In the end we all will have to work together as one pilot group that treats each other with dignity and respect or we will never be able to allow our merged company to be succesfull and more importantly create the unity required as a single pilot group to negotiate the very best industry leading contracts moving forward and adequetly protect our careers from the inevitable career threats that lie ahead.

Last edited:
As a member of the CAL MEC, I take offense to your statement. I can tell you that your statement we are a tool for management is completely false. We will not sell anyone out!

Our MEC is unified and working together better then anytime in our recent history. How about we allow our respective merger committees do their difficult jobs, while we the pilots of United and Continental work together to negotiate an industry redefining contract that we all can be proud of?

Last time I checked, Mr. Tilton or Mr. Smisek didn’t ask any of us our opinions on this deal, they just cut the deal. Tilton will walk away in two years and Smisek in five or so (hopefully much less) with disgusting multi-million dollar exit packages and more wealthy then any of us could possibly image. However we the employees will be stuck to make sure this merger works, because it's all of our respective careers on the line.

I understand the seniority integration process is extremely emotional and stressful. Anything any of us say on this board or for that matter any of us on either MEC say will have absolutely no effect on the merged seniority list. In the end the single seniority list will be determined by both merger committees, a mediator and very possibly ultimately decided by three arbitrators.

I am confident both merger committees will do their very best for their respective pilots. In the end we all will have to work together as one pilot group that treats each other with dignity and respect or we will never be able to allow our merged company to be succesfull and more importantly create the unity required as a single pilot group to negotiate the very best industry leading contracts moving forward and adequetly protect our careers from the inevitable career threats that lie ahead.

Thank you for coming on here and defending the position of our MEC. I for one am tired of hearing all of these yahoos coming on here and spewing rumors and conjecture. I support our Union and I am confident that they will protect our rights in this process. We are in for a long fight.

I'm really surprised a USAir Eastie hasn't chimed in and suggested demanding DOH only, since that tactic worked out so well for them....

If anything, you gotta give the Easties credit for showing what NOT to do...

Yeah, I'll have to admit that my original rather inflammatory post was probably aimed at St. Nic and MCDU as much as it was the UAL pilot group. I did take a lot of poetic license, UAL is not dying, but they are stagnant and will be greatly benefiting from future growth at our expense. There are furloughed pilots out there who think that because they were hired at one airline 8 years before I was hired at mine, they should be able to take my job and kick me into their place in the unemployment line. Precedence is that no furloughed pilot has ever been merged senior to a working one, and I hope it stays that way. I think the message from the merger committee was hinting at this.

As long as CAL has had a union back on property the CAL union has been doing managements bidding. If UAL and CAL want to merge it will without the pilots consent. Ask the NWA pilots how the resistance worked out?

CAL is a union of fly now grieve later. CAL ALPA has never shown any brass balls. And the official statements CAL ALPA is making doesn't have the pilot's issues as the #1 priority again.

When a man is divorced five times should the sixth wife really believe he is capable of a successful marriage? CAL ALPA is a repeat loser.

Whatever statements the UAL MEC makes the CAL MEC needs to highlight, cut, and paste.

Last edited:
No medical, five year pay scales, reserve rules, are about the worst in the industry. Open time pickup and vacation waive keep 147 guys off the property each and every day.

If they get a hint of a whiff of a scent that they're going to lose retirement benefits as was the case in C'02 (or lose the lump sum option), or if they're offered an immediate payout of the A-Plan in exchange for scope, it'll go down like a tased baseball fan.

CAL ALPA working for its pilots!

Hey luckytohaveajob,

What have you done to better the career for anyone else but yourself? Ever serve your fellow pilots on a committee? Or do you prefer to throw barbs from your anonymous perch? Enlighten us.

The truth hurts. Why did CAL ALPA put as its #1 priority something other than the pilots?

UAL ALPA did not take a management position in its statement. Red herring arguments about service do not discredit my point concerning CAL ALPA.

And a union rep. being offended by an obvious error in judgement by his MEC is nothing compared to a wounded pilot group due to incompetent leadership.

Last edited:
Nice bickering guys...it'll do you no good. Stop bitching, work together to make it better for all (some guys will have it better than others thats life), grow the place so damn big so WE ALL can be captains soon.

By the way I was told that UAL will be ordering a bunch of 100 seaters this year for mainline! Reliable ALPA source

Latest resources

Back