• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Liquidation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TWA was over 75 years old when it went away. The company had the highest paid pilots in the industry in the late 70's early 80's and was (I believe) the 4th largest airline in the world around 1982-83 time frame. One Carl Icahn later and now they are history.

Their/Our collapse didn't happen over night either. You bet it can happen.

13 years ago, I was waiting in the jetway to jumpseat on a UAL flight from MSP to ORD. With me was an ABX pilot wanting to do the same. We got to talking with one of the flight attendants. During the conversation, it comes out that the ABX pilot's wife was a UAL pilot. The flight attendant asked the guy if he was going to apply to UAL. He said "No" and the reasoning was that they didn't want all their eggs in one basket. The flight attendant's response was (I'll never forget this) "Oh, we'll never go out of business."

Who'd have thought that UAL would ever be in the shape it is.

....and that ABX would going out of business? :eek: Very sad.

This rumor reminds me of a great story....

In 2004, The furloughed IndyAir F/O I was flying with made this gem of a prediction....

"When United goes out, we're going to OWN Dulles!!"

THAT was a great business plan!!!

13 years ago, I was waiting in the jetway to jumpseat on a UAL flight from MSP to ORD. With me was an ABX pilot wanting to do the same. We got to talking with one of the flight attendants. During the conversation, it comes out that the ABX pilot's wife was a UAL pilot. The flight attendant asked the guy if he was going to apply to UAL. He said "No" and the reasoning was that they didn't want all their eggs in one basket. The flight attendant's response was (I'll never forget this) "Oh, we'll never go out of business."

Who'd have thought that UAL would ever be in the shape it is.

Did they go out of business??? No.

And when/if they do turn things around and the economy strengthens...you will be silenced. So don't be so confident that the way it is now will remain the same.

Last edited:
Aloha was almost a 62 years old airline. It was a household name in Hawaii... one of two ways to fly to see Uncle Kimo in Maui or Kona.

For local pilots, the goal was to get into either Aloha or Hawaiian as both offered major airline salaries, some of the best retirement packages in the industry, phenomenal work rules and benefits, and if you were flying interisland - you'd get to sleep in your own bed EVERY NIGHT.

Fast forward to 2009... Hawaiian is the last remaining well-paid flying job in Hawaii. You have Republic flying EMB170's paying their captains less than what I used to make as a 2nd year FO at Aloha, and you have Mesa.... enough said.

It cracks me up when people say "we'll never go under." Oh, the ignorance can really be a bliss.... until it hits you in the face.

Last edited:
If we can get the age 70 ruled passed many more of us will be able to hang around to see more companies go out of business

It cracks me up when people say "we'll never go under." Oh, the ignorance can really be a bliss.... until it hits you in the face.

I think it is just as ignorant for people to say "XXX" airline WILL liquidate as if it is a fact and they have some insider knowledge.

Latest resources

Back