• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Liquidation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Goverment raises the retirement age Just when I am in new hire class.(12/07) Now I got furloughed from Unted last year, after working for ASA for 12 years. There was less furloughs then over age 60 guys last year. Now trying to get an ATC job they say I am too Old. If that is not age discrimination, I don't know what is!

this is what the boomer generation doesn't get- they honestly think that our generation has had the same opportunities as they had and we're just whining....

this is what the boomer generation doesn't get- they honestly think that our generation has had the same opportunities as they had and we're just whining....

There has never been another time in this industry when becoming a pilot was so easy, now you have individuals that go to a PFT school and by the time they have barely ATP minimums they are in command of a regional jet. Stop the whining and get off my lawn:laugh:

Meanwhile......

.....back at The UA Ranch....Gordon Bethune has been spotted in Chicago this winter. My inside source says he has an office at UA HQ.

I wonder if the CAL thing really is dead in the water?

W

I don't get your perception.
In the 1960's and 1970's, to get on with an airline you had to be hired BEFORE you were 32, had to be male and if you weren't caucasion, you weren't eliminated but you did have a strike against you.
At the time, airlines would go years without hiring. You could be highly qualified and pass age 32 and you had NO chance at being an airline pilot, period.
A really good General Aviation job prior to getting on with an airline would typically be right seat in a Twin Otter or Be-99. Upgrades even at that level could take years. Once hired almost everyone did go through a furlough and it usually lasted for years. New hires were treated like second class citizens. Probation meant you could EASILY get fired for any reason. First year pay was terrible.
Once you finally did get seniority at a major airline, the job was better than it is now, but the descrepency between the junior and senior positions is far less now than it was. In the 1940's and 1950's the co-pilot (even if he was a former B-17 Captain or p-51 ace) was considered and treated as a lowly apprentice. The boomer generation changed all that.

There are way more opportunities for younger pilots now than there ever was. There is way less descrimination now and junior pilots are accorded way more respect and equality than at any other time in aviation history thanks to the "boomer" generation.
Furloughed pilots never were considered worthy untill the "boomer" generation came along and started paying for medical coverage to help furloughed pilots and fought to protect them as strongly as anyone else on the seniority list.
I could gone on and on.
Every Generation has made it's contributions. None of them are perfect.
Oh, and you can thank the "Boomer" Generation for getting us out of the 1950's.

Oh, and that was a "boomer" that did a pretty good job in New York. It's boomers like him (ALPA safety committee work, etc.) that have helped build so much of what many of us take for granite.

Oh, and that was a "boomer" that did a pretty good job in New York. It's boomers like him (ALPA safety committee work, etc.) that have helped build so much of what many of us take for granite.

"Take for granted." Granite is a type of igneous rock.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back