• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Liquidation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey, pilots generally realize this. You can't keep management from being stupid.

stlflyguy

Last edited:
Just pure conjecture... but what about liquidation followed by CAL buying the assets and paying off a negotiated reduction in debt. That would give them all the routes and growth they need/want...

In my mind (not talking about the people losing their jobs and careers...just talking moving people and planes business here) losing United will be a good thing for other airlines. Others will pick up the routes and people and thus may be able to charge higher fares which will equal profits..expansion...more hiring..etc. Yeah it would suck for those involved losing thier jobs but it has happened to other airline in the past it can happen to United...sad but the industry will move on as if it were never here.

Somehow I can't see our Government bailing out the automakers and a few months later watching UAL shutdown.
That said I could see them parted out ala PanAm.

The government is basically bailing out the ENTIRE US auto industry - UA is not the entire US airline industry. I would be surprised if the government were to step in on a UA chapter 7.

In my mind (not talking about the people losing their jobs and careers...just talking moving people and planes business here) losing United will be a good thing for other airlines. Others will pick up the routes and people and thus may be able to charge higher fares which will equal profits..expansion...more hiring..etc. Yeah it would suck for those involved losing thier jobs but it has happened to other airline in the past it can happen to United...sad but the industry will move on as if it were never here.

The exact same thing could be said about Southwest.

disclaimer... In no way meant to insult Southwest, its employees, shareholders, etc, etc

Good to hear the CAL furloughs may be all back this year. Hope that true.

I don't think UAL has much unrestricted cash. Their assest went from 3 billion to 2 billion, why? and who is to say they could convert these assets to cash.

There was a time when i thought, "No way" will they liquidate. But now, I am not too sure. Managment there put all their eggs in the "merger basket." A merger in the near future is highly unlikely.

So what is next? IMHO, UAL stopped running an airline back in 2000.

If you retired from UAL or are anywhere near the bottom of that list, it has been a form of hell. Except i know there are good guys in the middle of their list- but it would also be nice to just get it over with. Noone's happy there. And if you are-you did it by insulating yourself from the problems by outsourcing and making your narrow-body pilots fly under different, harsher rules.

Latest resources

Back