UAL Liquidation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heyas,

Some outfits thought to be "too important to fail" are long since gone.

Some that have been long thought to be "circling the drain" are still here with us. USAir has been going out of business since 1991.

You never know...

Nu

Not to make light of this notion, nor to treat it with some sense of detached amusement, but has anyone out there heard about United ceasing operations sometime next month? I know this is a sensational statement (not that one would expect that to happen on this website) but we have had some company management types (CAL) make remarks along these lines and just last night a furloughed UAL pilot stated the same thing.

Anyone else hear about this?

So ...do you just get bored and then post stupid things?....do you have any credible source other than a pissed off furloughed pilot?

In my mind (not talking about the people losing their jobs and careers...just talking moving people and planes business here) losing United will be a good thing for other airlines. Others will pick up the routes and people and thus may be able to charge higher fares which will equal profits..expansion...more hiring..etc. Yeah it would suck for those involved losing thier jobs but it has happened to other airline in the past it can happen to United...sad but the industry will move on as if it were never here.

Losing SWA would be a good thing too.

Never so Never everyone.

I hate to see any airline go out of business. But it was been proven, with PanAm, Eastern, Braniff, TWA, and many more that airlines can and do go out of business.

Who remains standing in the next five years remains to be seen. You can probably pick a few that you know are certainity for sure, but others its a gamble. Being former UAL, I would hate to see them go out of business due to bad management. Before BK it was a great company, with alot of good people. Its unforunate that management can destroy morale and line their pocket books as they do it.

I wish all my friends at UAL luck, that includes those that are being furloughed. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your families.

Don't worry US Air is not doing much better than UAL. Only time will tell if they stay in existance.

Bailing out the Big 3 automakers vs bailing out United are two different animals. I couldn't believe that Ford would even be for the bailout since they are the best positioned out of the big 3. You would think that they would want GM or Chrysler to disappear. Supposedly their supply chains are too tied together to let one company go out of business without hurting the other two and the Big 3 were successful in scaring the government into a bailout package.

In the airline industry, the failure of one large airline would dramaticly improve the remaining airline's RASM overnight and probably prevent any other failures.

I am personally against all bailouts. Bad decisions/behavior shouldn't be rewarded with a bailout. Weaker companies should go away and be replaced with stronger companies or not replaced at all if there isn't enough demand for the product being produced.

Good news and bad news here.

First the bad news. The next airline that can't pay its bills will go straight to Ch. 7, as there will be no DIP financing available.

The good news is that executives such as Glenn Tilton can profit handsomely from this. Even I know that Glenn has no business even trying to manage a corner lemonade stand, much less an airline. I told him this, and he seemed to accept it. I suggested making his departure profitable by parting out the airline to save face from a Ch. 7 and to also line his pockets as a sort of severance package.

Sounds like he is taking my advice. Since Glenn and I will both be out of the airline business, I am thinking about partnering with him in the banking and finance sector. That industry seems to be filled with executives of the same competence level and lack of moral compass. We should do well there.

Harrumph harrumph! I say, good show Frankie, my boy. So right, you know.

Didn't the CEO of Independance Air predict the impending and immediate demise of UAL in 2002? Where is that "expert" now? Nostradamas (sp?) he was not.

Latest resources

Back