• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL/CAL one step closer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have to admit I am suprised that there have not been more mergers since DAL/NWA.... I thought there was going to be a ' merger mania ' of the legacy carriers to follow DALs and NWs lead.

ACL might be correct... CAL may be just getting near to Uniteds assets if they go under.

Or the companies are going to get all the groundwork of a merger complete first, quietly, without using the M word ( all the things that happen in a merger -- minus the pilots ) and then overnight sneak in a merger, leaving the pilots with very little power to have a voice. Maybe they are just going about a different way to the same end-state ---- merger.

Only one of many senarios possible..

But I am still suprised more mergers have not occured.

But then again, I dont think the incoming Administration / DOJ is going to be anti-merger, so there is still time to do so.

Best of luck to all involved either way

Fact is that a UAUA/CAL merger would not be as clean as a DAL/NWA merger. I would venture to guess that this combination would have to divest of some of the assets in the Northeast. Not many, but enough that it would lead to some job loss.

This also holds true for almost any other sort of combination. DAL/CAL would have been a blood bath for the workers.
Anyone going with AMR will gets some slots taken too. I think that is why you do not see any other mergers currently. Many execs are trying to figure out a way to make one work, please the DOJ, and get the unions on board as DAL/NWA has done.
This merger has been tame. Thus far it has been a fairy book tale for the managers of DAL.

Good points...

That being said I agree with you, I think they ( potential merger players) are trying to make one ' work '.... how that ends up happening, time will tell.

This CAL/UAL ' joint venture ' is interesting to say the least. Something merger-like appears to be in the works.

Please CAL and UAL... We need some Pilots that know what a good contract is....

Last week Cal Had about 20 crews sleep in IAH crew room do to the weather and operations... Get this, they work flights the next day after sleeping in the crew room...

true story!

Last week Cal Had about 20 crews sleep in IAH crew room do to the weather and operations... Get this, they work flights the next day after sleeping in the crew room...

true story!

CAL has worked under substandard conditions for 25 years. Why would it change?

Good thing CAL gets all those industry awards. If you tell them they are great some of them might believe it and are more willing to accept the substandard conditions. Overall, the group has been beat down so much they do not have a will to fight.

Last edited:
I think what CAL is doing is getting so close to UAUA that when they go under, they are so close that no one else can get the leftovers.

Dude, do you were your Delta uniform to bed??
All your posts are how wonderful Delta is and how screwed up everyone else is.
I think the DAL/NWA merger was in fact very well executed and will make a very good airline. Just don't forget PanAm was a very good airline in the 60's. So was TWA. Braniff was the most profitable airline of the 1970's. Eastern was the biggest airline at one point in the 1980's.
Anything could happen, the economy could crater and DAL could be too big and UAL/CAL good reorganise and be the dominate airline. We work in an industry that is a crap shoot no matter who you work for.
I hope not everyone at DAL is too cocky cause I bought stock in DAL.

Dude, do you were your Delta uniform to bed??

At least Delta bought him his uniform. Have you got any good deals at JCPenny on your uniform lately? Hows your health insurance. Are you covered or do you just raid the first aid kit every chance you get and call that free health insurance?

Last edited:
All your posts are how wonderful Delta is and how screwed up everyone else is.

I see you are a 67 captain. How do those 14 hour three days pay? Does CAL give you 14 hours of pay if you fly 14 hours? Or do you do it for 10 hours and sleep in the crew room?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back