• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL/CAL one step closer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Might be the case today, but I am sure in the past 25 years since 1983, DAL has paid for its pilots uniforms.

And I am sure a DAL pilot gets paid soft time unlike CAL. And I am sure a DAL pilot doesn't sleep in the crew room during severe wx ops. And I am sure a DAL pilots family members are covered on a company health plan the entire DAL pilots career.

RJ contracts are better than CAL's. And RJ pilots are more interested in a good contract than CAL.

Who wants to merge with CAL? Do you want to be lowered to CAL standards because that would be part of the deal? CAL has no standards.

Let's not forget this current travesty inflicted upon us was an ALPO negotiated contract. It was practically forced on us by an incompetent and incredibly corrupt union.

I am confident about two things. One is that we will obtain a much better cba than you are saddled with at United. At the rate United is hemorrhaging money and your management is robbing you blind, you'll be lucky to increase your per diem rates. Judging how quickly you spread your legs before during the bankruptcy sham, excuse me I meant process, I am sure he'll be coming back for more. When Tilton gets done bending you over, your FI name will be very appropriate.

Two, no one at CAL wants anything to do with the nightmare named United Airlines. So enjoy what you have and stop worrying about us because we will do just fine. Especially without the tools over there like yourself.

Incidentally, how are those United pilot retirees feeling about their pensions these days? Talk about having no standards. What a hypocrite you are.

Last edited:
Let's not forget this current travesty inflicted upon us was an ALPO negotiated contract. It was practically forced on us by an incompetent and incredibly corrupt union.

I am confident about two things. One is that we will obtain a much better cba than you are saddled with at United. At the rate United is hemorrhaging money and your management is robbing you blind, you'll be lucky to increase your per diem rates. Judging how quickly you spread your legs before during the bankruptcy sham, excuse me I meant process, I am sure he'll be coming back for more. When Tilton gets done bending you over, your FI name will be very appropriate.

Two, no one at CAL wants anything to do with the nightmare named United Airlines. So enjoy what you have and stop worrying about us because we will do just fine. Especially without the tools over there like yourself.

Incidentally, how are those United pilot retirees feeling about their pensions these days? Talk about having no standards. What a hypocrite you are.

I couldn't have said that any better myself. I for one, actually enjoy working for CAL and though I recognize our contract needs A LOT of work, I know myself and a few thousand other CAL guys are fed up with the status quo and will fight for what we deserve. But thanks again for your concern "lucky"tohaveajob.

Wow. Someone hit a nerve.

PIPE

Incidentally, how are those United pilot retirees feeling about their pensions these days?

UAL at least knows where it stands on pensions regarding the PBGC.

CAL on the other hand has far greater pension worries. CAL is on a 17 year funding schedule which just previously was on an annual basis in 2006. The "A" plan is terminal at CAL but you always have those false promises to cling too.

Just like all the other false premises CAL has been operating on the past 25 years. Junior pilots thumping their chest don't control the locals and will get their hands handed to them every time.

As I said, Skywest without a union has a better contract than CAL and nothing is going to change. It has been this way for 25 years. History is against you.

Last edited:
The crew room layover debacle should be a great opportunity for CALALPA. We should win that one in a very public and brutal manner. I don't think the company has a leg to stand on. Hurricanes are one thing, not being able to handle winter ops at a hub? Complete embarrassment. It should be a "win" for CALALPA and a nice springboard into 09 negotiating. I have no doubt our guys want to win, I just don't know if they are equipped to. Of course the UALALPA guys just got their nuts torn off by a Democrat judge so let's hold off celebrating. At either airline.

UAL at least knows where it stands on pensions regarding the PBGC.

CAL on the other hand has far greater pension worries. CAL is on a 17 year funding schedule which just previously was on an annual basis in 2006. The "A" plan is terminal at CAL but you always have those false promises to cling too.

Just like all the other false premises CAL has been operating on the past 25 years. Junior pilots thumping their chest don't control the locals and will get their hands handed to them every time.

As I said, Skywest without a union has a better contract than CAL and nothing is going to change. It has been this way for 25 years. History is against you.

Is there anything good at CAL??? I mean seriously can you think of anything good at that airline? I can. I can think of many good things there. Now I am not defending their contract it is a bad one, but guess who is to blame, the pilot group! CAL has gone through some serious financial burdens in those last 25 years. but I truly believe things will change there.

BTW, SkyWest does not have a contract they have a policy manual. One that can be changed and has been changed often. I am afraid you are only looking at one side of the coin when it comes to CAL. There are many good things going on there and I think the place is going to see some substantial changes in the next couple of years. Bottom line is I can't think of any other major airline I would want to be right now. I know I know go to Delta, SWA or even UAL. CAL sucks!

What do you mean by UAL knows where it stands with regard to pensions? I don't understand what you mean?

I also have a question for you, if a Delta guy retires tomorrow is he or she getting a lump sum? What about a UAL guy?

The crew room layover debacle should be a great opportunity for CALALPA. We should win that one in a very public and brutal manner. I don't think the company has a leg to stand on. Hurricanes are one thing, not being able to handle winter ops at a hub? Complete embarrassment. It should be a "win" for CALALPA and a nice springboard into 09 negotiating. I have no doubt our guys want to win, I just don't know if they are equipped to. Of course the UALALPA guys just got their nuts torn off by a Democrat judge so let's hold off celebrating. At either airline.

Yep she neutered us. They won the battle but we have to have enough firepower to strike these bastards if necessary. good luck to all

What do you mean by UAL knows where it stands with regard to pensions? I don't understand what you mean?

I also have a question for you, if a Delta guy retires tomorrow is he or she getting a lump sum? What about a UAL guy?

The pensions have already been turned over to the PBGC. Annuity payout is guaranteed as long as America stays a nation. Government checks can be cashed anywhere. While it may be less than orginially planned with the ability to work to 65 the damage is minimized.

Concerning lump sums, do you think CAL has that option? I don't.

Next year, Dec. 2009, the regulatory filing of the pensions will be published once again as required by law. And a deficit after a few years of zero funding on a 17 year schedule will terminate the CAL retirement without a PBGC option outside of bankruptcy. Repeat-- "outside of bankrupcy" because CAL is not likely to go bankrupt. The lump sum will disappear far sooner. IRS penalities will be paid instead which are far cheaper, and CAL pilots will be toast. No PBGC money. No lump sum. No annuity.

Good thing CAL is so solid. It will allow CAL to continue its 25 year legacy of screwing over its employees because CAL pilots don't get it just like the ones who sleep in the crew room and then flew the next day.

CAL does have the lump sum option. If it stays that remains to be seen if they hint that it will go away you will see a very large run on the bank.

Latest resources

Back