• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ual-awac......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow! Now it looks like there might be some furloughs, now you awac guy's and gals can see what it's like to see your jobs handed over to the lowest bidder. Skywest is a good company and I am sure you will be given priority interviews and start at the bottom, that is something to look forward too!!!!!!!!

J32driver said:
Hardball tactics are telling UAL you won't operate your company at a loss? I place the blame mostly on the Skywest pilots that are willing to fly 70 and 100 seat airplanes for 50 seat prices. Good job and thanks again.

At this point, I have a lot more respect for the MESA pilot group than I do the Skywest pilot group.

What 100 seat airplanes does Skywest fly?

J32driver said:
Hardball tactics are telling UAL you won't operate your company at a loss? I place the blame mostly on the Skywest pilots that are willing to fly 70 and 100 seat airplanes for 50 seat prices. Good job and thanks again.

At this point, I have a lot more respect for the MESA pilot group than I do the Skywest pilot group.

There must be something to it besides pay. SkyWest could increase pay for ALL employees by 20-30% without losing money according to the figures in the 2003 Annual Report (the latest annual report available). What else have you got for ideas? I'm guessing better management.

On behalf of my fellow AWAC pilots, my apologies for their childish behavior. It's nobody's fault, just 'simple' business strategy in an upside-down economy. Congratulations those who will prosper from our loss. We only wish we were in your position. US Air, here we come. And let's not be mistaken. It sounds like we will be displacing someone elses jobs when we move 70 jets to Airways over then next year. So be careful who you point your finger at!

I still do not understand what you guys did to deserve this. If history is any indication, Air Wisconsin will be back. United dealt them a body blow in the early 90's (stripped the company of their ORD slots, fragged the company and then threw a few crumbs, er, interviews, their way). Any survivors of that experience?

Best of luck to the finest feeder, I mean commuter, no I mean regional, ever. Mark my words, you guys will be back. If you have any money still in the bank, I hope you buy Independance Air.

I'm not going to get into a contest about whose fault it is that our UAL contract was terminated. I don't think you can blame any one person or entity. The sad fact is that one of the premier regional airline jobs/contracts is probably about to disappear. That’s a loss for not just the men and women holding those jobs, but for the entire industry.

For those of you that never did your homework, pilots were able to support and justify the comfortable salaries that they enjoyed for 50 years by working together to make sure that they did not undercut each other. Sure, allow management to compete with their rival airlines, but not by using labor costs as “human fertilizer” to subsidize their competitive edge. Somewhere along the way we got away from that teamwork, which lead us to where we are now.

Personally, I chose not to work for a carrier that uses their labor costs to undercut their competitors. I did it on principle. I’m not here to sit on my high horse and condemn anyone that did. We all make our own choices, but don’t tell me that we as pilots are not part of the problem.

Every time we take a job for that quick upgrade so we can gain valuable “121 PIC”, we are part of the problem. Every time we accept a contract to fly bigger airplanes for the same pay as a smaller one, we are part of the problem.

If anything, we are the problem.

Well, just woke up and read the news. I feel like I have just been punched in the gut or maybe kicked in the balls. I want to bitch at all of the bottom feeders but that won't do any good, they just don't understand. AWAC was one of the best, we were working to keep the bar high and this is our thanks. So many things going through me head right now I just don't know what to say. What am I going to do for work, how will I pay for my house or put food on the table for my family? This sucks!!!

By the way thanks flycomairjets for the encouragement, you guys rock!!

Last edited:
Here is the post for those that were asking for it....

Press ReleaseSource: United Airlines

United, Air Wisconsin Reach Tentative Agreement to Transition United Express Flying and Ground Handling Services
Thursday April 7, 11:00 am ET - No interruptions to United Express service

CHICAGO, April 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines announced today that it has reached a tentative agreement with Air Wisconsin Airlines (AWAC) on flying and ground-handling transition plans. The agreement is subject to approval by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court and is expected to be heard during the regularly scheduled Omnibus hearing on April 22.

After evaluating bids received as part of the request for proposal (RFP) issued in November 2004, United will have a new group of regional air carriers take over all United Express flying currently operated by AWAC out of Washington Dulles, Chicago O'Hare International and Denver International Airports. AWAC will continue to perform ground handling for United Express at a number of stations.

"This tentative agreement represents an important step toward reducing costs for a significant portion of our United Express flying and ground handling, while ensuring a safe, customer-friendly transition," said Sean Donohue, vice president-United Express and Ted. "We're very pleased to have reached market-competitive rates with AWAC for ground handling at a number of locations they currently serve, keeping a valued, long-standing partner on board with us."

As the company previously announced, the carriers that will take over United Express flying include SkyWest and GoJet (a subsidiary of Trans States). United currently is in discussions with other carriers and may continue to award additional flying and ground-handling through the RFP process.

"The United Express product and reliability continue to improve, and our new agreements ensure we will continue to provide superior service and competitive fares to our customers," Donohue said.

About United

United Airlines (OTC Bulletin Board: UALAQ - News) is the world's second largest airline, operating more than 3,400 flights a day on United, United Express and Ted to more than 200 U.S. domestic and international destinations from its hubs in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Chicago and Washington, D.C. With key global air rights in the Asia-Pacific region, Europe and Latin America, United is the largest international carrier based in the United States.* United is also a founding member of Star Alliance, which provides connections for our customers to nearly 800 destinations in 139 countries worldwide. United's 60,000 employees reside in every U.S. state and in many countries around the world. News releases and other information about United can be found at the company's Web site at united.com.

*Measured by revenue passenger miles as reported to the U.S. Department of Transportation for 12 months ending September 2004, the most recent comparison data available.

Media Relations Contacts:

United Media Relations Office: 847.700.5538

United Evenings/Weekends: 847.700.4088

Source: United Airlines

jrod

I think 99% of the blame can go to United. You can only
squeeze so much blood out of a turnip. United dropped Mesa like
a steaming dog turd back in '98 because of service failures, but
then are willing to get back in bed with them when they need
the lift and are willing to take the lowest bidder. Then to top it
all off, they turn each of the Express carriers loose to underbid
each other. So you either bid to keep the flying you have or
lose it and then figure out what to do with a bunch of airplanes
and employees. Let's not forget too that this doesn't only
affect pilots with jobs that are being lost.

Latest resources

Back