ual-awac......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wood,

I can agree that UAL is partly to blame for all this. However, my point is that because certain regional carriers allow their management to underbid other carriers by utilizing labor costs as a competitive edge, UAL has the opportunity to play the UAX carriers against each other. So while UAL is part of the problem, they are simply taking advantage of an opportunity that we as pilots provided to them.

Yo-Nited needs to go they have hurt too many people. End it now, one quick knockout is better then endless small blows.

i agree with another earlier posts....

it really isn't fair to come down too hard on any one group of pilots on this matter. it is our own mgts. idea not expand/ grow/ diversify, which in the end could be the downfall of a fine regional airline. i agree, this industry has big problems with undercutting and a complete lack of unity, but the big problems can be traced back to horrible management and the decisions made over the years (ual and awac).

good luck to the guys who will be flying our previous routes.

I wasn't going to add my 10 cents but I think it's important for those of us who're actually at AWAC to say our piece. As jrod put it nicely, we weren’t screwed by management on this; we lost our ability to be able to bid on flying 70 seaters competitively when other companies agreed to fly them for 50 seat rates that were lower than ours.

I'm not some 20 something, wide-eyed and in awe of being an airline pilot, I had a successful career before this in a completely different field but I have to say that I have never come across an industry where there is so much envy, back-stabbing and jealousy. We're all so eager to get that upgrade and start logging "121 PIC", that we've priced ourselves out of a future. A lot of people on this board seem to think that the sooner they upgrade the nearer they'll be to getting on with a major but how the hell is that going to happen when we see more and more 170's and crj700's flying on what used to be 73 and 320 routes. Mainline isn't going to be hiring like they used to if they don't have as many aircraft.

I'm not going to say that we should all stand together or even form a "Regional ALPA" because it would fall on deaf ears but I think if pilots at other companies had even half an idea about how it can actually be at a regional like AWAC they might not be so quick to put up with continually lowered wages and always wondering which company is going to undercut you next and put you on the street.

We'll put those 70 CRJ's in the USAIR system and then some other poor unfortunate b*stard will be out on the street. What a great industry this is!

On a side note I did have to laugh at the following line in the Yonited press release

Lou3 said:
"This tentative agreement represents an important step toward reducing costs for a significant portion of our United Express flying and ground handling, while ensuring a safe, customer-friendly transition," said Sean Donohue, vice president-United Express and Ted. "We're very pleased to have reached market-competitive rates with AWAC for ground handling at a number of locations they currently serve, keeping a valued, long-standing partner on board with us."

So long standing and valued that they decided to bend us over a second time!

Good Luck to us all

snine3departure said:
I want to bitch at all of the bottom feeders but that won't do any good, they just don't understand. AWAC was one of the best, we were working to keep the bar high and this is our thanks. What am I going to do for work, how will I pay for my house or put food on the table for my family? This sucks!!!

April 22nd. is going to roll around quick, so if you can't beat em, then join em.
You'll want to get your app. in asap, because it will only take one dork to ruin it for you guys (ie:interviewee shoots his mouth off about how AWAC pilots are really pi$$sed at Skywest).
What were you doing to keep the bar raised? ALPA and mgnt. played you big time. The 'boot in the butt strategy' will be used as an example against Mesa and Skywest to set a new standard shortly. We really have'nt seen a new low yet.
Ironically, the fact that Skywest pilots don't have a union probably was the reason they gained so much from this whole scam.

What are you doing with a house? Did you ever think your career with a commuter could reliably support a house and kids. That's just irresponsible. Rent an apartment and use birth control, or get a job with real stability. Yeah, you'll actually have to work, but that's what happens when you don't plan ahead.

Thank goodness this won't effect the senior guys. I hope you all can hang on long enough to get on with a big airline soon and put this experience behind you.

Hey guys you have to credit the 80% of Skywest pilots who had the foresight to realize that just by cheapening the profession they would get to fly a whole lot of 70 seaters. After all they got the quick upgrades in one of the most advanced regional jets out there, so it's obvious who are the smart ones. With GoJet coming up perhaps we should allow learn from the Skywest lesson. I know I'll have my app ready for Uncle Hulas...
:)

sarcasm

Why did skywest's pilots have to take a paycut then to get United flying? They did because they were told to, so they could be competative for getting a renewed flying contract with United and more A/C. The same thing was told to ACA and other companies like Whiskey. Not MESA because there pay is so low it didn't really matter. According to ACA's ALPA there was no way we could have competed with them. Skywest was the big problem because we were all shocked that they caved to Uniteds demands so early. The problem is if the original 3 express carriers stuck to there guns with United this all would not have happened. ACA was the only one to say no and because we were by ourselves and had no support the rest of the bottom feeders came in and replaced us. Now the same thing has happened to Whisky and will continue to happen. When are pilots going to learn that a gain for your self may not be a gain for the industry. I guess a furlough will wake u up. From a furloughed ACA/ Independence Air pilot, "We told you so"

Do you really think that a pay difference of say $20-30 an hour for the crew is what results in a bid being succesful or not. The operating cost for the aircraft contain alot more than just crew pay. SkyWest's entire operational cost deterimine the rate which we could do the flying for. SkyWest has numerous advantages when it comes to bidding on flying. Probably the most obvious is our ability to get the best rates in the industry when it comes to financing new aircraft.

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned is that AirWis 84 aircraft are only being replaced with 30. United wanted to get rid of a bunch of 50 seaters and they have found a way to replace them with more efficient 70s.

Latest resources

Back