• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ual-awac......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wouldn't worry too much. I think USAIR is in better shape now than United. Wouldn't it be interesting if United tanks and USair survives.... I do know this for a fact, Our management team at AWAC are very smart and very shrewd and they wouldn't have p!ssed away 125 Mil on a company if they thought it wasn't going to survive and be prosperous. United on the other hand just continues to flounder around and not know what end is up.....just my 2 euros

fam62c said:
Does Air Wisconsin, or for that matter any small airline, fly routes that were once flown by major airlines? Of course the answer is yes. You may have the highest rates in the "regional" industry but small airlines have undercut the costs at majors and taken flying away; aren't all of the regionals "bottom feeders?"

fam,

A little history is in order here, just for perspective. AWAC was the last airline to gain it's operating certificate prior to deregulation. Back then it was a long and tedious (not to mention political) process. The same process that United, American, Braniff, and Eastern had to go through to get their routes awarded. AWAC operated independently with their own routes until 1984 when they pioneered the code-share process with UAL that has become common in our industry. They were still independently owned and flew under their own colors.

In 1991 ARW was the third largest operator out of ORD behind UAL and AMR. UAL bought ARW for their ORD landing slots and ran the company into bankruptcy. It was broken apart into several pieces, one of which became ACA which is now Independence Air. Another became what now remains of the old Air Wisconsin (18 146's). Meanwhile, UAL took all of the ARW slots and routes and made them their own. They farmed what they didn't want back to ARW and newly formed UFS. ARW was eventually sold to independent investors and merged with Aspen Airways/MAX Air. We then purchased the 70 RJ's we currently have to operate for UAL.

So in fact, UAL flies routes that were once flown by AWAC, not the other way around. UAL/ALPA had the chance to merge ARW and avoid all this so call "bottom feeder" type flying. Instead they chose to implement a scope clause and farm out the RJ size aircraft to contract operators. The genie was out of the bottle.

I agree that everyone makes their own choices about how and when to gain the neccessary experience to move up in this industry. However, what I don't agree with is entire pilot groups willing to sell out in order to provide their management with a competitive edge over a rival airline.

Unfortunately, AWAC has become the latest victim of this process.

Lampshade said:
You are an a$$! You were once a Air Wisconsin guy, show some compassion for gods sake. I know its hard from that high perch as a new F9 Fo on reserve.

Sorry Ned, I upgraded early last year. And what's with the FO slam? I think being an FO is every bit as important as being a Captain...sometimes more, depending on who's flying!
Shake my tree all you want, I doubt you'll remove me from my perch high above you. I've recommended several pilots from Cheddar Central since and before 9/11. That's not compassion though, I'm just looking out for the best interests of my own company?
I have plenty of compassion for pilots. We're all one big family, and I'd tell my brother 'don't buy a house or make babies if you're working at a commuter'.
Get your facts straight Flanders; 'I'm a compassionate a$$'!

crashpad said:
Sorry Ned, I upgraded early last year. And what's with the FO slam? I think being an FO is every bit as important as being a Captain...sometimes more, depending on who's flying!
Shake my tree all you want, I doubt you'll remove me from my perch high above you.

CP,

That wasn't even a little bit nice, funny as a mutha fuk though!!!! I am all over the floor in stiches....

WD.

And here to prove my point,(drum roll, cymbal clash).....The Great One!

They should've made Whiskey Drivers' posts on this board required reading at every subsequent Air Wisconsin pilot ground school! They would've turned UAL into their 'Beotch', or been outta work a lot sooner!
Either way, they would've gained the respect of The Don and some closure.

Last edited:
crashpad said:
And here to prove my point,(drum roll, cymbal clash).....The Great One!

They should've made Whiskey Drivers posts on this board required reading at every subsequent Air Wisconsin pilot ground school class!

Then, my dear Noodley-Doodley-Ned, you and I would be flinging poop over on the 'PFT thread'.

Whew too much laughter in one afternoon you're killing me CP.

WD.

Hey is whiskey moving their jets to Us airways in any way going to displace piedmont routes?

None

crashpad said:
April 22nd. is going to roll around quick, so if you can't beat em, then join em.
You'll want to get your app. in asap, because it will only take one dork to ruin it for you guys (ie:interviewee shoots his mouth off about how AWAC pilots are really pi$$sed at Skywest).
What were you doing to keep the bar raised? ALPA and mgnt. played you big time. The 'boot in the butt strategy' will be used as an example against Mesa and Skywest to set a new standard shortly. We really have'nt seen a new low yet.
Ironically, the fact that Skywest pilots don't have a union probably was the reason they gained so much from this whole scam.

What are you doing with a house? Did you ever think your career with a commuter could reliably support a house and kids. That's just irresponsible. Rent an apartment and use birth control, or get a job with real stability. Yeah, you'll actually have to work, but that's what happens when you don't plan ahead.

Thank goodness this won't effect the senior guys. I hope you all can hang on long enough to get on with a big airline soon and put this experience behind you.

I am a regional pilot. Why dont you come over to my house so my kids can watch me wax your @ss all over my front yard! Just wanted to give you an invite and something to "plan ahead". You sure are a fvck!

jrod said this about the original AWAC,
It was broken apart into several pieces, one of which became ACA which is now Independence Air.
Wasn't ACA born of the Flinn Family and Westair? I know of a lot of Westair guys that were TDY'd to the eastcoast in the mighty Brasilia to get ACA started. Just curious about the details.

strega7 said:
jrod said this about the original AWAC,
Wasn't ACA born of the Flinn Family and Westair? I know of a lot of Westair guys that were TDY'd to the eastcoast in the mighty Brasilia to get ACA started. Just curious about the details.

Our Dash 8s were taken into service at ACA during that time. Our instructors on those planes were even used to do the training. Then furloughed.

I heard some of them stayed on with ACA but I'm not sure if that is true or not.

Latest resources

Back