ual-awac......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Socalplt,

I agree Skywest is better able to secure aircraft financing than others, and this saves a great deal of money when bidding for flying. But to imply by omission that we (SKYW Pilots) are not partly culpable by flying 700's for 200 rates is insulting to many in our profession. We, as a group, foolishly voted in favor of this almost two years ago.

Uncle Jerry & Co. astutely used our affirmation of these short-sighted pay rates, good financing, the abuse of pilots during training, random policy changes/interpretations, abrogation of seniority, and a good operation to put Skywest at the front of the list to replace AWAC for United.

To the few primarily blaming me personally for this mess,

The root of your anger stems from management decisions made somewhere between ATW and Elk Grove Village years ago. I am willing to silently remain on the list of those to blame, but Skywest pilot's should not be at the top.

Good luck to everyone at Air Wisconsin and the other carrier's affected by this transition.

Last edited:
As long as there are "majors" "legacies" and "regionals", this stuff will continue. It is so interesting how the airlines are still hurting, yet I have seen more advertisements for FAST-TRACK type flight schools than ever before. "Fly a regional jet in 9 months for only 18K a year." My friends will think I'm sooo cool, (as long as I keep my salary a secret) Sarcasm intented.

AWAC, you guys really are a classy bunch of pilots, best of luck to you guys.

Skeets

crashpad said:
April 22nd. is going to roll around quick, so if you can't beat em, then join em.
You'll want to get your app. in asap, because it will only take one dork to ruin it for you guys (ie:interviewee shoots his mouth off about how AWAC pilots are really pi$$sed at Skywest).
What were you doing to keep the bar raised? ALPA and mgnt. played you big time. The 'boot in the butt strategy' will be used as an example against Mesa and Skywest to set a new standard shortly. We really have'nt seen a new low yet.
Ironically, the fact that Skywest pilots don't have a union probably was the reason they gained so much from this whole scam.

What are you doing with a house? Did you ever think your career with a commuter could reliably support a house and kids. That's just irresponsible. Rent an apartment and use birth control, or get a job with real stability. Yeah, you'll actually have to work, but that's what happens when you don't plan ahead.

Thank goodness this won't effect the senior guys. I hope you all can hang on long enough to get on with a big airline soon and put this experience behind you.

I’m sorry but cant be the only one who saw this post? I know I don’t post much, but wait just one second. We need to stop fighting each other and work together. You should to have the ability to work in this industry, at this level(flying people.. souls if you will.. for money) and make a living wage. Have a family if you wish and purchase a house or condo. Have a life! When was it a rule that you had to wait until you got a job flying a DC 9; 737; A320 to make a wage that allows you to enjoy your life. If we continue to allow ourselves to be pitted one pilot group against another no one will ever earn what we are worth as professionals.
WE SHOULD ALL MAKE ENOUGH AND HAVE THE BENEFITS TO SUPPORT A FAMILY AND OWN A HOUSE. A ENTRY LEVEL PROFESSIONAL IN ANY OTHER FIELD WOULDN’T ACCEPT A POSITION WITH LOW PAY FOR THE PROMISE OF SOMETHING GREATER IN THE FUTURE WHY SHOULD WE??? WTF?

Be careful when pointing fingers!!! Some of you are blaming SKYW pilots for what is happening here. This was a UAL and management decision. Also look at the pay rates at AWAC and SKYW. SKYW actually has higher pay scales, and there is a raise in the works. Also there is a bonus program in place that is working out to be substantial. I'm not saying that SKYW is so great, but they are far from the bottomfeeder that you accuse them to be. The pilot group has made mistakes, but not with any malicious intent toward any other group.

Just think what USAir regionals will be saying when the same happens to them. AWAC will replace them having "bought" the jobs for a cool 125M. It kinda looks like the biggest pay for training/job scandal I have ever seen. Unfortunately, this is the business model that this industry is heading towards. I just hope it stops soon.

These are just a few thoughts above. I sincerely hope that all AWAC employees weather this well. With the exception of a few in this thread, you are a class act, and I wish no hardship your way. And as a professional, I will not ever deny a jumpseat, nor will I hold a grudge while interviewing. I wish you and your families the best.

Yogi

I have many friends over there at AWAC and am heartbroken to see this news....my condolences and wish your pilot group only good things in the future.

Where does this stop?

You (SKW) are at the top of the list right now...because you accepted to fly those 70s for 50 rates. What gets many pilots pi$$ed off is all the bragging going on at your organization. But the reality is YOU allowed yourselves to be sold out...now its at the expense of AWAC. Meanwhile WE (regional pilots) are broke, with no hope in sight.

SKW, YOU can stop the cycle...stand up, get organized, get your pay...you deserve it. You guys have a great pilot group, but its all talk and no action...

ALPA, Teamsters, internal union, it doesnt matter...you better get that money!!!

Illinois said:
Socalplt,

I agree Skywest is better able to secure aircraft financing than others, and this saves a great deal of money when bidding for flying. But to imply by omission that we (SKYW Pilots) are not partly culpable by flying 700's for 200 rates is insulting to many in our profession. We, as a group, foolishly voted in favor of this almost two years ago.

Uncle Jerry & Co. astutely used our affirmation of these short-sighted pay rates, good financing, the abuse of pilots during training, random policy changes/interpretations, abrogation of seniority, and a good operation to put Skywest at the front of the list to replace AWAC for United.

To the few primarily blaming me personally for this mess,

The root of your anger stems from management decisions made somewhere between ATW and Elk Grove Village years ago. I am willing to silently remain on the list of those to blame, but Skywest pilot's should not be at the top.

Good luck to everyone at Air Wisconsin and the other carrier's affected by this transition.

Illinois said:
Socalplt,

I hate the idea of flying 70's for 50 seat rates. In fact I don't. Fortunately, I'm at a domicile where I haven't been forced to. (For those that don't know ORD and SMF have been forced to get the differences training.) I voted against the last pay package because of this, and the one before it for not raising new hire pay. I'll also vote against the next one if it is for only 1%.

I'm not sure what AWACs pay rates are, however I remember seeing something on the order of $67/hr for the 70 and $61/hr. for the 50 at year six versus $65.25 for SkyWest. I'm sure the difference is greater for the year 18 guys. If the new pay package passes with a 1% increase and we average a 6% margin for the profit sharing, my hourly rate will average out to $69.85. Based on this I can't see how our rate for flying the seventy is the primary reason AWAC is losing the flying.

DONTFEEDTHEBEAR said:
SKYW actually has higher pay scales, and there is a raise in the works

Who do you think you're kidding Dontfeedthebear?

SKYW pilots fly 70 seat airplanes for 50 seat rates.

Rates from airlinepilotpay.com
SKYW 5th year CA: 63 FO: 38
AWAC 5th year (Bae146) CA:71 FO: 41

Furloughs suck,

Very well said. I wish more pilots shared your attitude. It is ridiculous to think that pilots should put their lives on hold untill reaching a major. Particularly considering the fact that mainline line jets are being increasingly farmed out to the 70-100 seat rj's and the very real posibility of increasing the mandatory retirement age.

Furloughs Suck said:
I’m sorry but cant be the only one who saw this post?
No, you're not, but I think everyone's just letting it go because he's obviously such an idiot.

Latest resources

Back