• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
moron

DontFeedTheBear said:
Socalplt said:
D Sanchez,

I think this sums up my point! Just be careful, when you displace USAir flying, do you want to be told that your company bought your job? I'm sure the answer is NO. All I am saying is that the Skywest pilots are not to blame. This is a UAL and AWAC management issue. The pay is too close to use as a blame game. Now if Skywest flew at MESA rates, that would be something to talk about. Skywest 50/70 rates are higher than their 70 rates alone. Then add on bonuses, work rules etc, Skywest actually exceed the 90 rates! Let us also take per diem. AWAC is 1.40 and Skywest is 1.60, if you do the math, that works out to be about another $1 per hour of pay. The rates are so close, I wouldn't use pilot pay as the issue here. I would blame the innability of management to adapt from a antiquated business model. But if blaming Skywest for a same rate scenerio is what helps you sleep at night, then let it be. Everyone has an opinion. Once again, I sincerely hope everything works for you at AWAC. You never know what the future holds, this could easily be a blessing in disguise.

And for the record, an ALPA union drive will be starting at Skywest as soon as it can legally happen. I hope that the pilot group sees this as an valuable time to organize...

Yogi
How does a 1.40-1.60=$1.00 more an hour?

Thanks for all the kind comments about the AWAC pilots.

Yeah, it's going to be tough for us for awhile, but...(and I'm going out on a limb here)...I think it will eventually be OK for us. Just my gut instinct and it's been pretty accurate over the years.

There's been a lot of bashing of different pilot groups on this thread (and I've bashed a few over the years too). But I can tell you this, I've commuted on Mesa, SkyWest, TSA and some majors for a lot of years, and with maybe one or two standout exceptions (both UAL Captains, but I found out during the flight they were both in the middle of a nasty divorce)...everyone has been tremendously kind and nice to me.

Most pilots out there are 100% professional, decent, hardworking folks just trying to get by. This IS the best job in the world, it just happens to be in the SH!TTIEST industry. I knew that when I got into this, so I have no room to b!tch.

I'm not going to be mean to that Mesa guy on the crew bus or that SkyWest Captain based in Denver complaining because he has to commute to California when I'll never see a Denver base. I'm just not...end of story. I'm done with being nasty to other folks because of some perceived injustice. I knew what this industry was all about when I started.

AND, consequently, I'm also not going to vote FOR a crappy wage scale on larger aircraft and let management use me for a doormat. I'll get out before I'll do that because I have something to fall back on. Guess I'm just lucky.

Thanks again all...it's nice to see the kind comments. I'm not insulted by the bad ones, because I understand those too.

(golf clapping, parental smiles, tears of pride...and a leg-lifting oily waiffer from yours truely)

Magnanimus Beechchick!!! That really needed to be said, because prior to this we all thought you schmoozed your way to the bottom on the affirmative action tuna train.
Now, go back to the kiddie table with Spudflinger, CheddarChimp and the tough-guy who wants me to visit his trailer park.

Last edited:
BE99chick said:
Thanks for all the kind comments about the AWAC pilots.

AND, consequently, I'm also not going to vote FOR a crappy wage scale on larger aircraft and let management use me for a doormat. I'll get out before I'll do that because I have something to fall back on. Guess I'm just lucky.

Thanks again all...it's nice to see the kind comments. I'm not insulted by the bad ones, because I understand those too.

It needs to go much farther than that. Our concessions were based on flying for united. It's time to get our old contract back, with back pay. If the union won't do anything about it. Then It's time the pilots File a class action lawsuit. AWAC made 100 million in profit in the 4 quarters after the concessions, and had 125 million to invest in USair. They didn't need the money from us, it's time to get it back.

Whoa, did'nt see that coming. Just like Emiral, "Bam!"
I feel like a ten pin standing in front of Don Carter (only true cheddar-heads know how disturbing that is).
How do I respond to this? Can I have my testosterone back, please?

Last edited:
jrod said:
fam,

A little history is in order here, just for perspective. AWAC was the last airline to gain it's operating certificate prior to deregulation. Back then it was a long and tedious (not to mention political) process. The same process that United, American, Braniff, and Eastern had to go through to get their routes awarded. AWAC operated independently with their own routes until 1984 when they pioneered the code-share process with UAL that has become common in our industry. They were still independently owned and flew under their own colors.

In 1991 ARW was the third largest operator out of ORD behind UAL and AMR. UAL bought ARW for their ORD landing slots and ran the company into bankruptcy. It was broken apart into several pieces, one of which became ACA which is now Independence Air. Another became what now remains of the old Air Wisconsin (18 146's). Meanwhile, UAL took all of the ARW slots and routes and made them their own. They farmed what they didn't want back to ARW and newly formed UFS. ARW was eventually sold to independent investors and merged with Aspen Airways/MAX Air. We then purchased the 70 RJ's we currently have to operate for UAL.

So in fact, UAL flies routes that were once flown by AWAC, not the other way around. UAL/ALPA had the chance to merge ARW and avoid all this so call "bottom feeder" type flying. Instead they chose to implement a scope clause and farm out the RJ size aircraft to contract operators. The genie was out of the bottle.

I agree that everyone makes their own choices about how and when to gain the neccessary experience to move up in this industry. However, what I don't agree with is entire pilot groups willing to sell out in order to provide their management with a competitive edge over a rival airline.

Unfortunately, AWAC has become the latest victim of this process.

Hey jrod....can you tell me some of the details/history of the DASH 8's?
I seem to recall AWAC flying them back in the early 90's and then
they were gone. Before the D328's replaced the UFS flying, what was
AWAC flying?

Reference all the above posts...

I'm was happy for the three years I flew in the airlines. I did it all and experienced the roller coaster. I flew "airliners", upgraded to Captain, had a hellava lot of fun and made a few life-long friends.

I'll take my current flying for a Fortune 250 company any day as a career rather than experience all the BS I did in the airlines. It's a tough job on our family and our friends. Why we do it for all that we put up with is beyond me.

Sorry AWAC...tailwinds always.

crashpad said:
Whoa, did'nt see that coming. Just like Emiral, "Bam!"
I feel like a ten pin standing in front of Don Carter (only true cheddar-heads know how disturbing that is).
How do I respond to this? Can I have my testosterone back, please?

That's funny. Do you remember the Miller Lite commerical Don Carter did
back in the 70's where he tore the top off the beer can like the big
football guys did?

R U New???

DontFeedTheBear said:
Socalplt said:
Let us also take per diem. AWAC is 1.40 and Skywest is 1.60, if you do the math, that works out to be about another $1 per hour of pay. The rates are so close, I wouldn't use pilot pay as the issue here.

Yogi

Yogi,

Are you serious that you include per diem as income? Are you just cheap? Because a buck sixty is nothing to brag about. It's actually really embarrassing and pathetic. You don't even get the government IRS rate. Last time I checked, my employer pays me per diem to eat well and healthy while I'm out of domicile. Your mentality is "regional" at best. I guess I'm paid well enough as a professional pilot not to include per diem in my earnings. I live well and I can afford things and stuff not including my per diem as income. Really, I try to spend it all on the road to eat well. What I don't spend, however, my girlfriend spends on shoes. So, whatever. Congratulations on the buck sixty an hour...tailwinds.

Latest resources

Back