Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
g159av8tor said:
Yogi,

Are you serious that you include per diem as income? Are you just cheap? Because a buck sixty is nothing to brag about. It's actually really embarrassing and pathetic. You don't even get the government IRS rate. Last time I checked, my employer pays me per diem to eat well and healthy while I'm out of domicile. Your mentality is "regional" at best. I guess I'm paid well enough as a professional pilot not to include per diem in my earnings. I live well and I can afford things and stuff not including my per diem as income. Really, I try to spend it all on the road to eat well. What I don't spend, however, my girlfriend spends on shoes. So, whatever. Congratulations on the buck sixty an hour...tailwinds.

I believe the above comparison was made while evaluating the financial compensation of both airlines, and as such a "regional" mentality is required.

You seem very proud of youself that you have made it to the level of "professional pilot," as opposed to all of us suckers still flying in the regional world. Good for you.

Please feel free to gaze longingly at yourself in the mirror and keep telling yourself how much better you are...

Rogue,

I not better, just better off. I've ridden the airline coaster and learned there is much happiness (read QOL) and fulfillment in this profession if you're willing to look for it and risk it. For me anyway...tailwinds.

By the way, do you know if other employees that travel on company business get your "contract" rate or the IRS rate? You will be dissapointed I'm afraid...but you get to fly airplanes!

Morning Wood said:
Hey jrod....can you tell me some of the details/history of the DASH 8's?
I seem to recall AWAC flying them back in the early 90's and then
they were gone. Before the D328's replaced the UFS flying, what was
AWAC flying?

I'm not an expert and wasnt' there when it all happened, but my understanding is this. ARW had the 146's, Dash-8's, and ATP's when the split happened. Essentially, ACA got the 8's, UFS took the ATP's and AWAC got the 146's. If memory serves me correctly, ARW went from about 200 pilots to 80. Some pilots went to ACA and a few remain there (i think) and several went to UFS. Most went to the steet. Many of the 328's came from the merger with MAX Air in the late 90's. So, to answer your question, for most of the 90's, ARW consisted of just 18 BAe-146's. All indications are that those will all be retired over the next year.

Just another page in the history of Air Wisconsin.

g159av8tor is so obviously trying to validate his life as a corporate pilot.
We understand that you're trying to define your self worth, but that has very little to do with this board. There is a Corporate board here where you can comiserate and validate with others like yourself, but this board is for 'airline pilots'.

Sorry the airlines did'nt work out for you. You have nothing to be ashamed of. There are countless pilots who did'nt have what it takes to succeed at this level and went on flying to serve in some other part of aviation. It's a vocation to be an airline pilot because of the enormity of responsiblity involved.
You sleep better knowing your girlfriend or mother is traveling on an airline because you know the standard of professionalism that exists at this level cannot be duplicated.

Yes, corporate pilots are often required to imitate the airlines by wearing the uniform with bars, but that's just a pony show for their clients.

The best analysis for you is this:
Airline Pilots are to players in the NFL, as corporate pilots are to Roller Derby.

Last edited:
I guess it's that ability to get along well with others that makes g159av8tor so special.

Last edited:
Twotter76 said:
Internal company memo.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank SkyWest, CHQ, Go-Jet, Mesa and all you other bottom feeding undercutting sh!thole airlines that have made this possible. Without you all we could never have gotten to where we are today. You have succeeded in getting rid of one of the last decent jobs at the regional level - but hey you will upgrade that much sooner and be able to go a major! Enjoy your time with UAL and keep up the good work! I hope that you all never have to go through what you are putting us through now. Good luck!

CHQ didn't bid on any of Air Whisky's UAL Flying. Leave us out of it. However, we just lost 15 aircraft with Airways because of you guys.

US Airways, AmWest deal?

Dawn Gilbertson
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 9, 2005 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]America West Airlines CEO Doug Parker has repeatedly said the Tempe airline wants to be a player in the expected consolidation of the troubled industry.

One industry analyst said Friday that America West may have bankrupt US Airways in its sights.

JP Morgan airline analyst Jamie Baker said in a report that there is "early speculation" on a proposed America West/US Airways "linkage." He provided no details.

This is not the first time America West's name has come up as a possible partner for the struggling East Coast carrier, but Baker's wording and the fact that he included the speculation in his report seem to suggest it's more than just idle chatter.

America West spokeswoman Elise Eberwein reiterated Parker's comments that a shakeout is inevitable for the industry's long-term survival. But she said that at this point any talk of an America West deal with US Airways is "only speculation," and that the company does not comment on speculation. US Airways did not return calls for comment.

America West made a run at another struggling airline, ATA Airlines, late last year but decided against making a formal bid for the because it couldn't put together a deal that made financial sense. A big obstacle was the cost of acquiring the Indianapolis carrier's planes. ATA ended up in a deal with Southwest.

At the time of the America West-ATA talks, one analyst who was opposed to that deal said a merger with US Airways would make more sense.

A key attraction, observers say, is the marriage of America West's West Coast-heavy operations and US Airways' East Coast emphasis.

Given the industry's fuel price and airfare woes, however, most see more challenges than benefits to any significant deal at this stage.

The most immediate obstacle is money. America West and most other airlines are losing millions right now and need every penny for their operations. In the same report, Baker says America West will face a crash crunch by the end of the year. He said America West, which ended 2004 with unrestricted cash and investments of $306 million, could be down to as low as the $60 million range. It needs to raise a minimum of about $100 million, but Baker added it should be able to do that.

Robert Mann, an airline industry consultant in Port Washington, N.Y., said the economics don't seem right at this point. If anything, a code-sharing deal would seem to make more sense. Under code sharing, airlines link their networks and feed each other passengers. It enables them to increase their business without the added costs of new cities or the hefty expenses of a merger.

Another possible player in any deal could be Phoenix-based Mesa Air Group and its chairman, Jonathan Ornstein. Mesa is best known locally as America West Express, but it also flies as US Airways Express.

In the wake of recent large investments in US Airways by two of its other commuter partners, Mesa has said it is considering an investment in the airline. Mesa has about $300 million in cash.

Despite analyst reports this week suggesting Mesa is no longer a player on that front because of developments involving the other players, Ornstein said Friday the company still is considering ways to help US Airways return to profitability.[/font]
if(ScriptsLoaded) stInit();

This whole idea of 'working together" is just crap.

Look at yourselves. Suppose a new pilot can go work at gojet (when they start) or else Eagle (pretty much stagnant, right?).

Now, if the industry recovers a little, who gets to move up? The guy who is stuck in the right seat of a turboprop for four years (or way more)? Or the guy who upgraded to jet PIC in 1.5 years? I'll give you one guess.

So, in order to satisfy all of your 'ideals' on how we should hold out for good pay, what does that give us? Your undying admiration? Meanwhile, other "bottom-feeder" pilots (redundant phrase, that) are much more viable when things improve because of their better paper qualifications.

What are YOU doing to ensure that those who are trying to hold up your mythical bar actually end up with something to show for it?

Answer: Nothing.

We all have our own interests to look out for, and I will be d-mned before I am going to worry about satisfying the selfish (and illogical) desires of a bunch of people who see me as nothing but a pawn in the bar-holding-up game.

When you have something to offer in return for me giving up advancement opportunities other than your warmest wishes, let's talk. Until then, the race-to-the-bottom whiners can go screw themselves.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back