• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fletch F Fletch said:
Fellow UAL furloughees,
Fletch F Fletch said:

I was a May 2000 hire and am now a probie at a large cargo outfit in the midst of contract negotiations. Also looming is the possible reduction of the mail contract (which apparently makes up 50% of flying). Included in this mix is a less than enjoyable commute to a city nowhere near as nice as the many UAL domiciles (or the UAL domicile where I still live: western mountainous state). So, what I want to know is, if said cargo company can't get their sh-crud together, should I accept the recall?

Poorly educated minds would like any advice available. Any sarcasm or ridicule accepted.

Gracias.

Triple-F,
If you really want advice, you'll probably need to be a little less coy regarding the outfit you're working for now.
Some of the "clues" about your current employer point to Fedex. Except that some of your info isn't correct (assuming it is Fedex).
1- The mail isn't 50% of the flying.
2- The current mail contract isn't in jeopardy (yes, UPS just got a new one) however, Fedex's still dwarfs theirs (less than 10%) and USPS has no plans to change it.
3 - In spite of the current lack of contract, I'd hesitate to characterize Fedex as not having their "sh-crud" together. Their current financial state is something UAL hasn't seen in its entire history.

I'm not saying things will never turn bad at Fedex, but their history is certainly better than UAL. Given the unrest in the oil producing areas of the world and potential for further attacks on us, my $$ is still in the world of cargo. I miss living in domicile, traveling on passes, etc. - BUT, I missed not flying more when the sh-crud hit the fan at UAL. They're not out of the woods. I'd stick w/ Fedex (if that's where you are). At a minimum, don't rush into your decision. Bypass until you have to make the final call. Why burn a bridge (either one) before you have to.

Can't give you much on the commute. Move or deal with it if you want to stick w/ cargo. If you're not holding a good line yet, the commute gets better. I'm in my crash pad for ~20 hours for the first time in more than 3 months. The double deadheads really make the commute an almost non-event.

One final thought. You may not care, but if you bail, you’ll probably hose every UAL furloughee (maybe EVERY furloughee from a major) in the pool or trying to get on at Fedex. You may even force some other probies to have to answer some pretty pointed questions from their ACP or CP.
Good Luck.

Fox-Tree said:
Triple-F,
If you really want advice, you'll probably need to be a little less coy regarding the outfit you're working for now.
Some of the "clues" about your current employer point to Fedex. Except that some of your info isn't correct (assuming it is Fedex).
1- The mail isn't 50% of the flying.
2- The current mail contract isn't in jeopardy (yes, UPS just got a new one) however, Fedex's still dwarfs theirs (less than 10%) and USPS has no plans to change it.
3 - In spite of the current lack of contract, I'd hesitate to characterize Fedex as not having their "sh-crud" together. Their current financial state is something UAL hasn't seen in its entire history.

I'm not saying things will never turn bad at Fedex, but their history is certainly better than UAL. Given the unrest in the oil producing areas of the world and potential for further attacks on us, my $$ is still in the world of cargo. I miss living in domicile, traveling on passes, etc. - BUT, I missed not flying more when the sh-crud hit the fan at UAL. They're not out of the woods. I'd stick w/ Fedex (if that's where you are). At a minimum, don't rush into your decision. Bypass until you have to make the final call. Why burn a bridge (either one) before you have to.

Can't give you much on the commute. Move or deal with it if you want to stick w/ cargo. If you're not holding a good line yet, the commute gets better. I'm in my crash pad for ~20 hours for the first time in more than 3 months. The double deadheads really make the commute an almost non-event.

One final thought. You may not care, but if you bail, you’ll probably hose every UAL furloughee (maybe EVERY furloughee from a major) in the pool or trying to get on at Fedex. You may even force some other probies to have to answer some pretty pointed questions from their ACP or CP.
Good Luck.

Dude REALX!

He was just asking a question...CHILL

If he wants to bail on FEDEX that is HIS decision!

Sonny Crockett said:
Dude REALX!

He was just asking a question...CHILL

If he wants to bail on FEDEX that is HIS decision!

:confused: ??? I'm not quite sure why you feel I need to chill. What in my post gave you the impression that I need to be told to relax? I know he was asking a question. That's why I tried to give him an answer. I tried to give the guy an honest opinion and some things to consider which was what I thought he was asking for. I could care less what he does.

You're right - bailing is HIS decision. I never said it wasn't. I just pointed out that it has the potential to effect others. He'll still make it.

I have to agree with Fox-T about hauling the mail - with United and SWA giving up domestic mail carrying and the Post Office pleased with FedEx's performance, I'd say that is not an issue. Fact is, FedEx is in the position of turning down business because they don't have enough lift. Talk to some of the guys you know still flying at United to help make your decision.

Fletch F Fletch said:
Fellow UAL furloughees,

I was a May 2000 hire and am now a probie at a large cargo outfit in the midst of contract negotiations. Also looming is the possible reduction of the mail contract (which apparently makes up 50% of flying). Included in this mix is a less than enjoyable commute to a city nowhere near as nice as the many UAL domiciles (or the UAL domicile where I still live: western mountainous state). So, what I want to know is, if said cargo company can't get their sh-crud together, should I accept the recall?

Poorly educated minds would like any advice available. Any sarcasm or ridicule accepted.

Gracias.

Currently on bypass (not at FDX) myself but I'd stay at FedEx if I were in your shoes. At the very least pass it up for as long as possible. No better seat in the stands to watch this game being played out than where you're at right now. The commute may be bad but don't they pay for your tickets to get to and from work? Good luck on making the right choice when the time comes. Maybe life will get a little better when you get to widebody FO over there. Life won't begin to improve greatly at UA until after 09.

Fletch F Fletch, a bypass will probably buy you another year before you have to make a permanent decision. That'd be the course that I'd opt for right now if I were in your shoes.

Fox-tree, it was pretty obvious that he was talkin' 'bout FedEx. Maybe he's looking at FedEx negatively, but that's not a bad thing after seeing what happened at UAL. I don't think that his decision will have as great an effect on other UAL/major furloughees as you make it out to be. Certainly FedEx had to anticipate a bit of attrition when those guys get recalled.

Certainly FedEx had to anticipate a bit of attrition when those guys get recalled.

Andy, actually I don't think they expect any attrition back to United or any other major. I'm at FedEx with lots of other furloughed United guys, and I can tell you triple F is the exception. Its a no brainer, just compare 727 plumber pay to United narrow body pay. Everyone is taking the bypass because that is the smart thing to do, but I know of no one even considering going back.

Concur Skykid. If someone leaves, it will raise eyebrows. I haven't met anyone who is looking at Fedex as a place to spin their wheels until UAL/AA/etc. calls them back.

Andy,
I guess I didn't see the point in being so mysterious. If the guy wanted advice/opinions, just state the facts. "I'm at Fedex, furloughed UAL, live in Denver, blah, blah." It's not like he was fooling anyone if he was worried about being identified.

Fox-Tree said:
Concur Skykid. If someone leaves, it will raise eyebrows. I haven't met anyone who is looking at Fedex as a place to spin their wheels until UAL/AA/etc. calls them back.

Andy,
I guess I didn't see the point in being so mysterious. If the guy wanted advice/opinions, just state the facts. "I'm at Fedex, furloughed UAL, live in Denver, blah, blah." It's not like he was fooling anyone if he was worried about being identified.

How do you know he's not at UPS? Just curious, I must have missed something.

Latest resources

Back