• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL announces another recall class- 21 Aug

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you were out more than 36 months, you get the Freeze.

Understand. Thanks for the replies. I just hope to be awarded whatever gets me a line the quickest, so I can use the Big Pick to get me down to around 50 to 60 hrs. per month.

Andy said:
If you watch the vacancy bids, you'll see that there have been several 767 bids to recalled furloughees on mil leave. I've seen a ton of mil leaves getting different aircraft/domiciles on the 737 and airbus bids.

The problem is that, even though I'm on mil leave and haven't done training, they have still given me a 3 year freeze to the 737. So I'm not eligible to put in for a vacancy. I'm stuck with the 737 unless I can find a trade.

Huggyu2 said:
The problem is that, even though I'm on mil leave and haven't done training, they have still given me a 3 year freeze to the 737. So I'm not eligible to put in for a vacancy. I'm stuck with the 737 unless I can find a trade.

You sure? You shouldn't incur a freeze until you start training.

Huggy, I got a response on the UAL ALPA board indicating what I thought ... you don't incur a freeze until you enter training. You can call a flight manager and have him put in bids for you.
Who told you that you've got a freeze on the 737?
When I'm recalled, I plan on going into the IADFO and plug in a bunch of vacancy bids even though I'll be on mil leave. I don't want to fly in the LCO; it sounds brutal.

Bob Neal emailed me and told me I had the freeze. So did the letter I received from UAL.
I'll call my domicile and see what they say.

Huggyu2 said:
Bob Neal emailed me and told me I had the freeze. So did the letter I received from UAL.
I'll call my domicile and see what they say.

Huggy, I was afraid that you were going to tell me that. I'd say just call your domicile and play dumb. :)
Let us know the results.

Flip Conroy said:
Which part? That they are recalling or that it takes about 100 calls to fill 20 positions and the bypasses are increasing because no one wants to go back to that craphole?

There's a village looking for you.

Huggy, you got me thinking about the freeze while on ML. From what I gather, you get a freeze as soon as you go on ML. If you're on ML for 24 months, you'll still owe another 12 months.
However, I was reading C2003. I've copied 8-D-4-c below:
[FONT=Arial,Bold]

8-D-4-c
[/FONT]
The above provision shall not restrict a pilot from

bidding up in status (i.e., First Officer to Captain) at any
time; however, a pilot who vacates an awarded
assignment by bidding up in status, may be ineligible to
bid and be awarded any other vacancy with an effective
date earlier than the fourteen (14) months (thirty-six (36)
months) provided above, plus the amount remaining
unfulfilled from his prior assignment. Notwithstanding the
above bidding restriction, a pilot who is awarded a
vacancy and subsequently receives another award to a
higher status prior to beginning training for the initial
vacancy award shall not incur any bidding restriction as a
result of the initial vacancy award.​

Please note the last sentence. I interpret this as allowing us to bid for larger equipment while on ML. The added bonus of this is that the freeze on 767/777/400 fleets is 14 months. Depending on how long you hang out on ML, you may be able to bid up to a 777/400 before returning to UAL.
I've read a couple of posts indicating that there will be quite a few 777 & 400 FOs who will hit age 60 within the next year. Also, TK is advertising for additional 400 PIs; this is feeding the rumor of UAL entering back into cargo ops.

Also, here's 8-D-4-b:
[FONT=Arial,Bold]
8-D-4-b​
The above bid restriction shall also apply to a
pilot who requires training upon being hired as a pilot or
upon being recalled from furlough; except that the period
of restriction shall begin upon the date the pilot is
assigned to training.

I again read this as not having a bid restriction while on ML.

And a bit more food for thought: How much longer will UAL be flying the 737? I see that as the next fleet to be retired.​
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Fellow UAL furloughees,

I was a May 2000 hire and am now a probie at a large cargo outfit in the midst of contract negotiations. Also looming is the possible reduction of the mail contract (which apparently makes up 50% of flying). Included in this mix is a less than enjoyable commute to a city nowhere near as nice as the many UAL domiciles (or the UAL domicile where I still live: western mountainous state). So, what I want to know is, if said cargo company can't get their sh-crud together, should I accept the recall?

Poorly educated minds would like any advice available. Any sarcasm or ridicule accepted.

Gracias.

Latest resources

Back