Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fletch F Fletch said:
Fellow UAL furloughees,

I was a May 2000 hire and am now a probie at a large cargo outfit in the midst of contract negotiations. Also looming is the possible reduction of the mail contract (which apparently makes up 50% of flying). Included in this mix is a less than enjoyable commute to a city nowhere near as nice as the many UAL domiciles (or the UAL domicile where I still live: western mountainous state). So, what I want to know is, if said cargo company can't get their sh-crud together, should I accept the recall?

Poorly educated minds would like any advice available. Any sarcasm or ridicule accepted.

Gracias.

Dude, You would get the award for the world's biggest idiot for quitting FedEx to take a recall at United.

FreightNazi said:
Dude, You would get the award for the world's biggest idiot for quitting FedEx to take a recall at United.

Maybe he's not happy flying freight. Maybe he misses interaction with pax, F/A's ... Maybe he misses terminals, duty free shops ...

Maybe it's not all about the money for him.

We're not all the same.

GogglesPisano said:
Maybe he's not happy flying freight. Maybe he misses interaction with pax, F/A's ... Maybe he misses terminals, duty free shops ...

Maybe it's not all about the money for him.

We're not all the same.

True. But, one has to think of their future. United hasn't made money in over six years. How many billions of dollars profit did FedEx make just last year?

If it were me, I'd stay at FDX. But, like they say, thirty-one flavors for a reason!

GP

GuppyPuppy said:
True. But, one has to think of their future. United hasn't made money in over six years. How many billions of dollars profit did FedEx make just last year?

If it were me, I'd stay at FDX. But, like they say, thirty-one flavors for a reason!

GP

I think he should quit FedEx and go back to UAL, and burn that bridge for 1000's of other applicants at FedEx who are furloughed from their airline, who have crossed-their-hearts and triple promised that they would not leave FedEx if lucky enough to be hired

yep, thats what he should do.

brothers taking care of brothers, also known as the "pilot profession"

Whale Rider said:
Hey Crockett, what's the latest on UAL buying Polars 747-400F's? That rumor has kind of faded away.

I don't know, the rumor was REALLY hot about two months ago, and Mr Dolan (who came from Atlas I think) has kinda been hinting about a new Cargo fleet but with a roadblock being ALPA (so take that for what it is worth)

I agree it is fading away! Any news from your end?

Sonny Crockett said:
I don't know, the rumor was REALLY hot about two months ago, and Mr Dolan (who came from Atlas I think) has kinda been hinting about a new Cargo fleet but with a roadblock being ALPA (so take that for what it is worth)

I agree it is fading away! Any news from your end?

Just lots of furloughs coming and the remaining guys piling on the 744's.

Whale Rider said:
Just lots of furloughs coming and the remaining guys piling on the 744's.

That sucks, are you going to be ok?

Sorry for the intrusion but I am following very closely the trend at United and i am very pleased to see them recalling at a steady pace, can you guess when they will be ready to hire again and if they will, on what airplane they will the new hires will be assigned?

cheers

AMDFlyer said:
Sorry for the intrusion but I am following very closely the trend at United and i am very pleased to see them recalling at a steady pace, can you guess when they will be ready to hire again and if they will, on what airplane they will the new hires will be assigned?

cheers

AMD,

I heard recently that if age 65 does not happen we could be hiring by the end of next year. With the deficit of pilots we currently have it might be a bit sooner for hiring. I think they are about all the way through the furlough list and as they move back up the list it will force the guys that bypassed to either return or resign.

While in the past we hired into all airplanes from the 767 down I suspect that any new hires will go to either the A320 or B737.

I hope we start hiring soon and best of luck if you decide to join us here at UAL.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back