• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

U.S. Airways trying to buy Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The DOJ isn't any more likely to approve this than they did the United the USAir deal. Come on guys, this isn't going to happen. I can see it now though. Delta and USAir guys can start bickering about seniority and denying jumpseats.

Different day and age. It will pass DOJ.

CNBC is interviewing two analysts from Bear Stearn and Standard and Poor's.... these two practically creamed their shorts. They essentially said it doesn't matter what Delta wants, this thing is going to happen.

How or why would Airways begin with another merger before they completed the first one?

Who would have thought that a senior guy at America West could eventually be a Captain on a 777 based in ATL. This industry is amazing. (Or disgusting I am not sure which.)

In my opinion, CVG stays. You have to remember why it exists: They can't fit enough people through ATL. The only city that would come close to replacing it is PHL, and it has the exact same problem as ATL. Pittsburgh has been LCC'd, and tons of midwesterners will still go through CVG just to avoid ORD (or ATL).

SLC is the biggest target, but Skywest will not be a loser. Remember that they've got a contract signed which would move them to the carrier(s) without a contract, Comair and Chautauqua. Comair is the big loser here, and may once again face liquidation just because they won't need RJ's.

Mergers and buyouts seem to be as big a part of the PAX industry as the airplanes themselves. Looking at the past 40 years:

Pan Am and National
Mowhawk-Allegheny
USAir and Piedmont
USAir and PSA
USAirways and America West
TWA and Ozark
North Central-Southern-Hughes Airwest (Republic)
Northwest and Republic
Delta and Western
Delta and Northeast
Southwest and Morris Air
Continental-Frontier-PeoplesExpress-New York Air
American and AirCal
American and Reno Air
American and TWA

I sure hope this acqusition is handled the same as the Delta/PanAm purchase. Maybe a little staple/slot on the bottom for a "Few" pilots. Hank Duffy could come out of retirement and achieve a few extra staples for the Crop Dusters.

Latest resources

Back