U.S. Airways trying to buy Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Holy consolidation Batman!!!

Many of us that have predicted the legacy consolidation didn't see this scenerio.

This is the first blink my friends. Take a look around you. The airline business is going to look different two years from now. Within a month I say there will be another merger announcement. Continental and United?

Best of luck to all of us.

I guess this means more REVISIONS in the Operating Manuals. We should all be issued our own personal assistants to keep up with the procedure changes. This is getting Crazy. FO "Seat Belt Sign Off. Verified." Capt. "Keep your hands off my Seat Belt Sign". FO but, but...Ok Verified, Hand off Seat belt Sign.

SLC stays if Doug wants to take pressure off PHX. Not familiar with SKYW contract, but lawyers will find a way to break it if SLC is not a part of the plan. Republic is probably a very big winner here.

Skywest's future does not necessarily depend on SLC. The deal with Delta made pre-bankruptcy included a clause that said if the contract is broken before the ammendable date (10-years I think) then Delta pays Skywest $125 million. To my knowledge, it says nothing about SLC, only gates in ATL. ASA is included in all of that.

Republic, Mesa, and Skywest all have the money to buy their way out of trouble. That leaves Comair. I'd fully expect to see Comair completely replaced in CVG and JFK by Republic and Skywest. Mesa done pi$$ed a bunch of people off, so they just might find themselves outside looking in.

As far as hubs, I think SLC takes the biggest hit, although Delta will still remain the biggest player in town, at least until Southwest gets enough planes. CVG has far too high a yield to let it go the way of PIT, and PHL is too far away and too messed up to affect CVG. Not to mention the loss of CVG would rid them of their furthest northwest operating hub besides SLC. You'd have nothing between PHL and SLC, which is a very significant market area, especially considering how people in that area are sick to death of ORD. ATL is obviously fine, but I'm not sold on CLT making it unscathed. It'll still be big, but it just doesn't make sense to have ATL and CLT both mega-hubs. Yields are high there, but yields at the hub airport don't affect ticket prices of the connecting pax. I'd expect smaller aircraft out of CLT to retain market share and O&D yield, and remaining connections going through ATL or CVG. LAS and PHX are powerhouses for Airways and connect everywhere West better than SLC except for Seattle/Portland area and SFO to a much lesser extent.

I get the impression you like talking route strategy. Keep it coming! Its nice to be able to toss ideas back and forth with someone who knows a thing or two about it.

:confused: Does anybody else think that we'll be able to pick-up a bunch of surplus RJ's really cheap if this goes through?? Now multiply that by the number of pilots hired to crew each aircraft....

LCC already has $7.2B in financing secured...

If the other Legacy carriers follow this model in order to stay afloat, I guess you can increase the first statement 3 or 4 fold (just a guess)...

Oil is getting very close to $60/bl again...

Less competition --> higher ticket prices --> less pax...?

Would the new Delta still favor Boeing? LCC takes gulps from the Airbus koolaid fountain.

Many domestic routes would be consolidated, but this would give LCC access to Asia, South America, Africa...

Just some thoughts.
Fire at will.

USAirways and America West can't even integrate themselves very well (AWA and US pilots are not close to an agreement on integration). What makes them think that Delta would be easier to integrate if they have had such a hard time integrating what is on their plate today?

How many consultants, accountants and lawyers would be required to integrate that mess? I should have gone to Law School....

Republic, Mesa, and Skywest all have the money to buy their way out of trouble. That leaves Comair. I'd fully expect to see Comair completely replaced in CVG and JFK by Republic and Skywest. Mesa done pi$$ed a bunch of people off, so they just might find themselves outside looking in.

Don't forget Piedmont and PSA, Air Wisconsin (who owns a chunk of LCC), Colgan, and TSA in the Airways side of the mix...

I agree with the access to Africa, South America, however 1 ATL-NRT ain't sheet. Fully expecting the announcement of AA-NWA and the stapleing and ending of my career.:bawling:

Actually, I've heard Parker doesn't think too highly of the Airbus and is looking more toward the Boeing route. Wouldn't a nice Boeing order be nice in order to offload a bunch of now aging Airbus aircraft. New airplanes could, very well, be a strong shot in the arm regarding maintenance costs........

I bet Jetblue isn't too happy right now......I don't think Parker has too much of a liking for JB......

Since alot of Delta's senior pilots took early retirement, you know that the senior USAir boys are licking their chops thinking about flying their newly acquired 777s around the world!

Latest resources

Back