U/AWA PID set @ 10/24/2005

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Max Powers said:
But the fact is I am getting screwed by furloughs from Usairways..
Since it's so important to you to know who is screwing you, it's CEO Doug Parker for making the merger happen. The USA furloughees haven't done anything to you.
Personally I heard that AWA is pushing hard to not let furloughs in due to their longevity which translates into higher pay and a bad work ethic.
See the quote from the signed TA below.
TWA chick I don't think anything has been "set in stone" I just got a letter 3 days ago asking me to keep all contact information up to date.
Here's a quote from the legally binding Transition Agreement signed by AWALPA, USALPA, and AWA and US Airways management: (bold print added by me)

II.b.7. America West may hire new pilots if all pilots on the US Airways seniority list have been offered recall to US Airways or have been offered a pilot position at America West. New pilots hired during the Separate Operations will be placed by their date of hire on a third seniority list entitled “New Hire Seniority List,” will be junior to all pilots on the pilot seniority lists of America West and US Airways on the effective date of this Letter of Agreement, and will continue to be junior to those pilots on the integrated seniority list of America West and US Airways pilots.

Like I wrote before, I don't why you're getting letters that are in any way encouraging but these are the facts (colloquially known as "set in stone"). It would be great if AWA were to keep the pool alive until off-the-street hiring occurs in several years but I wouldn't count on it.

OnTheDole said:
"Well AWA was furloughing and bankrupt in the early 1990's. They were also losing pilots to US Airways in the late 1990's because things didn't look so hot there."

And when US Air 'saved' them from their sinking ship - they were in essence stapled to the US Air sen list - right?

I'm not advocating a staple in any way, nor do I ever want to be caught agreeing with the "Doug Parker" yahoo - but the idea that AWA owes you one is a bit absurd

OK, in reference to the AWA guys who came to U in 1999 and beyond, so you'd, like, staple them again? Below a group of AWA guys who came over from CHQ, TSA, GIA? Wow......harsh. Most of the 2004 and 2005 new hires at AWA sound like chest-pounding, hard core industry veterans on this board, and everyone can see that they're just posing. The tough talking "keyboard commandos" really crack me up.

And, BTW, what did I imply that AWA (who's that?) owes me? That someday I'll be recalled to US Airways, who has merged with AWA and as a result acquired substantial outside investment.......why is that so absurd? Oh, that I think there should be and will be some slotting? Is that absurd. What are you guys....anti union? White collar laborers?

BeCareful! said:
OK, in reference to the AWA guys who came to U in 1999 and beyond, so you'd, like, staple them again? Below a group of AWA guys who came over from CHQ, TSA, GIA? Wow......harsh. Most of the 2004 and 2005 new hires at AWA sound like chest-pounding, hard core industry veterans on this board, and everyone can see that they're just posing. The tough talking "keyboard commandos" really crack me up.

And, BTW, what did I imply that AWA (who's that?) owes me? That someday I'll be recalled to US Airways, who has merged with AWA and as a result acquired substantial outside investment.......why is that so absurd? Oh, that I think there should be and will be some slotting? Is that absurd. What are you guys....anti union? White collar laborers?

The only chest thumping "keyboard commandos" (I like that description:) ) I see on this web board are the furloughed USAirways guys like youself. As far as the funding, i seriously doubt that USAir, on their own, without the benefit(?) of a merger would have been able to secure the amount of funding that we have been able to get together.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Max Powers said:
OK ok...

Personally I heard that AWA is pushing hard to not let furloughs in due to their longevity which translates into higher pay and a bad work ethic.

TWA chick I don't think anything has been "set in stone" I just got a letter 3 days ago asking me to keep all contact information up to date.

I don't know where you get your info from, but NO ONE is "pushing hard" to keep furloughed USAir pilots off the property. We are supposedly set to hire 80 pilots 1st quarter 2006 and they will come from the furloughed USAir list. As far as your letter from HR ,that department has the highest turnover rate at AWA and hasn't had a good handle on what's going on in the company in years. Take what HR tells you with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
PHXFLYR said:
We are supposedly set to hire 80 pilots 1st quarter 2006 and they will come from the furloughed USAir list.

I believe that plan has been pushed back a quarter or two....or three. Like you said, take the info with a grain of salt! AWA union leadership was hoping to get the PID in around the first of the year. Sounds like it will be earlier so answers sould be forthcoming sooner than later.

Parker:

Keep up the attitude about how great AWA is.

From my perspective, until shortly after 9/11, AWA was the airline that was losing pilots to other, more stable, more desirable carriers. No one in their right mind would pick AWA over UAL, DAL, NWA....you get the picture.

You need to check your history books. AWA was very close to going the way of the three pilot airplane.

Lastly, AWA didn't buy UAIR. The companies were merged with outside capital. They liked the USAirways brand better, they liked your management better.

Timing is everything and success is very fleeting. Why should you get to benefit from the thousands of UAIR retirements? Has AWA grown considerably in the past few years? How many new hulls? My take on why AWA is hiring is because they are losing pilots to other carriers and have a few retirements.

A350

Last edited:

Well, when the merger was announced - AWA was doing well and USAir was, um, how far from liquidating ???

Doug Parker said:

Well, when the merger was announced - AWA was doing well and USAir was, um, how far from liquidating ???

Yes, Doug, and that one moment in time is the only moment that should matter to anyone involved.

As for how close you think Dr. Bronner and Co. were to liquidating their investment, I think the three question marks at the end of your post says it all. You for sure don't have the answer, just as none of the supposed experts on Wall St. had it. If the "word on the street" were correct about US Airways, it would have been gone years ago. But it's not; it lives on and has absorbed the most successful of the post deregulation experiments (AWA)

And just how "well" was AWA doing anyway? Wasn't it you, DOUG PARKER, who was quoted in numerous AP newswires saying that AWA needed this merger to survive?

Yeah.....you guys were doing "well." That's the stuff you'll be blathering to all the captains you fly with for the next 20 years. Man, are they going to get tired of hearing that pathetic sound bite.

PHXFLYR said:
The only chest thumping "keyboard commandos" (I like that description:) ) I see on this web board are the furloughed USAirways guys like youself. As far as the funding, i seriously doubt that USAir, on their own, without the benefit(?) of a merger would have been able to secure the amount of funding that we have been able to get together.

Really, PHXFLYR? I think if I searched, I'd find three chest-beating AWA posters to every one of our guys, but that's just a rough estimate. I've actually left this topic alone for quite some time. I probably will again soon, so you guys can go on talking about staplers without me. (I'll be tuning up my slot machine.)

As for the financial part of your post, the same could be said of AWA. If Doug Parker could have raised $800million on his own, why didn't he just do it, right? Furthermore, why does he spend his time posting on flightinfo.com? :)

A350 said:
Why should you get to benefit from the thousands of UAIR retirements?
A350

You had me all the way until there. I can't help it if I'm younger than those guys and gals. Just because AWA hasen't grown as fast or started wide-body flights over the pond (minus the 747's of years past) means we don't desirve a far intergration? I respectfully disagree. As you said, check your history books, it hasen't been all rosy for AWA in the past, they've paid their dues too so-to-speak. Back in the 80's, USAir was the place to be...one of the highest paid flying jobs around, these guys and gals had their high times of benifiting, so now just because their "older" and have falling on tough times we're suppose to let them get a windfall intergration??? sorry to sound insensitive (not trying to be) but nope, no way......

Latest resources

Back