Twin engine down near downtown ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATL,

I have agreed with a lot of what you've posted on this board, even when it appeared that there were only a few of us who did. But I have to say that I'm disappointed in your characterization of the people in that area as "poor, down-trodden, welfare-mooching, uneducated, civicly-disinterested black population that not only makes up the majority of the City's citizenry, but also controls the corrupt government, major local broadcast networks and a plethora of small businesses."

If I had grown up in Atlanta it's possible that I too would have lived in those same communities. Hell, as an African American I know plenty of people not only from the College Park section of ATL, but similar communities throughout the country. Your assumption that the person Oakum attempted to quote was a welfare moocher, civily disinterested, or whatever other deragatory term you'd like to use is interesting, given your admonishment of Super 80 for the stereotypes he posted against homosexuals. So the government is corrupt, what's your point? I live in NJ and just outside of NYC, there are plenty of corrupts govenments around and they surely aren't run by blacks. And I won't even mention the piss-poor national media that we certainly don't run.

Hey, I can laugh at my own people. I'm not offended when others point out some of the stupid things we do. It's the same way that I can laugh at the ridiculous stuff done by just about any other groups. But I'm also capable of filtering out the truth. Perhaps as someone who comes from a group that has been unfairly labeled and stereotyped on many occasions I'm a little more careful not to do it to others. I'm just as quick to defend Southerners against some of the stupidity I've heard about them here in the Northeast as I am to defend people of color.

As someone who belongs to one of those groups I expected you to be a little more enlightened.

Dave

Last edited:
Mr. Cole said:
ATL,

I have agreed with a lot of what you've posted on this board, even when it appeared that there were only a few of us who did. But I have to say that I'm disappointed in your characterization of the people in that area as "poor, down-trodden, welfare-mooching, uneducated, civicly-disinterested black population that not only makes up the majority of the City's citizenry, but also controls the corrupt government, major local broadcast networks and a plethora of small businesses."

If I had grown up in Atlanta it's possible that I too would have lived in those same communities. Hell, as an African American I know plenty of people not only from the College Park section of ATL, but similar communities throughout the country. Your assumption that the person Oakum attempted to quote was a welfare moocher, civily disinterested, or whatever other deragatory term you'd like to use is interesting, given your admonishment of Super 80 for the stereotypes he posted against homosexuals. So the government is corrupt, what's your point? I live in NJ and just outside of NYC, there are plenty of corrupts govenments around and they surely aren't run by blacks. And I won't even mention the piss-poor national media that we certainly don't run.

Hey, I can laugh at my own people. I'm not offended when others point out some of the stupid things we do. It's the same way that I can laugh at the ridiculous stuff done by just about any other groups. But I'm also capable of filtering out the truth. Perhaps as someone who comes from a group that has been unfairly labeled and stereotyped on many occasions I'm a little more careful not to do it to others. I'm just as quick to defend Southerners against some of the stupidity I've heard about them here in the Northeast as I am to defend people of color.

As someone who belongs to one of those groups I expected you to be a little more enlightened.

Dave

Whilst I appreciate your comments and certainly understand your perspective, I think you may've overread into my comments. It was, in fact, you that brought up "a certain segment of the population" in your response to ATR-DRIVR. I, in a quite off-colour manner, simply played into your hands by blathering about the blacks of Atlanta. I have absolutely no problems with African Americans; in fact, I date a lovely, young black lady when I was in D.C back in high school. However, just as I comment above, I have no care for those people (black, white, purple, green or otherwise) that consistently fail to contribute to society. I have lived in Atlanta for over 4 years now and I am continually disappointed with the class of people I find here. Growing up in Knoxville, I suppose I was spoiled, being exposed to blacks who could form complete, coherent sentences and that had a strong worth ethic. For what ever reasons, whether it be the history, the demographics or otherwise, a major portion of the black Atlanta population fits the media-pushed stereotype of African Americans. From gold-rimmed teeth to incomprehensible language, these people continuously fail to meet my lofty ideas of "citizens". Perhaps I have my sights set to high for my fellow man. Furthermore, I did not mean to infer that ONLY black governments are corrupt; we only need to look as far as Capitol Hill to undo that myth.

As I've said above, it's not the color of one's skin that irks me. It's his lack of education, inability to form articulate and detailed sentences and overall contribution to society. Yes, it was wrong of me to assume that the people quoted above fit into the category of "welfare-mooching" and "civicly-disinterested", however, again, I made those careless presumptions based on speech and apparent education, not race.

If I offended you, I apologize. The fact that you just publicly (and some would say foolishly) voiced your support of me in previous posts means more to me than you realize. After being beat up on this board, it's nice to know I'm not the only crazy one here.

I'll take better care in the future to clarify my "insults"; heaven forbid I p!ss off the wrong people. ;)

Ailerongirl said:
Did you guys catch this?? This is the quote, copied and pasted, from under a photo of a Baron on the News 11 webpage....
I hate to undermine your efforts A-girl, but that's actually a valid statement. Often times after a crash, the media or websites like this one will provide a picture or link to a picture of the actual aircraft before the crash. In this case, they just slapped up the first Baron they could find and wanted us to know it wasn't actually the one involved in the crash.

FL000 said:
I hate to undermine your efforts A-girl, but that's actually a valid statement. Often times after a crash, the media or websites like this one will provide a picture or link to a picture of the actual aircraft before the crash. In this case, they just slapped up the first Baron they could find and wanted us to know it wasn't actually the one involved in the crash.
Ahhhh....I didn't realise that. I guess I see their point now, I've just not ever seen paratheses used under a picture before and thought it was funny.

I know this thread has gotten off the topic of the accident but I know a very close family member to the couple killed in this crash. I feel horrible they had to receive this devastating news today. I'm shocked and saddened by this so please keep the families in mind as we joke about the reporting coverage....which I will also agree has been horrible the little I've seen...:(

Latest resources

Back