• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Twin Comanche

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think a PA-30 would make a good trainer but I don't like the idea of not having brakes on the right side.

That's probably one reason why the insurance company for the flight school is requiring me to have 25 hours in type. Luckly, I'm getting those hours for just fuel and with a comanche that's only about 16 gph.

scottn2flying said:
That's probably one reason why the insurance company for the flight school is requiring me to have 25 hours in type. Luckly, I'm getting those hours for just fuel and with a comanche that's only about 16 gph.

Excellent deal man!

Brakes on the left only is a little risky. Just do your cuts on a nice wide runway, at low speed, and be ready to cut the mixtures, and hope to hell you can over power your student on the rudders.

I love these airplanes, they are economical, they provide best bang for the buck and they are easy to fly. A lot of airplanes in that year timeframe didn't have brakes on the right side. The person who will come to you will have some experience flying airplanes, so I wouldnt worry about it too much.

The notion of not having counter rotating props is a bit scary, but if you keep both eyes on the student during simulated engine failures , you'll be fine. (You said PA30 , not PA39. Piper decided to put the CR versions on a different type certificate )

Have fun flying it..

Be careful in you VMC demos, they can get out of hand in that airplane, also those VGs and stall strip bars are very important in taming the airplane during the VMC roll. I think they were a later AD after a few spun in the ground. It should have two strips on the right wing and one on the left. We used it as a trainer and had bad results. It's just not a trainer bird. I do remember it having a good economical range on it though.

I had responded but my post was lost in the flightinfo crash. I've given a lot of dual in the PA30. I thought it was a good trainer, but I've always been of the opinion that a trainer shouldn't have training wheels. If you get your multi in a dumbed down "safe" twin then you'll be dangerous in a "real" twin.

I've also done hundreds of Vmc demos in the PA30 and never scared myself. But as I posted before, beware of your students trying to maintain heading with bank. They will try to kill you. Wings level is the way to go. You might get away with it in a Seneca or Duchess but not in the twinkie. When the PA30 stalls, it really stalls and if you are single-engine you will spin. Also, if you stall it over the runway you will land very hard. It lands like a Mooney, there's a very narrow airspeed window for touchdown.

PA30's have a stall light but no horn. So watch it.

I got my MEI in it and I taught in it.

I'd take the student up for some pattern work on the first lesson to evaluate his/her basic landing/take off skills. Obviously a thorough take off brief on those issues is a must.

ackattacker said:
If you get your multi in a dumbed down "safe" twin then you'll be dangerous in a "real" twin.

I flew the Seminole and the twin Comanche my first few hundred hours.

Then I went straight into the BE58, PA31 and Aerostar all at the same time, I did fine.
It’s important to realize when you fly airplanes with more than one engine and retractable gear that the check out is going to be a little more complex than what you are used to from your single engine, fixed gear days.
These airplanes are very different from each other (and most likely from what you have been used to up to this point) and are fully capable of KILLING you. The PA30 has a somewhat unique emergency gear extension, the Baron has so much power on one engine that single engine taxi is impossible. The Aerostar will NOT rotate/fly by it self, a firm pull on the elevator is required, the airplane will keep accelerating until you run out of runway. The PA31 is turbo charged (a study in it self), but will NOT hold altitude at gross weight (in cruise) on one engine.

Just be careful, don’t get too “creative” with the training failures.

It’s a sweet airplane and even if it is a dumbed down "safe" twin it does the job.

GL,

Latest resources

Back