• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Twin Comanche

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Called another examiner and got the checkride scheduled. Apparently, it is at the DE choice. Any advice pertaining to this ride would be great. Such as, why are there two stall strips on the right wing but only one on the left?

The purpose of a stall strip is to disrupt the airflow over a portion of the wing at high angles of attack. The resulting disrupted airflow over the tail gives a warning buffet. It also slightly raises the stall speed of that wing. Using stall strips asymetrically is used to correct an asymetrical stalling tendency. In this case, the aerodynamicists were worried about a left wing drop and so put more stall strips on the right wing. I'm not sure if they did this for an engine out situation (with the left engine the critical one), or to try to fix the power on stall behavior. But the point is to try to prevent the aircraft from dropping the left wing.

from http://aopa2.org/pilot/features/2004/twin0408.html?PF

NASA's July 1971 final report reached three conclusions about the PA-30 Twin Comanche:
  • At the stall, large rolling and yawing moments occurred as a result of asymmetric wing stall. The left wing stalled, NASA said, at an angle of attack about 2 degrees lower than the right wing.
  • These rolling and yawing moments are larger than the corrective moments produced by aileron and rudder controls.
  • The airplane exhibits a flat spin under certain conditions involving the use of asymmetric power.
In July 1970, Piper provided — free of charge via Service Letter 558 — an airflow modification kit. This included wing leading edge stall strips, a rudder seal strip, an aileron/rudder interconnect system, and a re-rigging of the rudder and stabilator. All of this was intended to provide better aerodynamic stall warning and controllability at low airspeeds and high angles of attack.

Also, interesting story from http://www.comanchepilot.com/Tech_Articles/FLIGHT_OPS/Vmc_Upset/vmc_upset.html
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][/FONT]
My first approach to Vmc in the Twin Comanche was very subtle. Airspeed bled off very slowly, the yoke was held back to slow the airplane. Rudder pressure was increased till the rudder was hard over. At Vmc the airplane began to turn into the inoperative engine. I was out of rudder and could not keep the airplane from turning. Very good. I had recognized Vmc. My instructor was satisfied I'd had the experience. I relaxed on the yoke; airspeed picked up and I could now control direction again. Just to make sure I had the idea, I decided to try it again. Only this time, I didn't have the patience to go slowly toward Vmc. I knew what it took to get there so why not speed up the process a little? Big mistake!

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][/FONT]I pulled back sharply on the wheel. The power had not been touched. We slowed very quickly but the speed didn't stop at Vmc. We went through it suddenly. Very suddenly! The airplane snapped violently to the left and we were upside down in an instant. I reacted instinctively, pulling power, whipping ailerons, and stomping rudder all at the same time. I stopped the roll, but now we were on our back, nose down, headed for the ground, 4,000 feet below.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][/FONT]Don't ask me why, but the natural thing to do seemed to be to continue down in a split-S maneuver for recovery. I'd had enough rolling to last me awhile, but I suppose an alternative recovery would have been to roll on over and zoom out the bottom. It just seemed important at the time to stop the roll to keep from spinning. We lost about 2,000 feet, maybe more, in that half loop before we were level again.

JAC2LAS said:
I have some ocean front propterty in Arizona too! Haha...you got me...it's a 67'...I got it a little backwards...well a lot backwards:)
The avionics arn't brand new by any means, but the 75k seems pretty inline with what I've seen on aso.com. It's not my aircraft though, so I'm not 100% what the guy wants for it, but I think his thinking was around 75, but again, I'm not sure.
With a pretty basic package (dual nav-com, DME, ADF) what do you think it'd be worth?

Does the ocean front property in AZ come with the Twinco? 'Cos I can always sell the property and make it a gas money for her :)

Got my MEI today in the TwinCO, dispite a complete electrical failure. With Vmc, the DE said recover at the point that I feel comfortable or right before you lose DC and call out "ok I am about to lose DC". Once again thanks everybody for the great advice it really did help.

3. Having kept one at a 2000 grass strip I hoarked if off asap and climbed at blueline while bringing in the gear and flaps. Coming into a short field is the same as a heavy single except if you loose one on approach and add power you flip it over. (since you're below Vmc) SO come in faster if the field allows, otherwise take the risk.

Regarding the brakes, they use an older one (like '64) at CDW here in NJ that has dual brakes. Must've come from the factory that way or they picked up parts at the graveyard...

icefr8dawg said:
Regarding the brakes, they use an older one (like '64) at CDW here in NJ that has dual brakes. Must've come from the factory that way or they picked up parts at the graveyard...

Not eight-one-yankme... left side brakes. Is there another one at CDW for rental?

I am trying to find an instructor near Raleigh, NC to get a PA-30 logbook sign off for insurance purposes. A friend of mine has added me to his insurance and is allowing me to use his Twin Comanche for Angel Flights. Anybody know the best way to find an MEI with 25 hours in the Twinco, 1000 retract, and 1500 total time (basically to meet insurance mins)?

TrapAv8r said:
I am trying to find an instructor near Raleigh, NC to get a PA-30 logbook sign off for insurance purposes. A friend of mine has added me to his insurance and is allowing me to use his Twin Comanche for Angel Flights. Anybody know the best way to find an MEI with 25 hours in the Twinco, 1000 retract, and 1500 total time (basically to meet insurance mins)?

I wish I could help but, I am in middle tn and can only help you with the 25 hours in twinco. If you think there was away I could, let me know.

Latest resources

Back