• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Twin Comanche

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's a great airplane to fly and train in so long as you don't have to maintain it. Most are older and have old airplane problems like major structure cracking (landing gear) and limited parts availability. Many have been rode hard and put away wet in training ops. Did my MEI in one, had fun but the A/C was down for 4 months before I could start.

Onlyflyfreight said:

It’s a sweet airplane and even if it is a dumbed down "safe" twin it does the job.

GL,

I think you misunderestimated me. I meant that the TwinCo is not a "dumbed down" twin like those with C/R props and go-slow airfoils. That's why I think its a good trainer...

Ralgha said:
I flew one with a horn.

Didn't know they made them that way. Learn something new every day. The two I flew had lights.

don't feel pressure to rush your students through what is usually an easy add on. it is totally okay to tailor your training program to both the student and the airplane, and if it takes a few more hours to do RIGHT, then there is nothing WRONG with that! it is your butt that is on the line... in the airplane.... and liability wise later. have fun being am mei and moving into new areas of aviation. best regards. -casper

Thanks for all the great advice, now i've got a few more questions.
I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find the answers.
1. What is the exact purpose of the 2 stall strips on the right wing and only 1 on the left?
2. Should I perform slow flight below Vmc or at Vmc, or what are your thoughts on that?
3. What are the procedures for short field t/o and ldgs?
Also, anything else you can give me reguarding my checkride or just general comanche knowledge would be great

I did my multi-engine training in a twin-comanche. We didn't have counter rotating props, but the instructor felt comfortable taking his students through the full performance envelope of the aircraft. The airplane was pretty nice to fly, overall.

sidenote:

Is C.R. still instructing out of IKK?

ackattacker said:
I had responded but my post was lost in the flightinfo crash. I've given a lot of dual in the PA30. I thought it was a good trainer, but I've always been of the opinion that a trainer shouldn't have training wheels. If you get your multi in a dumbed down "safe" twin then you'll be dangerous in a "real" twin.

I've also done hundreds of Vmc demos in the PA30 and never scared myself. But as I posted before, beware of your students trying to maintain heading with bank. They will try to kill you. Wings level is the way to go. You might get away with it in a Seneca or Duchess but not in the twinkie. When the PA30 stalls, it really stalls and if you are single-engine you will spin. Also, if you stall it over the runway you will land very hard. It lands like a Mooney, there's a very narrow airspeed window for touchdown.

PA30's have a stall light but no horn. So watch it.

Another thing to watch with them is that some have extended prop sharfts and if you do stalls with full power you can rip the props off. Like everyone says, Its a great airplane and I did all my training in one and also taught in one for a while just be CAREFUL!!

skychicken said:
Another thing to watch with them is that some have extended prop shafts and if you do stalls with full power you can rip the props off.
Ah come on, you're joshing us. Who told you that?

'Sled

Latest resources

Back