• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TWA Still Kickin'

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nope all the Reno folks are safe, it's all a matter of timing. They were a finiacialy viable carrier (read not CH11 for the 3rd time). All of the pilots were stapled and not one is out on the street.

The TWA folks received a much better deal but due to circumstances outside the airlines control, well we all know the story

All of the Reno folks are north of "todays" no furlough line.

Let's keep beating that dead horse

Since aa is no longer a financially viable airline, where does that put you?

Also, since you guys can predict the future, why are you working for a financially struggling airline that is losing billions of dollars?

How does it feel when someone tells you your career expectations are zilch because your company is losing money, so you may as well start over?

Still don't get it that you are just a pilot, do you?

PS. It's only a dead horse to you, because you aren't affected. You aren't affected because of the TWA folks taking all the hits for you. It's pretty cold to call it a dead horse when thousands of folks have had their world turned upside down, lost everything they owned, gotten divorced, even committed suicide.

Your right though, we should all just forget it because it doesn't affect YOU. And YOU are tired of hearing about it. We all need to remember that the world revolves around aa pilots.

Originally posted by steveg
Since aa is no longer a financially viable airline, where does that put you?

G4G5
Let's see how many times has AA gone BK? So where does that put us? AA avoided BK during the darkest times in avaitaion history. TWA couldn't turn a profit during the days of record profits. Don't get me started.
-----------------------------------------------------

Also, since you guys can predict the future, why are you working for a financially struggling airline that is losing billions of dollars?

G4G5
Name one of these airlines that isn't loosing record profits. DAL, UAL, CAL, USAir, NWA, AWA I could go on and on. Hey Nostradamus should every pilot at every major carrier in the US (outside of B6 and LUV) quit and start selling insurnace?

How does it feel when someone tells you your career expectations are zilch because your company is losing money, so you may as well start over?

G4G5
It's over for me, my number comes up within the next few months. Maybe I come back, maybe not. That's life I am getting furloughed by AA. Instead of sitting here crying about my once great TWA. I went out last month, hit the pavement, with my updated resume, in my new interview suit and found another job.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still don't get it that you are just a pilot, do you?

G4G5
Get over yourself. You win some and you loose some. I watched my father and my uncle suffer over at Pan Am. The samething could eaisly happen to me at AA. It's part of just being a pilot.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS. It's only a dead horse to you, because you aren't affected. You aren't affected because of the TWA folks taking all the hits for you. It's pretty cold to call it a dead horse when thousands of folks have had their world turned upside down, lost everything they owned, gotten divorced, even committed suicide.

G4G5
I wasn't effected, Hello! It sure would have been nice to have the extra $742 million plus expenses, debt burden, cost of aquisition, yada yada (3.5 billion). That cash could have been used to help AA get through the tuff times. Instead Carty purchases TWA and look what happened(I was for the aquisition). Sure nobody could have predicted it, but it did happen. Can you honestly sit there and tell us that the aquisition of TWA has helped the AA employees? Or would a leaner AA(minus TWA) have been in a better economic position to survive a post 9/11 world?

Or are you trying to tell us that TWA could have made it through all of this and come out with out furloughing a single sole? Because from what I remember Compton is on record stating "there was NO WHITE KNIGHT". Karbau was going no where and the only other viable offer was coming for your uncle Carl who promissed that TWA would be "20-40% smaller".(this was the pre 9/11 estimate). If you are trying to tell us, a 3 time loser would have been better off, then most folks are going to tell you that it's time to change the water in you bong Cheech.

I am not cold, I feel for these people the same way I felt for my relatives at Pan Am. But this is reality, TWA was not the first and I am willing to say that they won't be the last. History is full of TWA's and we all are fully aware of this when we choose aviation as a profession. When I tell you to "stop beating a dead horse" I am down playing what the folks at TWA went through. What I am telling you to move on with your life. It's done, it's over. Let it rest.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Your right though, we should all just forget it because it doesn't affect YOU. And YOU are tired of hearing about it. We all need to remember that the world revolves around aa pilots.

G4G5
Again it's not about me, as of Aug 1, I will no longer be an AA pilot. So I guess the world will still stop revolving around me, LOL. And yes WE are tired of hearing about it.

Last edited:
Pilotbob3 said:
so g4g5 are you a 69'er or a 31'er?

Hi Bob,

A 31%er without a doubt.

G whatever,

Feel better? Obviously I struck some cords. Perhaps it's you who needs to get over himself. You seem very angry now that you are forced to realize that just because you are an aa pilot, the sun doesn't set on you.

I'm much happier now that I am away from aa and the great sense of entitlement that apparently goes with being an aa pilot. You are right about one thing, we would all have been better off never having had any thing to do with amr. My life is 100% better, I hope the same for you.

Another thing is for sure. If aa had not bought TWA, you would have been furloughed a couple of years ago. We would have both been on the street. You ever think about telling a TWA pilot you are glad they were here, so you could collect your precious aa check while they got axed first?

I thought not.

Good luck with your new job. I hope you can find a balance, and learn to handle difficulty in some way other than blaming TWA for everything.

I am not blaming TWA for anything, and I don't see all that many of the folks I fly with blaming TWA, the economy, 9/11, SARS, or the war for their current mis fortunes.

What I do see is a lot of TWA folks blaming AA for 20+ year of mis management, Carl, 3 bk's, the economy, yada yada. To the point where we now have to listen to Hearings again(yes, 2+ years after the fact) on the aquisition.

That was my point let it rest. I am not sorry that I am getting furloughed. I am not sorry that I turned down B6 to go to AA. That's life you move on.

I am happy to have found a great job and can turn the page saying been there, done that, got the uniform.

As far as the TWA folks saving my job. I will grant you that, for a lot of folks they were able to get a pay check for a lot longer. Thanks.

But for the approx 450 AA pilots that were hired after 4/11/01, who were hired and placed behind the aquired. You may want to thank them because every TWA FO hired (even the 23 year old with 2 weeks of seniority) will get recalled back to AA before they do. Or all of the 400+ Eagle pilots(most of which has 10+ years of service to AMR) who will now have to wait untill every TWA fo has a job before they can excerise their flow through numbers.

See it's a two way street but if you don't look in the rear view mirror then the ride is a whole lot smoother.

Last edited:
G4G5,

Sorry you're getting the axe too. Just curious, if you'd stayed at Delta would you have already been furloughed? (or NW, for that matter?)

Latest resources

Back