• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TWA Flt 800

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But you do subscribe to spreading "officially sanctioned" crackpot theories about what happened that night.

The evidence in that documentary is very hard to completely dismiss unless one refuses to watch it...then it's easy.

Ignorance is bliss.

Well said!

Agreed. I watched it last night. I didn't see any crackpot theory proposed, as a matter of fact, I didn't see any theory proposed at all. They only pointed out the fact that numerous people reported seeing a streak of light or what appeared as "cheap fireworks" originating from sea level up to the sky and then a fireball. So the question posed was if there was no conclusive evidence that the center tank exploded per the video of the NTSB hearing, then why were they so quick to dismiss the numerous eye witnesses. These witnesses weren't all uneducated morons ( one was a fighter pilot and another a guard helicopter pilot).

I will concede as fact that a center tank pump running on a dry fuel tank can and has caused an explosion with a couple of 737's. But the witnesses were pretty seriously convinced they saw a missile. I was swayed neither direction by the documentary but I didn't see any crackpot theories.

You want crackpot theories... watch " Loose Change " or any Obama State Dept. employees on Benghazi. Now that's some crackpot theories.

A SAM kills with a huge shotgun blast of shrapnel, what's left of the target looks like swiss cheese.

No shrapnel holes in TWA 800.

Actually, that's where quite a bit of the conspiracy comes from. There were skin fragments that exhibited this type of damage. The penetration showed entry, external to the aircraft. Somehow, several of these pieces went "missing".

Because that's what they always do whenever there is a possibility that terrorism or a criminal act was involved. As soon as it was determined that such acts weren't involved, the investigation was handed back over to the NTSB. That's exactly how the system has always been setup.

When there is a question of terrorism, the FBI gets involved, not the CIA. To my knowledge, this it the first time the CIA became involved in a US civilian airliner crash. The second was 9/11.

PCL, you need to read the James Sanders book. 200 pages of photo and eyewitness evidence to a coverup. He served time because he failed to name his sources! They never found two pieces of the wreckage. One on the bottom of the fuselage, one on the top. The missile entered the bottom of the fuel tank, ignited it, and exited the top. So yes, it was a fuel tank explosion.

Why are you so invested in calling this a crackpot theory, and why are you childishly sticking your fingers in your ears saying you won't even listen to it. Is this some crackpot ALPA agenda?

We had a Captain here that witnessed it in flight. Reported seeing a streak heading towards the aircraft. The FBI met him at his hotel late that night. He retired last year but was always willing to talk about it.

I watched the documentary the other day. It had me thinking until they presented their theory it was three different missiles. At that point it is too much coordination for it to be an accidental navy firing or terrorist act. One missile from the land and two from the sea. Not likely in my mind.

As already mentioned, no US serviceman/woman would be able to keep this tight lid forever. These days people are leaking NSA spy stuff because they think it is wrong (and it is wrong) against the American public. Shooting down an airliner by mistake would never be hidden this well for this long. Someone somewhere would not be able to sleep at night and go public. As for the terrorist angle, the whole point of a terror attack involves the people being attacked know that it was terrorism. Otherwise there is no point if they don't get recognition for the attack as a terrorist attack. The point of a terror attack is to strike fear in the hearts of the civilian population. Any terrorist group that could have shot down an airliner would have gone public with their proof/claims. There were none because this wasn't a terrorism incident.

Sorry but this is one case where the NTSB got it right. It just doesn't go over well with many pilots. Just as there are still pilots today who think that AA 587 was Airbus's fault, and not AA's F4 Phanthom jet training for airliners and a FO who was far too aggressive on the rudder.

Flyer1015 finally got something right!

What was interesting to me is why were debris field tags changed to make some pieces appear to support the center tank explosion theory? Why were a few pieces that were run by the egis explosion detection system declared as false when the machine is found to be extremely accurate? Lots of fishy stories like this.

These are things I ponder about this incident.

Latest theory I've heard was that a single, pristine bullet ricocheted into a time warp or worm hole, off the limo and was shot from the grassy knoll.

Latest resources

Back