• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Turboprop vs. Jet below 10,000'

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Like it or not, this is the reality of today. The airlines have convinced (or bribed) FAA management into giving their flights priority whether they need it or not. Don't blame ATC controllers for this, they're just following orders.

If this is true I don't see it. Our supervisors just tell us to keep the planes moving. We don't care if your a 747-400 or a Kingair, you get in line with everyone else, go when its your turn. The only time planes get to cut in line with us is when we can only launch a certain amount of planes to a given fix or number of fixes. If we have 2 East tracks running with 4 east fixes and we are given a 7 mile restriction, We will launch the 1st plane in line to its East fix, the 2nd plane in line is the 2nd track going to another east fix, etc..... We have to split you all up for Departure so they can split you up for enroute. Not exactly what the thread is implying but like usual, even though Im a pilot, I don't know whats going on in that cockpit, and you don't know whats going on up stairs. There are no vendetas. SWA doesn't get priority.....well not at my airport, we don't work them MDW does. I can assure you, our job is seperating airplanes, not making friends. I haven't seen an airline deliever a pizza yet..... :)

I haven't seen an airline deliever a pizza yet..... :)

Haha true true. (I also dont work SWA...im at the other Houston airport...and no not Hooks!)

Basically, I cant say for what my collegues do, but what I do is try to get the most amount of airplanes out in any given time, as safely as possible. I'll delay a KingAir 3 spots in the line so I can get some aircraft (possibly an airliner, maybe a Cessna 172) out quicker and in general make everything run smoothly. Not only do we ensure safe and orderly flows of traffic, but it has to be efficient!

ATCT

ATCT, not trying to flame you but some airlines actually have SOP's that they are required to follow, that's where not being an experienced pilot comes into play. It doesn't have anything to do with pilot experience or ability.

I understand this, but it comes down to a point as a controller I gotta take into account that certain airlines (not the pilots) make them do certain things. I will move that aircraft/airline/operator/individual so that they do not slow down my operation. If that means to the end of the line, so be it. I do not mean any offence to any of their pilots, but some SOP's should be changed. (Taxiing Slow, not using brakes-reverse thrust, etc. are some examples).

ATCT

You must not have been in MEM

So I'm doing 250 inbound to the field when Southwest checks on. I can see on TCAS that he's further from the field than we are, and I KNOW he's limited to 250, just like all the rest of God's creatures below 10k. Both of us are headed direct to the field when ATC gives us, the turboprop, a 45 degree deviation to follow the jet.

It happens EVERY TIME, even if they're 5 or 10 miles behind us! We have these wicked speed brakes called "propellers", landing gear, and flaps. Heck, we can even slip it if we gotta. We routinely do 250 to the marker and only JUST hit our Vapp at 500' just as our FLOP calls for in a VFR stabilized approach. But when we're given the headings to follow the traffic, we end up having to hit the breaks and slow to 130kts on base to avoid getting a tour of the rest of the state.

What gives? This is starting to rub me raw.

Shy

Wing tip to wing tip (at different gates)inbound to MEM with APP Cntrl. The controler gives us 250 to the marker and when he checks on the FedEx MD11 a vector for 'faster traffic'. The purple pilots whines so the controller tells him 'OK you are now number one for the final fix, you are cleared direct and maintain 250 knots to the 5 mile final'. The purple pilot whines some more about you can't slow a heavy down in that distance and he will slow on the ten mile final. The controller comes back "Ok like I said the first time - turn right, this time 90 degrees to follow faster traffic cause the Saab is going to do 250 to the four mile final and make the first turn off." The next purple voice was a different pilot.

Last edited:
I'll delay a KingAir 3 spots in the line so I can get some aircraft (possibly an airliner, maybe a Cessna 172) out quicker and in general make everything run smoothly. ATCT

And I imagine this is the mindset of most controller's today who are working busy airports or TRACONS with a good-sized mix of airline, corporate jets and T-Props, and little GA airplanes. And you confirm my original point: Although somewhere in the bowels of the FAA's original ATC mandates/philosophy is (or at least, was, once upon a time) the concept of "First Come, First Served", that concept is being ignored more and more every day, generally in favor of the airlines, and to the detriment of everyone else. So what we end up with, in actuality, is .......... Move the Big Iron and we'll get to everyone else "next", when we can.

Where do you work, ATCT? If all it takes is a pizza to get you to show a little "First Come, First Served Fairness", I'll bring you one next time I fly through your area. You want pepperoni and sausage, or are you more a veggie pizza kind of guy?

And I imagine this is the mindset of most controller's today who are working busy airports or TRACONS with a good-sized mix of airline, corporate jets and T-Props, and little GA airplanes. And you confirm my original point: Although somewhere in the bowels of the FAA's original ATC mandates/philosophy is (or at least, was, once upon a time) the concept of "First Come, First Served", that concept is being ignored more and more every day, generally in favor of the airlines, and to the detriment of everyone else. So what we end up with, in actuality, is .......... Move the Big Iron and we'll get to everyone else "next", when we can.

Where do you work, ATCT? If all it takes is a pizza to get you to show a little "First Come, First Served Fairness", I'll bring you one next time I fly through your area. You want pepperoni and sausage, or are you more a veggie pizza kind of guy?

The whole time I, and my father before me, have been controllers, we have been about the Safe, Orderly, and Expeditious (they use the word efficient now instead) flow of air traffic. First Come, First Serve is a general guideline we use when dealing with aircraft. We use this when having to deal with aircraft on the runway, in the air, and on the ground. I deal with aircraft at my runways first, IFR aircraft requesting service next, then VFR aircraft. I do not believe you will find that I said Beech, Boeing, Cessna, Airbus, or Piper. I, and other controllers, take into effect direction of flight, aircraft characteristics, departure-arrival procedures, VFR-IFR, weather conditions... next in our job to get you out as fast as possible. The conditions are endless. I bet people make mistakes at times, but let me know of one pilot or controller who hasnt. Im sorry that you lack experience in these matters of what goes in in the NAS, ATO, and at large airports. Go sit a sector on a busy final position, final monitor, local control, or flight data during re-routes. You will learn alot, like we used to by riding jumpseats. We cant do that anymore, but ya'll can still come visit facilities. Give the local facility manager a call, and there is a good chance that with advance notice, you can visit a busy facility (preferably something in the top 10 busiests) and watch the controllers and pilots at work. You'll learn alot.

Keep the blue side up and green between.

ATCT

(When you're in town next, we'll go for a plane ride...and split a pizza. Personally, Pizza Hut thin with Chicken is the best)

Im sorry that you lack experience in these matters of what goes in in the NAS, ATO, and at large airports. Go sit a sector on a busy final position, final monitor, local control, or flight data during re-routes........ You'll learn alot.

Been there, done that, numerous times in my 35+ years of flying all over the USA (including stops at a few reasonable sized airports like JFK, LGA, BOS, DFW, LAX, SFO, etc etc etc). But, hey, what do I know, when the biggest thing I've ever flown is a King Air 350. I dunno, maybe I'm gettin too old, I remember the old PATCO controllers, and they seemed to always be helpful to everyone, and never had an "attitude" like a lot of the controllers today. ATCT, I think a good number of your peers forget that ATC is a support function for PILOTS and AIRCRAFT; it is ATC's job to make OUR aviation "life" easier, more efficient, and safe, not the other way around.

I'm not sure where people on here get the opinion that ATCs favor the Airlines. Believe it or not, the UNOFFICIAL opinion is in favor of GA guys and to screw the airlines (ie Continental) since they're often responsible for most of the delays and volume issues. Why are there routine delays, everyday, to Newark and the New York metro? That's because Continental schedules all their flights to arrive at the same time, and they seem to hold EVERYDAY.

Also, regarding Southwest. It seems like the Southwest guys have a reputation for climbing expeditiously, turning on time, being responsive on the radios, etc, so I'd assume that might instill some confidence in the controllers to count on them. All too often it seems to be the regional drivers that get confused on a clearance, have to be called 4 times for a freq change, don't use their call-sign in their readbacks, etc. Too many kids in the regionals that are fresh out of a 172 and with 12 hrs in a Seminole doing Vmc Demos in the practice area and engie out (errr, idle!) ILSs in VFR. :p

Ahh the PATCO card., I fully understand where you are coming from now. You are a cranky, disgruntled pilot. Im sorry that I tried to explain the system to you. I see now that it was a useless waste of my time. Ohh, and have a great flight!

ATCT

As an owner-operator, I pay nearly 75 cents per gallon in taxes to pay for your pony-tail-toting ego!

Buy your own damn pizza and brownies and leave my a$$ alone and first in line where I belong. I am going to have my passengers and their bags in their rental cars and sipping coffee before anyone else turns their 10 mile final because some lame-a$$ pax wouldnt come out of the lav in time.

affectionately,

100-1/2

Latest resources

Back