• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Turboprop vs. Jet below 10,000'

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Happens at DFW between AA and Eagle. Never fails.... we'll be the first Md80 approaching the hold short line, with an Eagle jet behind us on a different taxi lane, and they always launch the Eagles first. Even if they're behind us. What gives?

(Not complaining - paid by the minute. Just curious.)

Never fails.... we'll be the first Md80 approaching the hold short line, with an Eagle jet behind us on a different taxi lane, and they always launch the Eagles first. Even if they're behind us. What gives?

Because they need some departure spacing, and they know Eagle will drive like a Florida grandmother getting to the runway. :D

Because they need some departure spacing, and they know Eagle will drive like a Florida grandmother getting to the runway. :D

If you mean drive slow, that's our specialty, man! Especially during contract time. Eagle usually hauls a$$ a la Southwest. However, I agree with the departure spacing... those EMBs climb pretty slow.

So we were going into PWM in a Dork and approach give us this rediculous vector to put a ERJ that is 10 miles behind us, in front of us. So here we are on a 35 mile final letting it run at 250 all so the faster jet can go first. Soon were hear "Jetlink, can you pick it up. The slower prop traffic I put behind you is doing at least 100 kts faster than you." We laughed all the way to the numbers.

I have to say that I have been flying since 1980, flown for a 121 airline for 9 years and am now at NetJets flying the fast Citation X. I have never had any trouble with any controllers in any airspace. I have to say the system is very good and I play by a simple rule and always have. I listen carefully and I always do what I am told..(have not yet had to declare an emergency). I have never had any trouble and although we have been vectored around and slowed..I assume a bigger picture is in play and it all works out in the end. I end up at the airport..:) I do think it is cool when we get asked to stay fast to get in first..thanks! But, I am there to help make the system as smooth as it can be and to help other fellow pilots. We shold be one big team, (ATC and pilots). I flew out of ORD for 7 years with Atlantic Coast Airlines and those controllers were incredible! ON top of that they were very friendly! Wish I did send them pizza but, they would never have time to eat it..:)

Anyway, I know it can be frustrating for some pilots and it can be equally frustrating for controllers. We both get busy and both have strange SOP's. I say make it fun...listen well, communicate even better, and always help each other out!

Thanks to all the great controllers! Your great record of safety speaks for itself!

I have noted on MANY occasions that SWA seems to get preferential treatment. Noted at many different airports, freqs, facilities, and from the cockpits of many different airlines and aircraft. There has to be more to this story... IMHO

Latest resources

Back