• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NetJets Averts Pilot Layoffs and Furloughs

By: Chad Trautvetter
July 2, 2009
People, Fractional

A voluntary furlough-mitigation program collaboratively formed in April by NetJets and its pilot union, the NetJets Association of Shared Aircraft Pilots (NJASAP), has averted layoffs and furloughs. “Through innovative and purely voluntary measures, NetJets has been able to align our pilot and other areas of our workforce to match our current owner demand levels,” NetJets chairman and CEO Richard Santulli told AIN.

“The voluntary measure process succeeded because of strong employee participation and significant collaboration with [NJASAP]. Because of the success of voluntary measures, we are not planning at this time to right-size our workforce through layoffs or furloughs.

Under the program, union members could choose an early-out option or short- or long-term leaves of absence. Among other solutions offered were voluntary reduced scheduling and a temporary construct allowing crewmembers to receive time off in lieu of pay.

According to NJASAP, 165 pilots took the early-out option, which provides them with full benefits and two thirds of their seven-and-seven schedule pay over the next 36 months. About 2,200 of the 2,934 NetJets pilots are participating in the time-off-in-lieu-of-pay plan, 600 opted for voluntary reduced scheduling and 73 chose leaves of absence.

Well that makes sense, when you use the correct terminology, 165 early outs is not the same as 165 opt outs, the numbers you're showing indicate
2934 - 2200 = 734 opt outs

Anyway those numbers are not the same as the numbers I was emailed from the company, first off we have a lot more than 2900 pilots.

Last edited:
Well that makes sense, when you use the correct terminology, 165 early outs is not the same as 165 opt outs, the numbers you're showing indicate
2934 - 2200 = 734 opt outs

Anyway those numbers are not the same as the numbers I was emailed from the company, first off we have a lot more than 2900 pilots.

Second off the numbers are confidential.

NJW, what happened at NJ is an industry disaster, not a NJ victory.

YOUR union set the expectations so high by that CBA that the ramifications of this incredible failure in judgment by union leadership will be felt for years, if not forever within the industry.

NJ has paid through the nose in an attempt to recover from this, and concept of the original business model within the rest of the industry is being destroyed from within by it. You stand there and are proud of what your union has done and the standard it has set. Your greed and lack of empathy for those that are laid off or have interupted their careers as a result knows no boundaries to the pain it has caused.

Why didn't the company use their rights per the CBA and just furlough the 700 pilots they we're in excess of? Tha woulda been the cheap,easy way to handle the unions ability to crash the economy.....

Don't bother with an answer cause I know you don't have one.

So your interview didn't go the way you wanted it to?

Waco

BSkanza posted:

and concept of the original business model
You mean that model of efficiency and $29k payroll! Yeah we ruined it for you all right.

Thank God...

Hog, aren't you rounding the FO pay upwards? I recall my husband making 28K prior to the 2005 CBA. The memory of how stressful it was for FO families is still sickening... :puke:And they were just the poorest of the poor...:mad:

Yes, Thank God that mess was fixed! Correcting it ushered in a new way of doing business at NJA where striving for fairness and mutual respect are now the norm, not the exception.

When I began posting here in 2004 I often made the point that if you act like a doormat you'll get walked on. It's when you stand up for yourself and what is right/fair that you earn respect. It's now 5 years later with: 2 improved contracts; 1108 Flt Ops pilots at the bargaining table; formation of the in-house NJASAP; NJA/I integration in the works; and (so far) a successful furlough mitigation effort--because the NJA pilots stood up for themselves, their families, each other, and their industry peers. Surely, the rest of the frac pilots can see that this is the path to take? If you begin organizing now you could be in negotiations when the economy recovers. Please seriously consider it for yourselves, your families, your fellow pilots, and the industry. The longer you delay the further you fall behind. Sincerely, NJW

PS If your current management (who knows what the future will bring?) is consistently fair and treats you right they will also realize that contracts are commonplace and they shouldn't balk at spelling everything out and making it legal. Actually, agreed upon rules makes it easier for everyone, but if they don't respect you and would resist, then you have little to lose and much to gain.

Last edited:
AvroJockey - yes I have spent countless hours, and in most cases I would say it is useless. But, there are not many places for one to learn the "ins and outs" of the aviation business (not how to fly) and the operations side of frax, so the rare nuggets I have gotten have been worth the time. Plus, it is entertaining at times! Some of what I have learned has been informative (and believe it or not, actually found out to be true -- amazing!!!), and I feel has been important in making my aviation decisions. Furthermore, if what I have to say helps even one of you better understand the frax business, my time is also well spent.

Now on a more direct note -- I was against my Jets signing BF, began to eat my words in mid-season, but he destroyed the "team" and did more harm than good. Sorry to say negative things about one of yours. Atleast Joe Willie played out his final seasons with flair and class.

Fly safe.

Yes, BF should've stayed in Kiln, MS. He would've went out on top, but now I'm hoping he comes back an ruins the Viking's season.:)

You may have misinterpreted my post...or I may be misinterpreting yours, but I ment I've spent too much time trolling this board. In the past I've stepped back from my laptop and said, "That was a complete waste of my time!"

I think its great you take the time to learn where your $$$ goes. That means you'll be an NJ owner for a long time.

Interesting--there are a lot of bruised arms on here from patting themselves on the back. NJI stepped up--the union did not! Look at the percentages, they don't lie. Please don't give me the garbage line about the older demographics at NJI. It isn't true enough to justify those percentage differences. Also, if you think furloughs aren't coming you better hope the random drug test doesn't get you. Watch around the first of the year and see. Netjets is bleeding out at nearly 2 mil a day and the union will not make any concessions. By the way, only 2 entities aren't in the red--NJI and EJM, both non-union, coincidence?. You are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

Latest resources

Back