• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Today's Update from NJA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Interesting--there are a lot of bruised arms on here from patting themselves on the back. NJI stepped up--the union did not! Look at the percentages, they don't lie. Please don't give me the garbage line about the older demographics at NJI. It isn't true enough to justify those percentage differences. Also, if you think furloughs aren't coming you better hope the random drug test doesn't get you. Watch around the first of the year and see. Netjets is bleeding out at nearly 2 mil a day and the union will not make any concessions. By the way, only 2 entities aren't in the red--NJI and EJM, both non-union, coincidence?. You are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

B19, is that yewwwwwwwww? :)

Interesting--there are a lot of bruised arms on here from patting themselves on the back. NJI stepped up--the union did not! Look at the percentages, they don't lie.

You can only be looking at 1 particular Voluntary Measure to come to such a conclusion. Overall participation rates (in any VM) on the NJA/NJLA side are north of 75%. Yes, NJI had a higher rate of early outs overall, but comparing demographic groups to one another, participation in early outs were similar. Don't hurt your arm...

You can only be looking at 1 particular Voluntary Measure to come to such a conclusion. Overall participation rates (in any VM) on the NJA/NJLA side are north of 75%. Yes, NJI had a higher rate of early outs overall, but comparing demographic groups to one another, participation in early outs were similar. Don't hurt your arm...

How can you compare giving up a day or two to giving up a job? That is the only way you can justify the percentages you quoted. I noticed that none of the replies addressed the union vs non-union bleedout. Those are facts -- argue with those!

How can you compare giving up a day or two to giving up a job? That is the only way you can justify the percentages you quoted. I noticed that none of the replies addressed the union vs non-union bleedout. Those are facts -- argue with those!

oh dear here we go again....another poor management theif that I have to "re-educate"

give it up......we won you lost.

dont be such a sore loser, you'll still get your illegal golden parachute.

your apology is accepted though.

netjetwife said:
I recall my husband making 28K prior to the 2005 CBA. The memory of how stressful it was for FO families is still sickening... :puke:And they were just the poorest of the poor...:mad:

Uh... two things:

1. I was a professional Airline pilot working at Midway... After 9/11 I went unemployed for 4 months, then went to work for Comair making less than 19k/year. I drove a truck to makes ends meet and slept in a crash pad with 12 other guys...

2. You need to live in the present and forget the past. No one cares what your husband made, and no cares I drove a truck.

harley, not sure what you're getting at? What does union vs. non-union shop have to do with this? If you want to compare, fine. If you look back at our history, you'd see that NJI has ALWAYS paid their pilots WAY more than the NJA side. It's only been the last few years where we've closed the gap (and overall, NJI still makes more).

As for what NJA was making/losing over the years vs. what NJI was making/losing over the years, the interpretation is suspect. During the time leading up to our '05 contract, NJA claimed to be losing money. The books sort of confirmed that. Problem was, when you looked at the books from a different angle, we were actually doing very well for quite a number of years. You see, NJA, NJI, and NJE aren't really separate entities. Only on paper. What was really happening was that NJA was making lots of money. At the same time, they were ramping up operations in Europe. As a start-up operation, NJE hadn't reached the point of being able to make a profit on its own. So the bigwigs at NJ, Inc. shifted our profits to being reinvested into the Europe operation to keep it expanding. When the books were shown to us, all we saw was that NJ, Inc (all the Netjets companies under one umbrella) were losing money. But again, only because Europe's losses were greater than the profits made by NJA. Of course, there was quite a bit of money-shifting going on elsewhere too. As one example, our HPN operation is operated by EJM (another company under the NJ, Inc. umbrella). Every time we passed thru there and needed oil, it was $90 a quart!! Pretty pricey for oil, don't ya think? And we were also charging ourselves some exhorbitant rates for lav services and the like. I paid for this stuff with the multi-service, so I personally saw the prices on this stuff that we were essentially charging ourselves.

Anyway, it got pretty complicated, but long story short, NJA has been making money for a long time.

And interestingly, after we signed our 2005 contract, we started making RECORD PROFITS! They sure weren't shy about showing off after the contract was signed! Hmmmmm........we supposedly went from years of losses to record profits in only a matter of months after the contract was signed? Methinks we were probably making plenty of money prior to the contract, just hiding it very well. Never heard of a turn-around that fast or that extreme after a contract was signed that gave massive compensation increases to a work force like we got.

So, NJA has historically made money, same as NJI. Not sure how you figure a union vs. non-union has altered that.

Now along comes a massive economic disaster. Yeah, NJA is losing money. Uh, so is NJI, genius. So is NJE. Union AND non-union are losing money. Kinda wondering how you figure the union shop is any worse off than the non-union shop here. You know, the company COULD cut pay and benefits right now at NJI. They are, as you like to point out, currently a non-union shop. Nothing to stop em. But they aren't.

My guess as to why? It's not the salary and benefits of the employees that are hurting things. It's the economy.

Anyway, I hope that addresses your non-union vs. union shop bleedout question. They're both suffering. And both "shops" have stepped up to try to help. Remember, the company hasn't come to EITHER side (or NJE, or EJM) and asked anyone for concessions on anything yet. And as I already mentioned, if they wanted to, they could EASILY take away from the non-union shops.

So why is it that you think the union side of things is giving them any heartache?

You, like B19, don't like unions. I get it. But without the whole history, as well as having actually LIVED THRU ALL OF IT, how can you be so quick to declare the union as the root of all problems here?

I'm sure you'll reply with some anti-union rant that isn't even close to being based in facts about our specific union and relationship with the company. Ah well, some folks just like to stir the pot. This will be my only reply, as my experience with the likes of B19 and Skanza (and perhaps yourself now) is that you only see what you choose to see, and based on some hard-wired hate of unions, no matter what good we may do as a union at NJA, you will simply refuse to ever acknowledge it. Good luck with that.

Interesting--there are a lot of bruised arms on here from patting themselves on the back. Excuse me?! I've given credit to all involved--both pilotgroups, management and the other employees. I've read numerous posts doing likewise. NJI stepped up--the union did not! Actually, the majority of the concepts used originated w/NJASAP and they were the ones who reached out (as far back as late last year) to NJ warning of the need for a plan. Look at the percentages, they don't lie. Please don't give me the garbage line about the older demographics at NJI. I don't spout garbage; I use facts and concur with those posted. It isn't true enough to justify those percentage differences. One logically could expect more NJI pilots to be ready for retirement sooner than lesser-paid peers so the similar rate is a good reflection on NJA pilots and their spouses. Also, if you think furloughs aren't coming you better hope the random drug test doesn't get you. Speaking of...:erm: Watch around the first of the year and see. Netjets is bleeding out at nearly 2 mil a day Union folks realize that we're not out of the furlough woods yet, especially those at risk. Your strident tone is not helpful and your discussion of their finances is disrespectful to NJ--truth or rumor. More likely the latter. and the union will not make any concessions. RTS asked for the help he needed in letters to the NJA pilots. The majority, by a wide margin, are stepping up by voluntarily reducing their schedules and taking extra time off in lieu of OT, holiday pay, etc. Indeed, that spirit of cooperation was used by RTS to promote NJ in his media interview. By the way, only 2 entities aren't in the red--NJI and EJM, ... My source, whose opinion can be trusted, doesn't agree with you and pointed out that some of NJI expenses are picked up by NJS (NetJets Support) thereby masking the true situation. You are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Are you saying that NJA pilots should not be paid a fair salary? A timely reminder is in order: The "A" side was established first and the Company was built on the backs of the NJA pilots and their families who made it possible for the NJI pilots to benefit from the NJ success.

This attitude is rather hypocritical considering that the NJI pilots have been paid much more for far longer. I noted w/interest the post telling us that NJI pilots were now riding coach/economy class to save money, so where were you riding previously? At what cost? The A pilots have always ridden cattle-car style. There is also the long ignored matter of extra costs due to redundant ops centers. As well as the fact that pilots aren't in charge of hiring and have no control over the economy...:rolleyes: The previously under-paid NJA pilots have saved the Company millions and millions already. So much in fact, that they deserve huge kudos for putting that aside and answering the call for help. They have paid it forward many times over and it is actually Management that is in need of your lecture. Some there are having a hard time changing their high-spending ways. :mad: That, naturally, is upsetting to many NJA pilots since our group has had to live longer than others at NJ on a bare-bones budget (I'm talking qualifying for govt assistance bad!)...while waiting for the IOUs to be paid.

I find your post to be very out of step with the current friendliness between the 2 NJ pilotgroups. Some here may say that I shouldn't have spoken up, but I found it too patently unfair to ignore. I'm a firm believer in giving credit where it's due and you were outright cheating the NJA pilots and their families who have all sacrificed a lot for the good of NJ. Setting the record straight, NJW

Last edited:
I noted w/interest the post telling us that NJI pilots were now riding coach/economy class to save money, so where were you riding previously? At what cost? The A pilots have always ridden cattle-car style.

Just to set the record straight, the business class or better airline seats have only EVER been for international itineraries....like the 14:45 I did to Hong Kong last year. The reasoning has always been to try and diminish the cumulative fatigue problem (and it is substantial, try it sometime) when you airline half way around the world and you have to fly a trip half way back around the world less than 24 hours later. We have ALWAYS ridden steerage class domestically. Our crews have been asked to accept coach seats on shorter international airlines (EGGW-EWR for example: ONLY a 7 HOUR flight). Total savings since May now approaching 1 million.

Since we're setting the record straight.

Latest resources

Back