Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To the Skywest Crew with "Severe Icing" in DEN today...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the ice in DEN was as bad as these other posters act like it was - yes. But it wasn't.

Guess these planes were filled with other "chickens" as well. BTW, unless Skywest started flying Airbuses or MD10's, I think it was another PIREP that slowed you down.

Guess those pesky legacy carrier pilots are idiots as well. Pity all pilots aren't as smart as you.

They should probably update their flying knowledge from books written about flying during the what, 1950's? BTW, I think you missed the whole point of "Fate is the Hunter."

:rolleyes:

------------------------------------------------------------

PIREPS DEN FOR SEVERE ICING LAST 12 HOURS:

(numerous reports of moderate icing not listed, but you can be 100% certain most of those were from pilots who had SEVERE icing but were afraid of delaying their next flight or admitting they just screwed up . . . very stupid, IMHO)

DEN UUA /OV DEN180021/TM 2119/FLUNKN/TP A346/TA M07/IC SEV RIME 080-100

UUA /OV DEN180020/TM 2310/FL090/TP MD10/TA UNK/IC MOD-SEV RIME090-070/RM COR FAP 35R

------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Exactly what you said, artificial feel masks a lot of things.
Cardinal, you need to walk away.

Nothing like doing a postlfight and almost getting whacked in the head by Ice falling from the tail. I still wonder how much the artificial feel in the CRJ masks the ices effects on aerodynamics.

Cardinal:

There is a well known and respected training CA at SKW who lost all control of a CRJ on an ILS in South Dakota due to severe airframe icing which occured with no warning...

The thing rolled off the LOC and dove for the dirt...the CA realizing he had almost no controll decided that it wouldn't hurt any more to hit the ground faster, so he fire-walled it. Fortunately he picked up enough airspeed at the last second to get some aerodynamic control and plant the thing on the runway. This guy basically KNEW he was dead and had to make the decision that more speed couldn't hurt and might help. How would you like to be in THAT situation?

Everybody at SKW knows this story, so they operate as though the monster in the closet is real, cuz we know it is...

Cardinal:

There is a well known and respected training CA at SKW who lost all control of a CRJ on an ILS in South Dakota due to severe airframe icing which occured with no warning...

Finally, an enlightening, explanatory post. This tale frames the situation and reduces my level of ignorance - much more helpful than being reminded that I'm a moron (I already knew that). Thank you rickair.

I apologize to the crew for criticizing them in a difficult situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back