Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To the Skywest Crew with "Severe Icing" in DEN today...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardinal

Of The Kremlin
OPEC thanks you. Your fearless leadership in reporting severe icing on the 34R approach cut arrival capacity by 1/3 and sent multiple aircraft into holding, further increasing our dependence on arab oil.

Nevermind the dozen aircraft ahead of you that reported light to moderate, and the dozen aircraft on the other runways (one mile east!) that continued to report light to moderate, nor the departures off every other runway that reported light to moderate.

It must be dreadful managing such ice with only a hot leading edge, slats, and a solid thrust/weight ratio. How do you ever manage?

AIM said:
Severe Icing: The rate of ice accumulation on an aircraft is such that de-icing/anti-icing equipment fails to reduce or control the hazard

Having been airborne at your altitude and within 5 miles of your location I find it extremely hard to believe that your circumstances rose to this level of desperation. Nevermind that some of your coworkers and I fly an aircraft that on multiple occasions has departed controlled flight due to ice accretion. Strangely, the Canadian Rennaissance Jet couldn't handle it anymore. Maxed out. But you were all over the situation, protecting hundreds of passengers and dozens of veteran airline crews from themselves. If only we could attain your level of discretion.

May we recall Ernest K. Gann's logbook entry after truly severe ice forced him well below the mountain tops of Appalachia, dealing with carburetors that were icing over, intentionally backfiring the engines to keep them clear, low pressure, long cycle boots, and a modestly powered DC-3:
"ICE !!"

Hey, the Capt of that flight called...He wanted to know if you want to fly his airplane for him...:smash:

OPEC thanks you. Your fearless leadership in reporting severe icing on the 34R approach cut arrival capacity by 1/3 and sent multiple aircraft into holding, further increasing our dependence on arab oil.

Nevermind the dozen aircraft ahead of you that reported light to moderate, and the dozen aircraft on the other runways (one mile east!) that continued to report light to moderate, nor the departures off every other runway that reported light to moderate.

It must be dreadful managing such ice with only a hot leading edge, slats, and a solid thrust/weight ratio. How do you ever manage?

Having been airborne at your altitude and within 5 miles of your location I find it extremely hard to believe that your circumstances rose to this level of desperation. Nevermind that some of your coworkers and I fly an aircraft that on multiple occasions has departed controlled flight due to ice accretion. Strangely, the Canadian Rennaissance Jet couldn't handle it anymore. Maxed out. But you were all over the situation, protecting hundreds of passengers and dozens of veteran airline crews from themselves. If only we could attain your level of discretion.

May we recall Ernest K. Gann's logbook entry after truly severe ice forced him well below the mountain tops of Appalachia, dealing with carburetors that were icing over, intentionally backfiring the engines to keep them clear, low pressure, long cycle boots, and a modestly powered DC-3:
"ICE !!"

You should work in Management.

I had something similar to what probably happend to this guy in DENVER once. the plane felt like mush on landing, and we didn't know how much ice was on the airplane until the pax were getting off and sheets of 3" thick ice were falling off the airplane. it looked like a Krispy Kreme doughnut.

what I'm getting at is....shut the ******************** up and let the guy report what he saw. I'm guessing the guy ahead of the SWA guy in Midway reported braking action good too.

ASS...

Mookie

"ICE !!"

WAAAAAAAAH!

What do you care? You didn't pay for the gas?

it looked like a Krispy Kreme doughnut.

what I'm getting at is....shut the ******************** up and let the guy report what he saw. I'm guessing the guy ahead of the SWA guy in Midway reported braking action good too.

ASS...

Mookie

:smash: Get em! Get em! get em!

YOU SIR ARE A MORON.

Until you've BEEN in severe icing in a jet aircraft, you don't really appreciate it (but you probably should)

Nothing like doing a post-flight and seeing ice on the spinners . . . of a jet engine. Kinda makes you want to throw up.

I would also point out that your gut reaction to dealing with severe icing in a CRJ (i.e., fly faster than normal) would most likely kill you . . . this is usually how unrecoverable tail stalls happen.

How's about you STFU and start doing some research about flying airplanes? Start by reading about the devastating effects that even minor contamination has on lift generation of a "super critical wing".

Last edited:
I would also point out that your gut reaction to dealing with severe icing in a CRJ (i.e., fly faster than normal) would most likely kill you . . . this is usually how unrecoverable tail stalls happen.

What are you talking about? The Hoser engineers PROMISE us that the tail is "immune" to icing in the CRJ. :rolleyes: (very TIC).

A "hazard not controlled" sounds like an emergency - more than just a pirep. That's my point. Either you're in a tight spot or you're not. Don't cry wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back