Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To the Skywest Crew with "Severe Icing" in DEN today...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
OPEC thanks you. Your fearless leadership in reporting severe icing on the 34R approach cut arrival capacity by 1/3 and sent multiple aircraft into holding, further increasing our dependence on arab oil.

Nevermind the dozen aircraft ahead of you that reported light to moderate, and the dozen aircraft on the other runways (one mile east!) that continued to report light to moderate, nor the departures off every other runway that reported light to moderate.

It must be dreadful managing such ice with only a hot leading edge, slats, and a solid thrust/weight ratio. How do you ever manage?

Having been airborne at your altitude and within 5 miles of your location I find it extremely hard to believe that your circumstances rose to this level of desperation. Nevermind that some of your coworkers and I fly an aircraft that on multiple occasions has departed controlled flight due to ice accretion. Strangely, the Canadian Rennaissance Jet couldn't handle it anymore. Maxed out. But you were all over the situation, protecting hundreds of passengers and dozens of veteran airline crews from themselves. If only we could attain your level of discretion.

May we recall Ernest K. Gann's logbook entry after truly severe ice forced him well below the mountain tops of Appalachia, dealing with carburetors that were icing over, intentionally backfiring the engines to keep them clear, low pressure, long cycle boots, and a modestly powered DC-3:
"ICE !!"

Gosh I hope my family never rides on one of your flights. Your 'complete the mission at all costs' attitude is distrubing to say the least.

Two sides to every story...

I do know that many crews report turbulence that just doesn't seem to fit. I look over at the guys I am flying with as he reports moderate to severe turbulence.....

"what are you smokin?"

Cardinal your a tool. Your a report waiting to happen. I feel bad for you and your passengers

A "hazard not controlled" sounds like an emergency - more than just a pirep. That's my point. Either you're in a tight spot or you're not. Don't cry wolf.

So.......we should declare an emergency instead of reporting severe ice?

Gosh I hope my family never rides on one of your flights. Your 'complete the mission at all costs' attitude is distrubing to say the least.

If one of these 'costs' is an ex-CFI's pride as he inaccurately reports something he has no experience with...yes, that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Dude chill out! So arrivals went to hell for awhile. Big deal! Hate to tell you this but the reason we are paid at all is to MAKE THESE KIND OF DECISIONS!!! Maybe he overreacted and maybe he didn't, you werent in his airplane and didnt see what he saw/felt. He acted in the INTEREST OF SAFETY enough that not only was he concerned about his own flight, he also felt it prudent to tell others what he thought was a potentially dangerous situation.

I'm not sure if your aware of this but air currents tend to move. Thats why they are called air CURRENTS. What is light ice here could be severe ice not a mile away.

Grow up and try to think in the interest of safety as a pilot should and not as a manager and worry about how long your holding or having to divert. Thats what we are paid to do!

What are you talking about? The Hoser engineers PROMISE us that the tail is "immune" to icing in the CRJ. :rolleyes: (very TIC).

Nothing like doing a postlfight and almost getting whacked in the head by Ice falling from the tail. I still wonder how much the artificial feel in the CRJ masks the ices effects on aerodynamics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back