• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tipping the Van driver....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tipping has gotten out of control. I was in a gas station the other day and there was a tip jar on the counter. For what me pumping my own gas and giving him my money. This country has become a land of entitlement. I fly someone 1000 miles and don't get $hit, yet I should automatically tip the van driver for 1 mile, why, he makes a salary! The family comes first always, if you have the money and the person has performed something you would like to tip for its your choice. No one is wrong or right for tipping. Ty Webb, don't pass judgement on others it's really "LOW CLASS!"

If the van is late (we only stay there everynight of the year) or if the guy or girl is a real a** "No Tip For You". I actually had a driver say Fu__ You when I didn't give him a dollar. He was 45 min late and I had to move my bags. Nice.

Did you ever notice that it seems that crews are the only ones that tip? I rarely see a regular person tip the van driver at all. I give a $1 unless like others said, they are very late or jerks. If they drive me to a restaurant or mall etc, then usually $2 each way.

I almost never tip the van driver, I'll tip the waitress b/c she makes 2 bucks an hour. The van driver does a lot less work and probably makes more in tips, its total B.S , and if you're a new F/O I feel you're even less obligated to tip the driver. The Van driver is an hourly worker and so am I. No soup for you!!!!

This is such an important item it should make the cover of "Who Cares "magazine!!

Vik said:
dont forget inflation

derka derka derka

I believe it's spelled "dirka dirka" with an "i". I haven't laughed so hard at a movie in a long time. That scene with the guy in the back of the jeep making that face had me rolling. Lucious avatar BTW.

I'll usually give the van driver a buck IF we don't have to call after waiting for them more than 5 minutes. I'll call from the plane as the folks are getting off, "yeah, we'll be out front in 10 minutes" (never trust ops to actually call, even when they say they did, because they rarely do in my experience).

I hate waiting for the van, I really hate it when the van pulls up after you've waited 15 minutes and right after another crew happens to stroll out to the curb.

I give $1 each way, unless they don't touch the bags, then they don't get squat. If they give me a ride for food, then i usually give them $5.

turbodriver said:
Kiss my a$$. It's not a lousy "buck" add it up for the year and see how much cash you're thowing away.

Kiss your own ass- you certainly seem to be showing it. I do add up the tips . . . they're deductible, junior.

And those F/A's you talk about? Most of the granny F/A's working here probably have rich husbands who send them to work here so they could get the travel bennies.

The only people I see who don't tip are the ones with a complete lack of class, and it's pretty apparent you fall in that category. I'm sure you're a really classy guy, otherwise.:rolleyes: If you ever get an interview at a decent airline, make sure you tell them how you feel about this subject.

Latest resources

Back