Tipping the Van driver....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ty Webb said:
Your math needs a lot of work. 15 overnights a month, 12 months per year = 180 nights. Even at $2. ea way and a buck for the maid, it's still only about $750./yr, which is tax deductible. Hell, I spend more than that on cigars.

Per diem is to cover expenses while on a trip, such as meals, phone calls, tips, etc. If you choose to not do the customary tipping, that's your choice, but don;t try to justify it. It's just being cheap . . . maybe you view that as a compliment, but I sure don't. To me, the simple act of tipping goes beyond a simple exchange of a buck, it says something about you . . . that money is more important than character. I'm sure you don;t see it that way; how could you?

As for the rest of your story:

I'll bet you didn't. . . . :cool: .

This is one of those subjects, I guess. Over and Out.

My math was wrong, the maid certainly didn't deserve the $4 for cleaning up the toilet as I calculated it.

There is a difference between being cheap and putting money towards other needs.

Your view is short sighted.

I flew with a captain that gave 10% of his income to differing causes he felt needed it. None of this $7,000 per year went to the van driver. Is he cheap?

This whole thread is funny. When was the last time someone slipped you a couple of bucks for not killing them in a thunderstorm.....or a smooth landing. I tip when it's deserved not just for the heck of it. Tipping is an acknowledgement of a job well done....not for just doing the minimum. If your someone who judges another pilot on how he/she tips, I'll bet your a real joy to fly with. If you think everything is that simple you belong back in your skyhawk.

Yeh, really.. Maybe pilots need to hold up a "tip jar" while the pax get off the bird. :)

Tram said:
Yeh, really.. Maybe pilots need to hold up a "tip jar" while the pax get off the bird. :)

with the attached note:

"Ladies and Gentlemen if you value a smoothe flight and a nice landing please tip; however it is not necessary or customary. If you want a back breaker let me hear change hitting the bottom of the Smooth Landing Fund Jar"

Jobear
sarcasms little biaotch

Ahahaha.. :)

FishandFly said:
I flew with a captain that gave 10% of his income to differing causes he felt needed it. None of this $7,000 per year went to the van driver. Is he cheap?

Yeah they're called Mormons.

You guys with your pilot-hat-wearing, Catch-Me-If-You-Can delusions of grandeur that tip to show off (Mr. "I spend more than that in cigars") make me ill. I do not tip van drivers when I am on company business. These are not pleasure trips I'm taking. Unlike the average business traveler (of which I was once one), I am not expensing and being reimbursed for tips.

If the airline wants the hotel van driver to make more money, the airline can pay him directly (or through the contract). It is not my job to supplement his income. When I initiate the travel, (e.g. going out to eat) THEN I tip the driver.

I save as much of my per diem as possible to supplement my own meager FO income in support of my family. Don't even talk to me about tax deductibility. It does me no good, since I don't even make enough to pay any taxes!!

I don't care if tipping the driver to and from the hotel is customary. It's a custom that ought to end. You guys that perpetuate it do a disservice to the rest of us. What is it that separates us from the van driver in terms of deserving tips beside your precious "airline pilot image?" (because it certainly isn't the pay!)

propjockey said:
Don't even talk to me about tax deductibility. It does me no good, since I don't even make enough to pay any taxes!!

You either need a new accountant, or you need to stop working for free, because you most certainly have some tax liability, big guy.

What is it that separates us from the van driver in terms of deserving tips beside your precious "airline pilot image?" (because it certainly isn't the pay!)

Even AirTran flight attendents can afford to tip. . . . . If you can't cough up a buck for the van driver, you need to find a new job.

HOw 'bout this Capt. Tip,

you can tip for all of us from now on, since it's part of your moral upbringing and respectability to tip some guy that makes more than I do at the end of the day. How's that?

ASH said:
How many of you out there are cheap ole' bags,? How many of you tip MORE than a dollar? How many of you will use the ten in your wallet to buy lunch, just so you have that dollar to tip?

Let's weigh in folks, thoughts on tipping the van driver....

I just flew 'em half way 'round the country...didn't get squat!:D

Zero...Thats their job. I dont ever remember getting a tip flying people around the US. Its my job!

Latest resources

Back