Tipping the Van driver....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ASH

How many of you out there are cheap ole' bags,? How many of you tip MORE than a dollar? How many of you will use the ten in your wallet to buy lunch, just so you have that dollar to tip?

Let's weigh in folks, thoughts on tipping the van driver....

I just flew 'em half way 'round the country...didn't get squat!:D

I swear flightinfo is one big circle.

Captain - $1 each way. Possible penalty (read "no tip") if van driver is excessively late, especially on reduced rests.

F/O and F/A - $1 each way. Possible penalty as described above. Additionally, if funds are tight, then tip can be excused at times, but not every trip.

A dollar isn't much any more and is included in per diem anyway.

With my crew everyone tips regardless, and I treat the crew to donuts, frosties, cinnabons,etc on the last day.

My favorite pieve is when a captain generously gives the driver the loose change from the same pocket he's been playing pool with the whole trip.

Considering that it has been necessary for me to work a second job during this first-year hazing period, I will keep my hard-earned money unless the driver has done something exceptionally good. That will probably change next year, however.

Josh M.

Before I leave for a trip I stop somewhere and get some $1s.. Then ill tip the van driver unless they just pops the trunk and does nothing to help especially in the wintertime when its snowing or somethin.... Other than that i will tip... Per diem covers that I think I mean you only need to put like 6 hrs per diem to get enough to cover a 4 day trip depending on what your per diem is.. Even with that you still have plenty to have some good meals... I never tip more than $1 though. I dont really even pay attention if anyone else tips or not I just give him the $1 and say thanks and move on

I'll bet they were tipping $1.00 20 years ago.

I usually tip $2.00 and I generally leave a buck for the maid, too, if the room was clean and I have all the toiletries, coffee, etc.

I refuse to be one of these cheap bastards that knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing. I feel very fortunate to be doing what I want to be doing and am certainly making a decent living . . . . I think I can cough up a few bucks here and there for a tip . . . . sheesh. Thank god it isn;t me driving that van or scrubbing that tub.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back