• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tipping hotel van drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Treat others the way you’d want to be treated!

Exactly. I dont expect my employer's customers to be giving me extra money for doing my job.

For me the "tip the van driver" is of academic interest only, as the places I go don't have hotel vans. However, in general, the expectation of tips has gotten way, way out of control. It seeems that every where you go, everyone has thier hand out, panhandling you for doing thier job. The snack counter in the atrium of Home Depot has a "tip jar", just to make sure you know that the cashier would like you to pay her for handing you a Snapple and your change. Fortunately this hasn't spread to the cashiers inside the store. If someone *wants* to tip a cashier, that's fine, knock yourself out, but putting up a sign directing you to give them money is panhandling, plain and simple. The hygiene issue is (presumably) under a little better control than the bum with the "will work for food" sign, but that's about the only real difference; other than that, it's begging.

Once, in Honolulu I (politely) asked a guy on the street which way to a particular bar. He pointed us in the right direction, and when I (again, politely) thanked him, he said in a snotty voice, that giving us the information ought to be worth a tip. Say WHAT??????? Sorry, this is just an example of how out of control this is. I'm always willing to help someone out, whether it's giving them directions (on more than one occasion, I've approched people who are obviously lost and offered help), or stopping for someone who's having car troubles (Yes, in some parts of the country people still stop and help each other out, I've done it, and had folks stop for me when I've had my hood up beside the road) I'm glad to do it. If I ever start expecting to be paid for it, I've become a lesser person.

For the guy who was so proud of the van driver blowing off the comair guys while she drove him around to restraunts: Let's look at what *really* happened there. The hotel has a contract to provide airport transportation to your airline's crews and Comair's crews. Transportation to restraunts is not something they are are required to do. Nothing wrong with it, it's a nice service but's it's over and above, an extra. Now, according to your description, the van drivers are refusing to perform the required services in a timely manner, in favor of providing a non-essential favor to a crew they have come to expect money from. Essentially, the van drivers are now running thier own transportation business, for thier own income, using the hotel's equipment, to the detriment of the hotel's business. As was pointed out by another, having the van driver neglect a crew costs the hotel money, either directly, by having to foot the bill for cabs for the ignored crews, or indirecly, by customer dissatisfaction, and perhaps ultimately, loss of a contract. I don't know about you, but if I had an employee who was costing me money by lining her own pockets, I'd have a little chat with her.

A slight change of subject...

Though I don't fly for the airlines, I probably spend as many nights in a hotel per year as you guys (70 - 80% of my time is on the road)

What is your feeling about tipping Hotel House-keeping.

I don't (mainly because my company will not compensate us for it) but I have heard that I should.

If it makes a difference, most of my hotel stays are check-in Sunday evening and check out Friday morning.

Would it be looked down upon if I stop tipping van drivers all together? I dont want to look like a cheap bastard, but if its okay not to tip, I'll save the money.

Well, for one...too many extenuating circumstances come into play. Pizza delivery is a luxury, transportation to the hotel is required. I'll leave it at that

Becuase of the guys attitude.. it is all about him... And he is so blantent about it as well....

This profession doesn't work when everyone is trying to get what they can for themselves... being an Air Line Pilot is NOT like trying to get the last seat out during the fall of Siagon.....

This profession works best when all of us come to work trying to help each other out....

Guys that show to just fly thier trip and go home, don't look out for thier crew, and basically suck the life out of everyone else are the ones that complain the loudest about how miserable this job is.....

It gets old when you pull hard on the line only to look up and see your fellow pilot sitting on the load complaining............

Welcome to life. It's not anyone's job to be the judge of their co-workers. Don't be surprised if the guy in the seat next to you forgot to read the instruction manual on how to meet every one of your expectations. Some people have genuine reasons for not tipping, and some people are just "thrifty" I agree with A Squared, too many people expect handouts today for doing their job. Hmmmmm....it says "VAN DRIVER" in the description...do you think you might be EXPECTED to drive vans? I have my own special way of tipping. I carry a sheet of those sticky Gold Stars with me...

Gentlemen and Ladies
Consider this especially if you work for a smaller airline flying to smaller cities on a regular basis. The people driving these vans get to know you Very Well. Tipping can sometimes make the difference in hanging outside the airport for a short amount of time or for what may seem like hours.

I have tipped when I was s 15k a year f/o at a commuter, I have tipped as a CA at a cargo airline, all for the same result, better service next time I get to town. And I am a "Thrifty" guy, but I am not a cheapskate. If one of my crew does not have the cash I come up with it, again so we get prompt service next time we arrive.

Tipping is indeed a personal choice, Crappy service don't tip. Good service, Tip and it may come back around to serve you well someday!

Don't be surprised if the guy in the seat next to you forgot to read the instruction manual on how to meet every one of your expectations.

That's why I made a handy brochure, and give it to everybody I fly with on the first leg. That way there are no misunderstandings. :rolleyes:

REZ O,, go pound sand dude. Thats right my entire attitude and personal caliber is based on my willingness or unwillingness to tip the van driver,,,,,,, Tool.

Latest resources

Back