• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tipping hotel van drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Look, y'all. Tip if you want to, don't if you don't want to. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a cheapass who would rather spen that tip money on alcohol for my crew.

You see, I totally respect that! Do what you want but don't come up with lame excuses trying to blame being a cheapa** on low pay, no change, etc, etc.

you chumps that don't tip regularly and then make up some half-a$$ rationalization why you dont are a bunch of punks. van not there? guy not in a good mood? come on.

At least take the skirt off and have the balls to admit you're too f-ing cheap to tip those guys. then at least you'll be a cheapa$$ instead of a guy too coward too admit the former.

My strategy: Aggressively stiff if I don't overnight there very often. Occasionally tip if you know you're going to be there a few times in a short period.
Here's how I look at it. It's a zero sum game. $1 more for him, $1 less for me. I like money--why GIVE IT AWAY when I am under no obligation to?

Oh yeah, I'm a cheapa$$. But when the service sucks, I feel less guilty about it.

If I ever meet that waitress, I will punch her in the face. In other countries, it is offensive to tip. It is a mentality thing in our country.

Wow, little wound up still after your vacation this weekend??

Back on topic, I do agree with you about tipping being a mentality thing in our country. In asian countries, there is no tipping that takes place, and employees work twice as hard because they take pride in doing their job, because they are grateful to have it in the first place.

I myself only tip if i happen to have any $1's on me when i get into the van. If I dont have any, i do not go out of my way to get any. However, like has been previously stated, I do tip every time for a ride to the mall, resturant etc.

Wow, little wound up still after your vacation this weekend??

Back on topic, I do agree with you about tipping being a mentality thing in our country. In asian countries, there is no tipping that takes place, and employees work twice as hard because they take pride in doing their job, because they are grateful to have it in the first place.

I myself only tip if i happen to have any $1's on me when i get into the van. If I dont have any, i do not go out of my way to get any. However, like has been previously stated, I do tip every time for a ride to the mall, resturant etc.

sorry for the hostility there sir. It just pisses me off that people expect a tip. Has anyone tipped you for flying them to their destination in the heavy iron?;)

You tip so the van driver will take you somewhere to eat...

You tip so the van driver will be on time for the next crew....

Oh, you want the van to be on time to pick you up, but the jacka$$ crew the driver just dropped off stiffed him, creating an attitude of apathy and lack of motivation to rush back to get you... all while your sorry, cold a$$ is wating for the van.... as you think the van driver is a jerk when its really your fellow pilot who you are advocating on this message board.....

You guys are gems.... real pros...

Its simple, if they load your bags, you tip them, if youre doing naps, as in no bags, then i usually dont. Im usually inside the hotel by the time they come around to the door.

I built a good relationship with a driver in MCO and simply asked how much he made in tips a day, or how much a year. I was Shocked to say the least. This guy was @ 37, had been working at the same hotel @ 12 years, makes @ 150-100 in tips a day and makes @ 50K a year! This is a very busy hotel and they have 5-6 drivers who all make 20+ trips a day to the airport and errands for guests.

I'm happier with the dollar

she makes a fuss about it to the customers.

Oddly enough, I've had this waitress before.

Had a Captain ask me once or twice for tip money in front of the driver...what the hell's with that $hit ?

Oddly enough, I've had this waitress before.

Had a Captain ask me once or twice for tip money in front of the driver...what the hell's with that $hit ?

That or asking the van driver for change. I always love that one... WTF?

If all I have is a $20 I got out of the ATM, I have two options: Stiff the driver, or ask him for change. I'm sure as hell not going to give him a $20!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back